PDA

View Full Version : Huge dilemma, need some advice

amorales
09-03-2009, 03:15 AM
My dilemma is whether to continue my community college BA degree (another 2 years) and then leave college to go obtain a certificate with Gnomon School of Visual Effects or drop my current classes at my cc and go straight to Gnomon for a certificate in High End CG

- have a back up degree + Certificate (takes longer)
or
- go straight for the Certificate

both routes to get into the industry

The question my father and I have is, with the current industry how much does your bachelors degree weigh vs a certificate with gonomon?

Does the industry care alot about a degree? or do they mainly look at portfolio work ?

Would a certificate from gnomon gaurantee you a position (if youre good etc) ?

how about a BA degree with certain Art schools? (AAU etc)?

or schools with certificates like VFS?

The safe route would obviously be to get a BA and then go to gnomon but im extremely eager to get into the industry , i feel like im wasting time going to my CC and learning nothing of the visual effects industry.

peppyspetcheetah
09-22-2009, 01:45 AM
I recommend finishing your degree first.

I am currently attending Gnomon School of Visual Effects and I also have a BA degree. I understand how eager you feel in getting into the industry. Having received my bachelor's degree, I am grateful to have that for my resume and allows me to have something to fall back on if I need to down the road.

I would say finish school & complete your BA degree then see what happens after that. If something should happen where you things didn't work out but you didn't finish your degree, then what???

Most students here at Gnomon have a degree of some sort. With that said, I'm not sure how much that certificate piece of paper will "guarantee" a job.

Best of luck to you.

gawl126
09-22-2009, 03:51 AM
I recommend finishing your degree first.

I am currently attending Gnomon School of Visual Effects and I also have a BA degree. I understand how eager you feel in getting into the industry. Having received my bachelor's degree, I am grateful to have that for my resume and allows me to have something to fall back on if I need to down the road.

I would say finish school & complete your BA degree then see what happens after that. If something should happen where you things didn't work out but you didn't finish your degree, then what???

Most students here at Gnomon have a degree of some sort. With that said, I'm not sure how much that certificate piece of paper will "guarantee" a job.

Best of luck to you.

I totally agree with this. Finish your degree so that you'll have other options. I have a BS in Computer Science and I was able to work part-time, using my degree, while trying to get a job in the industry. I was earning a good amount while also having the flexibility to search and interview. This is a better option than searching for a job for months without income.

If that certificate did guarantee a job, I'm sure no one would have degrees in the industry.

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2009, 03:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.