PDA

View Full Version : Non-photoreal rendering

JWRodegher
09-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi, I'm not sure this belongs here but as this isn't any aplication exclusive and it shows a theorie and a developed technique I though I would share.

I made a search but it seems to be broken sometimes and google this through cgsociety didn't give me any results so if it has been posted, sorry.

Here, see for yourself what I believe is a very useful and informative video about non photo real rendering techniques, cheers!

Linky! (http://cgnews.com.ar/2009/08/pintando-con-poligonos/)

Trauco
09-04-2009, 04:35 PM
That's friggin brilliant!

Re copado te pasaste man!

It may be a little hardware intensive tho, but I think it may be the final piece for a look i've been trying to achieve for at least a year (that is, using realistic textures but retain a painterly quality at the same time, like the anime "5 centimeters per second" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxKn5AwOTis))

mister3d
09-04-2009, 07:56 PM
That looks really cool, thank you for sharing.

Trauco
09-04-2009, 09:45 PM
I already managed to "almost" replicate the look on 3Ds max with mentalray.

The trick is to use a Noise modifier on top of the geometry, and animate the seed to cycle from 0 to 1, the problem is that i can't make max to do the cycle inside one frame, so to make this work i would need to render at double the frame rate of the target animation...

And it is already hardware taxing, sooo any ideas?

PS: Nevermind, i just had to use a longer shutter at the motion blur controls
PS2: This tech needs really absurd antialiasing to work, or at least to do so with mental ray's motion blur, I'm gonna have fun for all the weekend

catche
09-07-2009, 12:37 AM
that is absolutely great looking, thanks a lot for sharing

though as mentioned it's probably a bit slow to render

JWRodegher
09-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Haven't tried this method myself yet, but it does seem render expensive. I think it's a pretty clever workflow is it allows you to make things look painterly taking advantage of an actual 3d geometry without sacrificing detalis necesarily.

I'll keep this one in my "bag of tricks" for the moment I have the oportunity to try it out and see what are the pros and cons of the process. And who knows maybe discover a new one which is less render intensive.

By the way, feel free to share your tests!

sundialsvc4
09-09-2009, 01:47 AM
Anyone out there got a sense (yet) on how long this technique actually takes, say, on hobbyist-grade equipment?

Trauco
09-09-2009, 06:48 PM
"Anyone out there got a sense (yet) on how long this technique actually takes, say, on hobbyist-grade equipment?"

It depends a lot on the rendering engine, I've been doing several tests with rotating teapots, and to get a decent result think something around 4 times longer.

But you can speed it up a lot if you use cel shading instead of textures for your objects.

Next week i'll have spare time to do serious testing (comparing 3ds max defeault scanline rendering versus mental ray), and i'll post my results here.

I wish i had access to renderman, supposedly it has lighting fast motion blur.

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2009, 06:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.