PDA

View Full Version : A Few Big Questions...

Liamo0o
09-02-2009, 08:48 PM
How is it going CGTalkers,
first time poster, long time lurker. I am currently a student at University of California San Diego majoring in Interdisciplinary Computing Arts Major (computer science, art, cultural theory)

http://visarts.ucsd.edu/title/undergraduate-programs-icam

I have been playing around/ studied Maya for about 5 years now and have recently devoted myself further as I have serious questions about my aim in the future. In terms of skill level I have done a couple of the 'fundamentals' books, am working on an advanced texturing and lighting book, and have completed a good amount of online and digital tutors tutorials. I would say my skills are moderate in some areas and weak in others (animation, rigging, rendering). I plan on learning Maya more over the 2 years of UCSD I have left.

Some Questions:
I want to attend a VFX school after I graduate, my top choice is Gnomon, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a track - I feel I might not benefit much from the Maya Fast Track, and was wondering what people's experiences were with the other options available. cost is an issue but I am willing to take out loans.

my second concern is about loans, and the prospect of finding employment in the industry after graduation. I have no idea where my skills are at in comparison to what they need to be.

I am sorry for the long post and I know these sentiments have been echoed in the forums before and have been looking for other threads

taxguy
09-04-2009, 01:21 AM
My daughter attended the Maya fast track program and LOVED it. However, you won't get a reel from it. Think if it as a 10,000 foot comprehensive overview of 3d modeling and animation in 9 intensive weeks. However, my daughter loved each instructor who taught there and loved the amazing events that occur monthly at Gnomon in which she made some amazing contacts.

Frankly, I would recommend that you start off with the entertainment design program in order to hone certain foundation skills for 3d graphics unless you feel that these skills are strong enough and then go into their advanced computer graphics, 24 month program.

The 4 quarter Entertainment design program is $12,000

The Maya fast track is $9,325
and the 7 quarter, high-end computer graphics program is a whopping $45,500. It used to be $43,000,but they just raised the price.

Also this may seem a bit high until you compare it to other top schools like Ringling,which could easily exceed this. In addition, Gnomon uses top notch, experienced faculty,which certainly isn't cheap to get. Finally, classes , at least in the Maya program this summer, were very small and intimate. My daughter said that her classes averaged about 5-6 students.

CGTalk Moderation
09-04-2009, 01:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.