PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Hallway Lighting Study

danbucknam
08-06-2003, 09:44 PM
This was rendered in 3d studio max 5 with the brazil renderer. This is more of a lighting test than anything else, my first time using volumetrics with brazil. There are a few more things i plan on doing like adding more graffiti to the walls and dirtying up some of the textures more. I need some help with subtle things I can do, or things I can add to the scene to make it more interesting.http://www.layerten.com/art/hallway.jpg http://www.layerten.com/art/hallwaywire.jpg

jellyfish
08-06-2003, 10:11 PM
First, to address the lighting: I think you are doing pretty good there, but I think you might be going to heavy on the volumetric effect. Why are you using volume? Remember, light beams are invisible unless they are running into something, like dust, smoke, or steam particles. While you would have haze in the far distance due to the slight moisture in the air, there doesn't seem to be a reason for the haze coming into your building from the lights above. If this was an interior shot, you could use a little volume light (half or less of what you have now) and say it was from dust particles stirred up by a breeze or something, but in an outside shot like this there wouldn't be any dust to blow up, it would continually be swept away by natural breeze.

(I am making the assumption, based on the open end we are looking at and the bluish light from the left behind the camera that the hallway is largely open to the outside.) If you want to keep the level of haze you have now, you need a reason for it to be there, like a waterfall making mist, or possibly fog from a cloud from being so high in the mountains? (That would be hard to imply).

Also, if this is truly an ancient hallway, it is far too perfect. :) I think it could use some breaking/crumbling of the stone pieces, parts of the corners broken off from stress and water damage. Perhaps streaks and mold where rain has spilled into the place, and cracking/uneven floor stonework. I realize this is a lot of modeling, but it would make a huge difference in the apparent age. Right now the building looks about 10 or 15 years old. I can see you have some kind of water streaking under the crossbeams on the upper left, this would continue along the entire open space (unless they made gutters :) and would be more emphasised just before running under the crossbeam (where water caught by the beam would pour around it), and then it would be dry underneath the crossbeam.

The interior lighting could use some tweaking, like adding fill lights to simulate the way the powerful sunlight bounces off the floor and pillars. I think the interior needs to be a _bit_ warmer (not much, since it's outside), and more reflection of light-areas where the bounce of light off the floor would hit.

Nice beginning, though :)

jellyfish

danbucknam
08-06-2003, 10:51 PM
Jellyfish: Thanks for the excellent critique, I used the volume light because it is moist and foggy in the hallway, you are right that i probably can cut it in half.

The cracking uneven floor is a must do I am going to remodel the floor and walls. very good point about the crossbeams and the water running around them. do you have any suggestions on the best way to do the fill lights for the bounce?

and finally, what do you think about adding some trash and graffiti.?:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.