PDA

View Full Version : Custom Sliders

rquinn
08-06-2003, 09:23 PM
hi
ok my question is pretty simple
i have often seen animator use sliders with names like mouth cheeks lips smile etc
when mooving these sliders you would get a direct result on a model
so tell me is that a special kind of programming or application? can i download that or is it private programming like does anyone share that? or you really have to make it custom yourself if so are there tutorials out there on how to do that?

Array
08-06-2003, 09:42 PM
you can do this in pretty much any software package. in maya, you can use a few simple expressions to achieve this effect.

which package are you using?

rquinn
08-07-2003, 01:46 AM
I AM USING MAX 5.1

Array
08-07-2003, 02:10 AM
3dsmax has built in sliders that you can rigg to differant transformations like move and scale. i havent used max in ages though, so i have no idea where they are found anymore :(

mattregnier
08-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Here's how to get at the tool...reference the help file for Slider Manipulator and it'll show you the whole deal...

Slider Manipulator
Create panel > Helpers > Manipulators > Object Type rollout > Slider button.

Basically once the slider is created and a few properties are setup, you use the wire parameters to link the slider to the x rotation, or whatever you want it to control. Good luck!

rquinn
08-07-2003, 09:24 PM
wow didnt think it would be so complicated
it seems nearly impossible
i just wanna scale vertexs in a charachter using the sliders and i cant figure out how right now any help?

Array
08-07-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by -R.Quinn
wow didnt think it would be so complicated
it seems nearly impossible
i just wanna scale vertexs in a charachter using the sliders and i cant figure out how right now any help?

hehe, you think it's hard in max? just wait till you see how it's done in maya ;) Maya's sliders are a lot more flexible though....

mattregnier
08-07-2003, 09:59 PM
Just create the slider, then use wire params to the input > scale (x,y,z) direction of the verts you want to scale up...

rquinn
08-07-2003, 10:04 PM
yeah but how do i assign it to only those vertexes of my model?

Array
08-08-2003, 04:25 AM
does 3dsmax let you assign groups? if so, that would be one way to do it. select your verticies, group them, then link them to your slider.

zachgrachan
08-13-2003, 11:35 PM
in maya, blend shapes would be the easiest way, doesn't max have something quick like that? all you have to do is model the different shapes, select them all and then click "make blend shapes"

mhovland
08-19-2003, 02:40 PM
I havent used MAX in a couple years, but look into the Morpher modifier. I believe that give you sliders.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.