PDA

View Full Version : I = n00b_with_questions

That Adrian Guy
08-06-2003, 08:21 PM
Here's a question...

How many of you here are hobbyists? Seriously, I'm wondering if you guys have any projects that you worked on, without commision -just because you thought it was fun.

Projects like these are by far the most inspiring.

On that note, do any of you have links to your personal projects? Collabs w/ others, etc. Possibly even one with a 3D engine?

Array
08-06-2003, 08:25 PM
I = n00b_with_questions

well first of all, it should be I==n00b_with_questions

'=' is an assignment operator in most languages, and not a boolean statement.

Second, I'm currently a student. There are a LOT of industry professionals on this forum though, keep an eye out.

That Adrian Guy
08-06-2003, 10:12 PM
My statement was meant in the most modest way possible.

I work in a software related field and none of the engineers program because its fun.... they like the pay.

The Game industry is another story all together, I'm sure.

I was wondering if someone has programmed their own game on their own time, because I was interested in it.

If my comments sounded negative in any way, please disregard them.

Array
08-06-2003, 10:23 PM
hehe, nah, i was just being sarcastic.

if you want to check out some independant projects, you might be interested in www.flipcode.com

there are some great independant 3d projects out there too. Check out wings3d and pixie.

markdc
08-06-2003, 10:51 PM
I'm a professional Software Engineer and I also work on personal projects in my spare time. I enjoy doing both:thumbsup:

wlau
08-07-2003, 06:44 AM
Any of you guys ever ran across a decision as to whether to try and learn C++ or C first?

Any opinions?

playmesumch00ns
08-07-2003, 10:07 AM
Learn C first, then C++ is just C with knobs on. If you learn C first then C++, it really makes you see why OOP is such a good thing.

That Adrian Guy: Ex-student now (thankfully!) getting paid for writing nasty shaders

Boone
08-08-2003, 10:47 PM
I too learned C then C++.

I'm currently trying to finish my latest game - which is a Forgotten Worlds clone.

When its finished, I'll give you guys a link to it.

As I'm a "lone-wolf", I have the luxury of choosing what game I'd like to make.

After I finish my current project, I'm going to try making a 3D game. At the moment, my inspiration is the classic PC game "Ecstatica" and loads of old Monster movies like "Valley of Gwangi" or "Jurassic Park"...;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.