PDA

View Full Version : Gnomon: Entertainment Design Track?

kvanzant
09-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Hello everyone I am an aspiring concept artist. This is my first time posting here. I have a question about the Gnomon School of visual effects entertainment design track. Has anyone here ever been through this program or heard anything about it. I am guessing it is new. Unlike the High-End CG certificate program the entertainment design is not FASFA accepted and doesn't give a certificate upon completion. I went to art school half time for two years and didn't feel I was getting the education I was paying for so I recently quit. I am due to get out of the Air Force next May and am planning on attending at Gnomon. I have heard nothing but good things from the CG cert program, but I have heard nothing on the 2D entertainment design track. If anyone has any good or bad info on this please post it. Thank you so much.

Keith

taxguy
09-01-2009, 08:27 PM
My daughter took the Maya fast track at Gnomon this summer and also looked into the entertainment design track.

The Entertainment Design Track ( ETD) is not what you probably think it is. It is more of a fundamental, foundation program that teaches anatomy of the body, hand, head and creature drawing with some Maya. Since most art schools and art programs have some sort of foundation, this is the foundation program for Gnomon except it is geared more towards entertainment design and design for computer graphics.

I think Gnomon added this because they were previously criticized for not having courses in fundamental drawing and anatomy,which the entertainment design program attempts to remedy. Thus, it probably is a great program to start off with before you take the Computer Graphics program unless you already have the skills mentioned.

kvanzant
09-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks Taxguy! Yeah, I want to perfect those skills that is why I wanted to do the entertainment track. Afterwards I may do the CG stuff but my main goal right now is to become a 2d concept artist. Do you know if there is any hope of getting a job after completing the entertainment track? Thanks again!

taxguy
09-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Kvanzant, a lot will depend on your skills. I would imagine that you would need to get the skills that the Advanced CG program provides and would need to develop a great demo to get a good job in the industry. I honestly don't think that the entertainment design program alone will be enough. It simply provides you with the foundation for the upper level work.

MKScrivana
09-02-2009, 04:14 AM
The Entertainment design looks pretty neat, i myself was thinkin about attending but cant right now due to money reasons. I talked to administration and they were very helpful. Last i heard they are trying to combine ETD with the 2 year highend cert. program so it can be accredited, so you do not have to take private loans out(which is not a great idea). I think they were shooting for september if it were to happen.

All and all it would be pretty sweet to take that program for a year and then start learning some CG right afterwards.

kvanzant
09-02-2009, 04:41 AM
Wow that would be awesome. I am in South Carolina right now finishing my military enlistment up then I am planning on moving to LA to attend. Money is definetly an issue with the whole life in hollywood thing. When did you hear about this? I talked to them too and they said they are trying to get approved for the GI Bill. Which would be ideal because that would be less private loans I would have to take out. Thanks a lot for the information MKS!

MKScrivana
09-02-2009, 03:51 PM
no problem man. it was in june i believe when they mentioned combining the programs, it is not official yet but keep checking in with them. Best of luck!

-Mike

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2009, 03:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.