PDA

View Full Version : Help !

ahem
09-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Hello!

I'm making my 3D animation demoreel (using Maya 2009 ) and I need a help for setting up light in my scene. I'm just looking for a good setup which is not a time consuming rendering... like now I'm using two spot light with Mental Ray.. final gathering and all... but its taking too much time... like approximately 15-25 min. per frame.. the result is really good... but as Im working more on animation I don't want to spend too much time on rendering my scene...
so please give me good suggestions how do I make quick light setup which takes less time for rendering and gives good output too....

thanks....

nadmai
09-01-2009, 08:16 PM
The information you have given is minimal, so it is extremely difficult to suggest anything than turning final gather off to reduce render times.

Are you using multiple pass rendering
Is the camera moving or static in the shots
Are you using motion blur? 3d or 2d
Are you raytracing
What frame time is your target? How much ram do you have etc.

You could bake final gather as a map depending on the situation, or cache it or set up lights to fake bouncing

ahem
09-02-2009, 07:14 AM
The information you have given is minimal, so it is extremely difficult to suggest anything than turning final gather off to reduce render times.

Are you using multiple pass rendering
Is the camera moving or static in the shots
Are you using motion blur? 3d or 2d
Are you raytracing
What frame time is your target? How much ram do you have etc.

You could bake final gather as a map depending on the situation, or cache it or set up lights to fake bouncing

thank you so much for reply ...
I'm not using motion blur and I'm not having good idea bout multiple pass rendering so I'm not using that as well...

yes I'm raytracing...with final gather on...
my camera is not moving its static but there are more cameras placed for different angles..
I'm having 3 gb RAM n AMD dual core processor...
I'm targeting frame time is around 2 min. and max 3 min. but not more than that...

thank you again

nadmai
09-02-2009, 08:25 AM
For animation, multi-pass is an extremely useful tool, if not essential. There is a wealth of information on this subject on the web.

On the most basic level, if your camera is static you can simply render the background - all things that will not move in that shot - once, with all your current settings. It may take 25mins but if that image can be reused over say 100 frames, then the you're getting a net saving of render time.

You then render your characters separately, held on their own alpha channel and then render another where the objects in the scene are rendered with a material that is 'invisible' but catches shadows. These all then need to be composited in a separate application. To get the occlusion shadows which result from final gather, you will also need a ambient occlusion pass.

When I mentioned raytracing I meant reflection, refraction and shadows - again all of these eat render time. If you can see the shadows created from raytracing switch to depth maps and see if you can recreate the look.

Finally, motion blur is something you really should consider with animation, especially character based work, it will add more to the look than things like raytracing (depending on the situation I guess). In mental ray motion blur will hurt the render times somewhat so use 2d where you can or if you really pursue the multi-pass work you could investigate motion vector passes but this needs particular plugins and workflows and i think you may have enough to learn already!

ahem
09-02-2009, 09:09 AM
For animation, multi-pass is an extremely useful tool, if not essential. There is a wealth of information on this subject on the web.

On the most basic level, if your camera is static you can simply render the background - all things that will not move in that shot - once, with all your current settings. It may take 25mins but if that image can be reused over say 100 frames, then the you're getting a net saving of render time.

You then render your characters separately, held on their own alpha channel and then render another where the objects in the scene are rendered with a material that is 'invisible' but catches shadows. These all then need to be composited in a separate application. To get the occlusion shadows which result from final gather, you will also need a ambient occlusion pass.

When I mentioned raytracing I meant reflection, refraction and shadows - again all of these eat render time. If you can see the shadows created from raytracing switch to depth maps and see if you can recreate the look.

Finally, motion blur is something you really should consider with animation, especially character based work, it will add more to the look than things like raytracing (depending on the situation I guess). In mental ray motion blur will hurt the render times somewhat so use 2d where you can or if you really pursue the multi-pass work you could investigate motion vector passes but this needs particular plugins and workflows and i think you may have enough to learn already!

that is really useful information you gave... really appreciated...

well as I'm not wellaware with rendering and lighting tools.. Im not that clear with it yet...
this technique is really sounds good to me... If you can explain me more or suggest any link or any tutorial on this technique..

I'd really like to learn this...

thank you so much again...

abhiinlight
09-02-2009, 06:14 PM
For character lighting u can use 3 point lighting method and render it in maya software render it will render fast. for 3 point lighting method u can find some information on this link its realy good ....... http://www.3drender.com/light/3point.html
u can render beauty pass using this method.
and for ambient occlusion pass u can find some tuts here .....
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ambient+occlusion+pass&search_type=&aq=f
after that u can compose this 2 passes in any compositing software.

ahem
09-06-2009, 09:34 PM
For character lighting u can use 3 point lighting method and render it in maya software render it will render fast. for 3 point lighting method u can find some information on this link its realy good ....... http://www.3drender.com/light/3point.html
u can render beauty pass using this method.
and for ambient occlusion pass u can find some tuts here .....
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ambient+occlusion+pass&search_type=&aq=f
after that u can compose this 2 passes in any compositing software.

thanks for your reply and your suggestion ... ..

CGTalk Moderation
09-06-2009, 09:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.