PDA

View Full Version : CINEMA 4D R11.5 Released

Srek
09-01-2009, 11:10 AM
MAXON Unveils CINEMA 4D Release 11.5 - Professional 3D Graphics Just Got Easier!

Comprehensive upgrade provides powerful image quality, rendering and workflow enhancements and offers updated version of popular motion graphics module – MoGraph 2 – jam-packed with new functionality to inspire breathtaking 3D animations.

http://www.maxon.net/uploads/RTEmagicC_115screenshot_03.jpg.jpg (http://www.maxon.net/index.php?eID=tx_cms_showpic&file=uploads%2FRTEmagicP_115screenshot_03.jpg&width=1600&height=600m&bodyTag=%3Cbody%20style%3D%22margin%3A0%3B%20background%3A%23fff%3B%22%3E&wrap=%3Ca%20href%3D%22javascript%3Aclose%28%29%3B%22%3E%20%7C%20%3C%2Fa%3E&md5=8fac63b88194891d271f17d94621081d)MAXON Computer, a leading developer of professional 3D software, today announced the immediate availability of CINEMA 4D Release 11.5, a comprehensive upgrade to its highly-acclaimed 3D modeling, painting, animation and rendering software. Loaded with new features, CINEMA 4D R11.5 provides improved workflow and productivity, enabling professionals to create high-quality stills and animations quicker and easier than ever before. This release is the culmination of MAXON’s leading-edge technology and development. It features a substantially re-tooled and accelerated render engine, an all -new Picture Viewer, enhanced interoperability with leading compositing applications, and a major upgrade to its popular MoGraph module, which features an integrated Dynamics Engine and a host of new additions. CINEMA 4D Release 11.5 also provides full support for the latest operating system offerings from Apple and Microsoft, including Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Windows 7, respectively.

"MAXON is committed to providing powerful enhancements to CINEMA 4D that really improve the productivity of users across various disciplines, including film, broadcast, architecture, product visualization, games, multimedia and more," states Harald Egel, MAXON co-founder and CEO. "The many improvements in the new Release 11.5 will help all customers gain even better results, save valuable time and resources."

"CINEMA 4D gives my design team the ability to make miracles happen within ridiculously tight deadlines," said John LePore, associate creative director for Perception NYC (http://www.perceptionnyc.com/). "The new features and enhancements in Release 11.5, especially those in MoGraph 2, truly augment an already mind-blowing arsenal of creative tools."

Key Highlights of CINEMA 4D Release 11.5

Superior Rendering Performance Including New Bucket Rendering
Significant re-tooling of the render engine (http://www.maxon.net/en/products/new/cinema-4d-r115/render-engine.html) in R11.5 helps artists render more rapidly and efficiently. R11.5 takes advantage of state-of-the-art multi-core processors and adds new features such as render instancing and bucket rendering to provide users tremendous improvements in efficiency. Render-intensive tasks such as sub-polygon displacement have been accelerated immensely. CINEMA 4D users can now create scenes of greater complexity, as even billions of polygons can be rendered on modest hardware.

Enhanced Picture Viewer
The new Picture Viewer (http://www.maxon.net/en/products/new/cinema-4d-r115/picture-viewer.html) in R11.5 offers a vast set of creative tools for reviewing and editing images and animations, saving artists valuable time. Features include a render history with the ability to compare renderings, image filtering and adjustments, post filter effects, and improved layer management. The RAM player also enables users to play back animations with sound even whilst the rest of the job is still being rendered. This gives users the ability to check animations for problems as they render.

Improved Interoperability and Integration
Users of Release 11.5 can now more easily integrate CINEMA 4D into existing production pipelines:

Numerous improvements (http://www.maxon.net/en/products/new/cinema-4d-r115/motion-graphics-toolset.html) have been made to CINEMA 4D’s highly praised connectivity to Adobe® After Effects®, including support for additional object types.
Support for Apple® Motion now includes the export of 3D data.
Support for Autodesk® FBX® 2010.0 allows for quick and easy interchange between a variety of 3D applications.
Powerful New Motion Graphics Capabilities
The motion graphics module MoGraph – a staple with CINEMA 4D motion graphics artists due to its quick workflow, fast rendering and easy export to compositing applications – has been upgraded to version 2 and provides powerful new motion graphics functionality. New features in MoGraph 2 include: MoDynamics (http://www.maxon.net/en/products/new/mograph-2/modynamics.html), an optimized physics simulation package with which hundreds of objects can easily be made to collide or be affected by such forces as gravity or friction; PolyFX (http://www.maxon.net/en/products/new/mograph-2/polyfx.html) for providing quick and easy explosion effects; MoSpline (http://www.maxon.net/en/products/new/mograph-2/mospline.html) for cloning existing splines and animating them with forces and effectors; and many more exciting features for broadcast artists.

Support For New Operating Systems

MAXON continues to build upon its legacy of providing compatibility with the latest advanced operating system release features
:

Apple – R11.5 is fully compatible with Mac OS X Snow Leopard, including access to up to 64GB of virtual memory.
Microsoft – R11.5 is fully compatible with Windows 7, including enhanced file dialog.
Pricing and Availability
CINEMA 4D R11.5 and the optional MoGraph 2 module are available now from MAXON and its authorized dealers.

More Information here: http://www.maxon.net/en/home.html

SilverCity
09-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Wow! This sure sneaked up on us. Has the Dynamics module been integrated into MoGraph now? And, do we now have the equivalence of Vray proxy's? Overall, a very nice .5 upgrade. I'm off to see what my upgrade price is. :)

ThirdEye
09-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Wow! This sure sneaked up on us. Has the Dynamics module been integrated into MoGraph now?

Yes and no. This is a totally new engine that is getting its way into MoGraph. MoDynamics is in fact MoGraph+new RBD.

And, do we now have the equivalence of Vray proxy's?

Exactly. VRay Proxy, Modo Replicators, like that.

ThirdEye
09-01-2009, 11:34 AM
By the way let me underline one thing: the new features list says "Overall speed optimization in various areas.
". Let me be more precise: the new Timeline (dopesheet/fcurves/NLA) for example can be easily 100 times faster than before in many situations.

Srek
09-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Not to forget that the Multi Processing factor has been improved from ca. 1.8 to 1.9 and above. Does not sound much, but it makes a hell of a difference if you have 8 or more cores.
Cheers
Björn

LordSaddler
09-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Sounds very promising - I have only 2 questions, that were not mentioned in the Feature List:

Are the motion vectors finally fixed? Seems it had something to with the R11 engine, so maybe they work again in new R11.5.
Do we get full Multi-Pass support for openEXR now? 32-Bit PSD Support is nice, but I would prefer the industry standard.
Thanks! :)

Madcar
09-01-2009, 11:55 AM
hm...No Dynamic and Thinking Particles update!!!

LucentDreams
09-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Sounds very promising - I have only 2 questions, that were not mentioned in the Feature List:

Are the motion vectors finally fixed? Seems it had something to with the R11 engine, so maybe they work again in new R11.5.
Do we get full Multi-Pass support for openEXR now? 32-Bit PSD Support is nice, but I would prefer the industry standard.
Thanks! :)

Yes motion Vectors Are fixed in 11.5

No on the Multipass EXR still sadly, Speaking of industry standards though DPX is now supported.

ThirdEye
09-01-2009, 12:05 PM
hm...No Dynamic and Thinking Particles update!!!

Wrong. Check MoDynamics. Also some TP stuff has been fixed, but i'll leave that to Srek since he knows it much better than me.

leigh
09-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Finally! :)

Srek
09-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Also some TP stuff has been fixed, but i'll leave that to Srek since he knows it much better than me.
The nicest thing is true instances for TP particles, you can render a whole lot particles more now. Other than that TP got a couple of bugfies (as did every part of the application). Actualy 11.5 might be the version with the ove rall most bugfixes for years, one of the reasosn is the huge success of the bugreporting tool, many user sent their reports and helped MAXON to fix a lot of stuff that normal testing did not reveal.
Thanks to all who help on this :)
Cheers
Björn

LucentDreams
09-01-2009, 12:14 PM
All generators that generate copies of objects now can take advantage of render instances too, so not just the instance object but cloners, array object, Thinking Particles, Standard Particles, and with a lot of the general optimizations TP was part of that so TP should be a little faster in both viewport and rendering and save a lot of memory in rendering.

Madcar
09-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Wrong. Check MoDynamics. Also some TP stuff has been fixed, but i'll leave that to Srek since he knows it much better than me.

Wrong! Dynamics module is not MoDynamics! and MoDynamics is just a very small new feature for Mograph Module... and again TP particles has NO new feature, only bugfies and true instances!!!
Sorry MAXON, but I'm really disappointed!!!

LemonNado
09-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Modynamics.... render instancing... BUCKET RENDERING....

f
a
i
nt...

ThirdEye
09-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Wrong! Dynamics module is not MoDynamics!

Maybe you don't have it clear yet but MoDynamics is in fact a new Dynamics system. It basically replaces the old Rigid Body Dynamics that comes with the Dynamics module in your daily workflow. These things need development time, there's no magic wand. Also keep in mind this is a 11.5 release with a new Ram player, a new picture viewer, new render instances, an incredibly faster Timeline, new MoDynamics, MoGraph 2, new bucket rendering and whatnot: r11 has been released 1 year ago, i doubt they could make C4D r16 in a year.

Aritz
09-01-2009, 12:41 PM
- Is PNG format Quicktime dependant yet? (XP64)
- Is there any international online shop for non Germany, UK, Unites States people to avoid resellers?

SilverCity
09-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Anyone know when the U.S. upgrade prices will be posted? Keeping my fingers crossed, hope it's within my budget. :)

ThirdEye
09-01-2009, 12:46 PM
NO KEYFRAMES short, done by AixSponza with the new features of R11.5, essentially no keyframes were used here, everything's automatic:

http://www.maxonpodcast.de/movies/no_keyframes_720p.mov

Comments to the short here please:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=47&t=802046

telnoi-c4d
09-01-2009, 12:49 PM
- Is PNG format Quicktime dependant yet? (XP64)

It is independent.

ooo
09-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Sounds as an incredible new upgrade. Love the way you enhanced Mograph! All new features seem to be vast improvements! Love it!

I checked the german site for upgrades, but found no upgrade for Studio Bundle. And what is the Broadcast bundle?

Exited !!

odo

wzwaan
09-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Oh my goodness, I just wet myself :thumbsup:
Want have now!

xfon5168
09-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Anyone know when the U.S. upgrade prices will be posted? Keeping my fingers crossed, hope it's within my budget. :)

Probably when they wake up...

5AM in CA right now. :)

FreWe
09-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Indeed, an upgrade price from 11 Studio to 11.5 would be nice... especially if you bought Studio about 4 weeks ago... :argh:

okazaky
09-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Great .5 release if you ask me!

But there's one thing that I'd like to know: Does the new rigid body system of Mograph fully replace the rigid bodies of "Dynamics"? Or is it more like a ligt version of an upcoming dynamics module which will include rewritten hard- and softbodies?

I think this is very confusing for many C4D users.

Best regards,
Daniel

ThirdEye
09-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Great .5 release if you ask me!

But there's one thing that I'd like to know: Does the new rigid body system of Mograph fully replace the rigid bodies of "Dynamics"? Or is it more like a ligt version of an upcoming dynamics module which will include rewritten hard- and softbodies?

I think this is very confusing for many C4D users.

Let's say it doesn't fully replace the RBD in Dynamics, meaning that it now works only with MoGraph. For example if you need to make a single object a RB you have to make it a child of a MoGraph object and then apply the RBD tag to the parent. But it's already a lot better than the old RBD. I hope in the future Dynamics will be upated to get the new engine instead of the old one and maybe a new SBD system too.

okazaky
09-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks, that sounds logical to me.
So MG2 seems to be a pioneer for a new century of physics in C4D :beer:

Daniel

prayas
09-01-2009, 01:24 PM
First of all thanks to everybody at maxon for making such a great piece of software.

One question that's somewhat urgent to me is the modynamics thingy. You talked about it using Bullet as the engine? That's the same basic engine behind silverbullet4d? I was about to order the plugin from remo by the end of this week and now this 11.5 baby lands here.

I'm off playing with the demo now.

P..:

ThirdEye
09-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks, that sounds logical to me.
So MG2 seems to be a pioneer for a new century of physics in C4D :beer:

I certainly hope so :) Btw this is just my personal opinion and hope, not the official Maxon position. For what i know they could even scrap this one away in the next release and introduce a different one that proves to be even better, or maybe MoDynamics will remain in MoGraph and the Dynamics module will be rewritten or updated in the future using a different engine, maybe even a brand new one. We'll see i guess, i think nobody knows what it's coming next, even me or the other betatesters.

Nemoid
09-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Really interesting ! Nice to see its growing well ! Did they updated modelling tools too ?
I'd like C4D to offer a faster way to model into it, a bit like in Modo, for example?

ThirdEye
09-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Really interesting ! Nice to see its growing well ! Did they updated modelling tools too ?
I'd like C4D to offer a faster way to model into it, a bit like in Modo, for example?

I'm afraid, modeling hasn't been touched for r11.5.

phoenix
09-01-2009, 02:26 PM
well its a good news for C4D communty.

Regards

jorust
09-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Really good news. Thanks!

republicavfx
09-01-2009, 02:39 PM
thats an awesome update - wow. somebody slap the guy who said hes really dissapointed

ThirdEye
09-01-2009, 02:45 PM
The render update is that to the core app? How do AR3 relate to this update?
If i'm not wrong nothing changes in AR, all the rendering updates are core ones.

Constrict
09-01-2009, 02:45 PM
This is great! Love the videos! I was hoping for a refurbished modeling tool set but i am not complaining. I´ll keep my fingers crossed for the next update :)

The new features are excellent. And looking past the obvious thumbs-up features (like MoDynamics) i really like the new Picture Viewer.

- Colin

jorust
09-01-2009, 02:48 PM
The render update is that to the core app? How do AR3 relate to this update?

Shademaster
09-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Awesome vids, really explain what's new!

I was wondering, now that Bucketrendering is on the list, does this mean that NET render supports bucketrendering?

My favourite feature must be instances yay! :bounce:

Great work Maxon people!

jorust
09-01-2009, 03:12 PM
If i'm not wrong nothing changes in AR, all the rendering updates are core ones. You´re a mind reader! How do you do that, posting an answer to post #36 in post #34? :bowdown: ;)

But seriously, and sorry if I render as stupid, (pun intended)but does this mean we have buckets in AR3 now?

cmyk
09-01-2009, 03:15 PM
It's all fantastic. I don't think there's anything introduced that I won't take advantage of.

Maxon... You. You're good.

Now, hurry up and update the US prices! My wallet... she tickles!

Srek
09-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Net Clients use buckets for rendering as well, however that does not imply that single buckets are distributed to clients.
Cheers
Björn

Shademaster
09-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Net Clients use buckets for rendering as well, however that does not imply that single buckets are distributed to clients.
Cheers
Björn

Thank you for the answer. Still cool them bucketsrenderings. I really like the memory optimisations, those huge forrest scenes are coming closer and closer now :beer:

BigDaddy
09-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Nice!

Can you tell me more about "Compositing Background now works with Global Illumination (under certain circumstances)"? What are the circumstances?

cresshead
09-01-2009, 03:57 PM
looks like the server has JUST crashed on maxon's site for some of the pages

update>>looks like the site is back up again.

SilverCity
09-01-2009, 03:57 PM
I think I know the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway. Will Sketch & Toon benefit in anyway from the render improvements?

ThirdEye
09-01-2009, 04:12 PM
But seriously, and sorry if I render as stupid, (pun intended)but does this mean we have buckets in AR3 now?

You have buckets everywhere in C4D now, for both GI and non GI renders. Renderlines don't exist anymore, you can forget them :)

ThirdEye
09-01-2009, 04:14 PM
I think I know the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway. Will Sketch & Toon benefit in anyway from the render improvements?

Well Sketch can be faster because of the new buckets system and because of the speedups elsewhere. However unfortunately S&T itself hasn't been updated so it can't use render instances at the moment if i'm not wrong. Hope i'm wrong tho :)

Venkman
09-01-2009, 04:19 PM
You have buckets everywhere in C4D now, for both GI and non GI renders. Renderlines don't exist anymore, you can forget them :)

So on the new dual quad nehalems with hyper threading, you get 16 boxes (or buckets) instead of 16 lines?

ThirdEye
09-01-2009, 04:26 PM
So on the new dual quad nehalems with hyper threading, you get 16 boxes (or buckets) instead of 16 lines?

That's right.

SRCobb
09-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Hmmm.. it's a bit pricey.
I got it, though.

MikeS369
09-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Does the update for the Studio bundle include the Mograph update? Or do we have to update Mograph individually?

Srek
09-01-2009, 05:28 PM
If you currently own R11 Studio Bundle (which includes MoGraph) than the upgrade to R11.5 Studio Bundle includes the MoGraph 2 upgrade as well.
Cheers
Björn

MikeS369
09-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks Srek.

JookBoxer
09-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Is this the rewrite? If no, will there be a rewrite?

ThirdEye
09-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Is this the rewrite? If no, will there be a rewrite?

Ehm, rewrite of what?

JookBoxer
09-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Ehm, rewrite of what?

A rewrite of the core application.

ThirdEye
09-01-2009, 05:57 PM
A rewrite of the core application.

And why exactly would C4D need a rewrite?

MAN0
09-01-2009, 05:59 PM
does the update come via the new r11 updater when ive got a service agreement? if yes, when can i download it, cant see anything in the updatelist yet

Srek
09-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Only free updates come via the online updater, Upgrades you have to pay for and they are always delivered on Media.
Cheers
Björn

MAN0
09-01-2009, 06:27 PM
as far as i remember i could choose between "cd/dvd" or "download" when i checked the service agreement, i could be wrong though. would be awesome if licences with service agreement can update easily their package with an online update. thats what i call serice :)

JookBoxer
09-01-2009, 06:48 PM
And why exactly would C4D need a rewrite?

Maybe I'm just being picky. The way the view ports refresh feels a bit clunky.

ThirdEye
09-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Maybe I'm just being picky. The way the view ports refresh feels a bit clunky.

Could be, i dunno, feels fine here, but that thing would need everything but a rewrite of the whole core anyway. :shrug:

squidinc
09-01-2009, 07:43 PM
the spd speed up is pretty impressive!..

ediris
09-01-2009, 07:45 PM
MoDynamics and instances worth the upgrade.
FBX rewrite... so i could export joints zero out?Or they work like the old Mocca? Do they support animation?
Felicidades Maxon you guys did it again. :applause:
Edgard
PS: what is the benefits of bucket rendering?
The content from Brodcast Edition is included on the Studio Bundle?

ThirdEye
09-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Let me also link the Cineversity 11.5 videos, dunno if they've already been posted

http://www.cineversity.com/series/index.asp?spid=108

republicavfx
09-01-2009, 08:55 PM
"The way the view ports refresh feels a bit clunky."

lol...go use Maya for a week then come back

JookBoxer
09-01-2009, 09:44 PM
"The way the view ports refresh feels a bit clunky."

lol...go use Maya for a week then come back

I know maya is worse... I guess I've been using si too much.

fahr
09-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Did the developers do anything about the viewport interaction "issue"? Do I have to still manually choose and reset my viewport camera's focal point every 5 seconds? And be completely unable to focus on instances or references? It would be great if cinema 4d's viewport camera behaved more like Maya, or max, or blender, or xsi, or... well... every other app out there.

Everyone in my studio tested Cinema 4d 11 and unanimously found it to be almost unusable simply because of that simple issue. It may sound petty, but something as simple as rotating around a model while modeling is just pure pain. I suppose it's no big deal if you only know Cinema 4d, but if you know anything else, it's pretty unpleasant to work with. I would trade all of Cinema 4D's new features in exchange for this simple request (except for the fixed 2d motion blur... gotta keep that one) :)

Oh yeah, and this one too! :) Can you reference anything more complex than a simple model? Like a fully rigged character?

Kel Solaar
09-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Does Maxon has considered adding Python Support to Cinema4d, it would make some Scripters really happy :)

KS

Michael-McCarthy
09-02-2009, 12:09 AM
This looks like a great update to me. C4D really has some powerful tools. As it is I have been jealous of Sketch, Bodypaint, and original MoGraph.

Nice one Maxon!

Michael McCarthy

Venkman
09-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Does Maxon has considered adding Python Support to Cinema4d, it would make some Scripters really happy :)

KS

Try Py4d:

http://www.py4d.com/

Kel Solaar
09-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Try Py4d:

Waahhh nice :) I'll definitely give a look at that, thanks Venkman !

Umbra
09-02-2009, 12:50 AM
What's the upgrades to bodypaint?

ThirdEye
09-02-2009, 12:52 AM
What's the upgrades to bodypaint?

None, all it gets is the C4D core updates.

donelgreeko
09-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Try Py4d:

Hi! Py4D v0.9.9001 works in CINEMA 4D R11.5 but I recommend to wait a few days. I thought the new version is done before the new update of C4D is out.

The new update incl. R11.5 support will be out in the next days. Btw. there will be no API Changes and all plugins/scripts will work.

Cheers, don

SheepFactory
09-02-2009, 04:14 AM
The picture viewer is quite impressive.

Cf!
09-02-2009, 06:19 AM
Oh yeah, and this one too! :) Can you reference anything more complex than a simple model? Like a fully rigged character?

That was what I wanted more than anything.

ThirdEye
09-02-2009, 10:38 AM
That was what I wanted more than anything.

Xref's haven't been touched.

51M0N
09-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Wow, now that was a welcome surprise! Really nice new features, some of my top requests were realized, the picture viewer seems wonderful and the bucket rendering and render proxies are very important upgrades. I love the SPD speed upgrade which seems to make AR3 that much better for animation!
I didn't expect the mograph 2, which seems like a very intuitive way to do dynamics. Congratulations to the Maxon team, downloading the demo now!

Kerem
09-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Maxon rocks! Great work as always!

PixelTricks
09-02-2009, 04:05 PM
This release happened at just the right time for me. I haven't used C4d much in the past, just enough to learn the basics. Yesterday I had a project in obj format that would import into 3dsmax and after working with it about two minutes , max would crash. After reloading max several times I got frustrated and stopped work. Went browsing to cool off. Found the c4D release, downloaded the demo (thanks for the 42 day trial) , and loaded up the file giving me problems. I was able to work with it in c4D for several hours and not a single crash.

I love 3dsmax, but version 10 has just put me off, its bloated and buggy. C4D was like a breath of fresh air. EVerything worked and it didn't crash. The price is also right. I think they have a new convert .

cresshead
09-02-2009, 06:03 PM
This release happened at just the right time for me. I haven't used C4d much in the past, just enough to learn the basics. Yesterday I had a project in obj format that would import into 3dsmax and after working with it about two minutes , max would crash. After reloading max several times I got frustrated and stopped work. Went browsing to cool off. Found the c4D release, downloaded the demo (thanks for the 42 day trial) , and loaded up the file giving me problems. I was able to work with it in c4D for several hours and not a single crash.

I love 3dsmax, but version 10 has just put me off, its bloated and buggy. C4D was like a breath of fresh air. EVerything worked and it didn't crash. The price is also right. I think they have a new convert .

there are hotfixes for 3dsmax10...having said all that i've not installed it yet..still using max 2008 mainly and a bit of 2009...2008 is solid.

okay...back on topic!

Kerem
09-02-2009, 06:35 PM
That happened to me too in the past. Stability was the main reason. I'm using an Athlon 64 4400+ with 4gigs (just upgraded) easily using 4k textures on my scenes and render them at 3500pix wide with Radiosity and no crash at all.

ThirdEye
09-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Stability has always been the best characteristic of CINEMA 4D since i started using it when it was at its 5th version. If i'm not wrong there was even a guy (thorn3d) taking bets at Siggraph on the C4D stability years ago. The beta phase of R11.5 has been so intensive and accurate that imho this the most stable release of CINEMA i've ever used.

Lone Deranger
09-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Hmm.... all these new features and improvements sure look attractive. Certainly peaked my interest.
Looking at the online vids, I'm really digging the Picture Viewer and the micro polygon rendering speeds.
Downloading the demo and manual and looking forward to give it a go in what little spare time I can muster these days. :)

I have to commend the Maxon development crew for their unwavering and high quality support for OSX. Great to see it's all ready to go with Snow Leopard. Well done! :applause:

Addendum for those in the know... What are the license policies like for C4D and modules like AR3, hair, etc.? Is a single user allowed to install on multiple machines? Say a laptop and a workstation? What about render licenses etc.....?

ambient-whisper
09-02-2009, 11:42 PM
i have it installed on my laptop and main workstation. your only allowed to have one running at any given time, but you can install it where you want ( as far as i know ).

and if im not mistakened, serials work for both osx and windows. so if you got a windows workstation and a laptop running osx, the same serial should work in both. simlar as to what luxology does.

Lone Deranger
09-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks Ambient-whisper! Sounds good.

What about having an OSX install on both workstation and laptop? Would that work? (Provided they're not running at the same time).

i have it installed on my laptop and main workstation. your only allowed to have one running at any given time, but you can install it where you want ( as far as i know ).

and if im not mistakened, serials work for both osx and windows. so if you got a windows workstation and a laptop running osx, the same serial should work in both. simlar as to what luxology does.

ambient-whisper
09-03-2009, 12:03 AM
the combination is up to you :) but dont quote me 100% because i only have it installed on windows. but im sure i read that it is possible, so im hoping that whoever wrote about it was right :D

Ammarkk
09-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Interesting..:applause:

umblefugly
09-03-2009, 02:55 PM
the combination is up to you :) but dont quote me 100% because i only have it installed on windows. but im sure i read that it is possible, so im hoping that whoever wrote about it was right :D

Per Bjorn Marl from MAXON:

Since R11 a CINEMA 4D license is valid for OS X or Windows, you can switch between the two without having to repurchase or reregister.
However, the EULA states clearly that only one installation per license is allowed (excpet in case you have purchased the license to be used with the MAXON License server).
Also R11 is 32 and 64 bit on both plattforms, so you don't need to switch for that.

Just FYI :)

Kieguy
09-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Did the developers do anything about the viewport interaction "issue"? Do I have to still manually choose and reset my viewport camera's focal point every 5 seconds? And be completely unable to focus on instances or references? It would be great if cinema 4d's viewport camera behaved more like Maya, or max, or blender, or xsi, or... well... every other app out there.

Everyone in my studio tested Cinema 4d 11 and unanimously found it to be almost unusable simply because of that simple issue. It may sound petty, but something as simple as rotating around a model while modeling is just pure pain. I suppose it's no big deal if you only know Cinema 4d, but if you know anything else, it's pretty unpleasant to work with. ...

I recall recently watching an episode of the 'Maxon Video Quick Tip' podcast where they address quickly setting the pivot point of the camera, just tap the home key (mac) or insert key (pc). Looks very simple and quick to me.

podcast feed:
http://maxonpodcast.de/podcasts/podcast.xml

direct link to that particular movie:
http://maxonpodcast.de/podcasts/Tip29-Pivot.mov

Plus there's the various rotation settings for cameras:
http://www.maxoncomputer.com/tutorial_detail.asp?tutorialID=314

Not having tried Maya (or the others) in a long time for comparison, and admittedly not as active in C4D as I used to be (but getting back into it)...I can't be positive this gets you exactly what you want though. Hopefully it does or at least close!

Don't know about it working for instances or x-refs offhand. I notice they mention to move your cursor "over the mesh" before tapping home/insert.

bobzilla
09-04-2009, 02:24 AM
I've been trying for ever to try to get that camera pivot thingy to work. Never does.

What key combo am I supposed to use? What should I be in when I hover over the spot? No matter what I seem to do, it never works.

SilverCity
09-04-2009, 02:59 AM
I've been trying for ever to try to get that camera pivot thingy to work. Never does.

What key combo am I supposed to use? What should I be in when I hover over the spot? No matter what I seem to do, it never works.
I'm on a Mac and for some reason, Home key never worked right, so i remapped the shortcut key to / in the Command manager. You also have to place the pivot over an object. It won't work in empty space. If you're viewing through the Scene camera, deselect it in the Object Manager.

bobzilla
09-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks.

I'm on a Mac, too. Could be the problem.

I'll try your advice.

Bob

fahr
09-07-2009, 05:43 PM
I recall recently watching an episode of the 'Maxon Video Quick Tip' podcast where they address quickly setting the pivot point of the camera, just tap the home key (mac) or insert key (pc). Looks very simple and quick to me.

I know about that, and it works for meshes. But I can't stress enough how much this feels like a brutal hack to fix a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place. Additionally, that option doesn't work at all with references or xrefs, further solidifying it's "hack" status.

Problems with viewport go deeper than that, however. Zooming feels broken too. Many times the camera zoom becomes practically unresponsive. I can crank my mouse over and over across the desktop just to zoom in a little bit. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to why, and I couldn't find any way to reliable reset it. What's happening there?

I don't mean to sound troll-ish, as I think C4d is a VERY impressive app. My frustration stems from the fact that all of these features mean nothing to me if simple viewport navigation makes me want to throw my mouse or tablet out the window.

hvanderwegen
09-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes, the standard viewport navigation is rather sluggish, to say the very least. I use Lightwave, Blender and Cinema, and when I use my Wacom the other two 'fly'. However, setting the rotation, scaling and move speeds in the display settings will go some way and improve navigation no end. comparable to the other apps.

The camera's focus goes haywire quite often - only switching back and forth to parallel view seems to reset the viewport's focus. If anyone knows of another method?

As for xrefs, wouldn't you just edit them in a separate window?

Concerning the pivot "thingy', it does work: hover over a part of the mesh, hit <insert> or <home> (depending mac/win) to change the viewport's pivot point. Move the mouse cursor over empty space and hit the same key again to reset the pivot to the center of the mesh.

ambient-whisper
09-09-2009, 08:54 PM
but adjusting the speeds also affects transformation for modelling and stuff. so while your viewport will fly.. your objects will fly off into the distance as well :D

hvanderwegen
09-09-2009, 09:06 PM
You're right, there's a fine line here... (Maxon should add individual settings for both the viewport and object manipulation.) It's not perfect, but workable for me. The one thing that is extremely frustrating is the changing perspective, though - it really is one reason why I sometimes switch to working in other apps. I remember that that behaviour was present even as far back as version 6. You'd figure they would have solved that problem by now.

ThirdEye
09-09-2009, 10:02 PM
The one thing that is extremely frustrating is the changing perspective

What do you mean?

hvanderwegen
09-10-2009, 01:36 AM
The focal length of the viewport camera is reduced automatically when working - it happens to me often that I need to reset the viewport camera. The widget becomes hugely distorted as well. To reset the view, I switch back and forth between parallel view and the normal view. It's not a biggie, but sometimes frustrating.

Mind, I work in version 8.5 - I tested in the newer demo versions, and it still happens in those as well.

Srek
09-10-2009, 07:25 AM
With 8.5 you actualy work with zoom not dolly, this has been changed in R9 or 9.5, i can't remember exactly, but it was done several years ago.
You might like to try out the 11.5 demo, many things have changed since 8.5.

Cheers
Björn

hvanderwegen
09-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Actually, I tried the v11 demo a couple of weeks ago, and it still happened - problem is, I just do not know how to reproduce the effect exactly. It affects the focal length of the viewport camera at some point, needing a reset, while it does not seem to hamper custom camera's.

I would love to buy the newest version - great new features. However, at one point I just couldn't afford the upgrade pricing; upgrading isn't an option right now for me, so I'll stick with version 8 (with Mesh Surgery!). Besides, combined with Blender, Luxrender and 3dCoat I have everything I need.

Thanks for the suggestions.

CGTalk Moderation
09-10-2009, 11:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.