PDA

View Full Version : Fat Or Ntfs

jman
05-14-2002, 12:28 PM
I need to reinstall my OS microsoft NT.

What should I use for partition FAT or NTFS?

Also is it possible to have a bigger partition
than 2039 mb in FAT?

thanx
JMAN

ZrO-1
05-14-2002, 01:57 PM
OK first off go with NTFS. It is way more efficient and reliable than FAT. Next, 2039 is the limit with FAT16, FAT32 can handle more but not FAT16, NTFS it dosen't matter. If you have an option to use something other than FAT always use the option. FAT is a leftover from the DOS days and basically sucks a$$.

jman
05-14-2002, 02:00 PM
Wow thank's for the answer.

Let say that my original drive is c:
Now if I Install win NT on my new hard drive d:

I want to trash my c:
How can I know that my d: will boot.

Im scared that my computer will not boot because the system seem to boot from the c: even if I install win nt on the d:

hrydek
05-19-2002, 11:15 PM
If You install Win2K on d: drive leaving Win98 on c: you would be able to choose OS at the beginning of booting.

Greets

iC4
05-20-2002, 11:32 AM
just a question......is NTFS compatible with all programms?

ZrO-1
05-20-2002, 01:14 PM
the hard disk formatting is invisible to most programs outside of the OS. The few programs I've run across that do care about the disk format only care for it to be NTFS (often on programs that require Win2000 or higher). The only program that really cares about how the harddisk is formatted is the OS.

Now, if you are using Windows NT, then you want to use NTFS (NTfile system) for your harddrive. If you are using Windows 2000, you want to use NTFS. If you are using Windows XP, you want to use NTFS. The only time you should use FAT32 is if you have no choice otherwise (like in Win 95, Win 98, and Win Me). The NTFS is better in all ways than the FAT system. If anything, your programs will thank you for switching to it.

KayosIII
05-25-2002, 03:41 PM
Its not all that black and white. Fat will give you faster performance, NTFS is more reliable and wastes less space.
Fat is also easier to work with if you dual boot.

Adam Klein
05-26-2002, 08:45 PM
true right, I have three partitions setup

a 5gig FAT for Windows 2000 :C

a 20 Gig NTFS for Programs :D

and a 30 Gig NTFS for Files :E

I don't know much about the details, but FAT is MUCH easier to recover, so I've been told everytime I have OS problems, which is essential, thats why I do Windows on that

Also having window in its seperate partiton is good because Windows constantly writes to itself as you use your comp, by keeping it seperate keep that info from becoming fragmented with the other stuff.

plus when it comes time to defragment you'll notice that your C drive needs it often, and your D and E very little.

this system has worked wonderfully, hope it helps

AK

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.