PDA

View Full Version : Siggraph Papers discussion

Taos
08-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Siggraph is over, and like every year, we developers have a ton of information and ideas to try out and decide if it's worth implementing. So what interesting nuggets have you all found this year?

Right now, I'm working my way through the hair course. A ton of information that makes it easier to finish up my hair plugin (imagine that!). One paper included in the course notes has some information that I've sorely missed (don't have it handy in front of me right now, I'd describe it better).

I also found some of the texturing ones very interesting. The Graphcut Textures (http://www.cc.gatech.edu/cpl/projects/graphcuttextures/) paper really caught my eye. Looks like a great way to make slightly varying texture maps. There's a similar one Synthesis of Progressively Variant Textures (ftp://ftp.research.microsoft.com/users/bainguo/sig03/sig03-PVT.pdf) that looks pretty nice, and might to better for organic characters, but is a bit too complex for my needs. Looks interesting though.

Any plans to implement some of these new techniques?

Rhs_CG
08-06-2003, 11:21 PM
Which paper had the info on hair?

Mindmatter
08-06-2003, 11:53 PM
I did a project earlier this year trying to implement some sort of texture synthesis in order to be able to remove elements from images. I based that project on work done by Alexei Efros and Thomas Leung (Texture synthesis by non-parametric sampling).
Since then I havn't really looked at texture synthesis but the work done in "Synthesis of Progressively Variant Textures" looks interesting.

Graphcut textures I've got mixed feelings about. The image texture result doesn't look that good. It has some sort of cut'n'paste feel to the resulting images. Especially with non stochastic images. On the other hand you don't seem to get as much "broken objects" as with the Efros method. But I still don't find the resulting image pleasant to look at.

I haven't really read the papers yet so maybe I shouldn't say anything before I've really looked at what they've done and what their intensions where (almost falling asleep here and mosquitos constantly crashing into my monitor). But this is the first impression I got.

I guess I have a lot of reading to do now with SIGGRAPH being over and all.

If you have links to more papers you've found to be interesting, feel free to post them aswell :)

Taos
08-07-2003, 12:15 AM
Rhs_CG: Course 34 is sort of a clearing house for hair papers. If you're into that topic, you'll want to pick up Robot Dynamics Algorithms as well. Not a light read, but all those papers are based on it and requrie it.

Mindmatter: Yeah, I've noticed the cut and paste feel too. I'll take a look at the Efros and Leung paper. Seems like a really powerful tool for texture artists. Thought I might take a look at the functionality.

After a quick glance at the efros paper, it looks like it does a much better job for extending textures. The samples they give seem to work best on "noisy" textures. The graphcut method can preserve the integrity of the parts that are used from the sample image.

Either way, I haven't chalked anything up to actual development, but that's definately one on my list. Ought to get to it around July of 13235

Space Penguin
08-07-2003, 08:06 AM
I'd like to recommend flipcode's siggraph2003 review:

http://www.flipcode.com/misc/siggraph2003.shtml

It's written from a game-developer's point of view. Pictures included.

playmesumch00ns
08-07-2003, 08:49 AM
Marschner, Jensen et al.'s Light Scattering Through Human Hair Fibers looked interesting, but the results, while better then Kajiya's method, aren't all that amazing.

For me, the best stuff is always the RenderMan course, and this year didn't disappoint, especially ILM and Pixars methods of affordable SSS approximation. Pixar's bit on shading corals was very good too.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.