PDA

View Full Version : LESSONS LEARNED (NEO-RACE): Lets TalK!

RobertoOrtiz
08-31-2009, 10:25 PM
First I would like to congratulate all who were able to finish
their entries for the current challenge. I am very happy with the quality of the entries that were submitted.

So Tell us

How did you guys felt about the dateline?
How did you guys felt about the supplied materials?
How would you guys have felt if I had provided filmed material?
What were the biggest challenges in finishing the challenge?
What were the biggest roadblocks?
Was the challenge complex enough?

Looking forward to your comments

-Roberto

RayRay
09-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Hello Roberto,

I thought this challenge was great all around. The reference material was well put together and the dateline was more than reasonable. The challenge for me was balancing my full time and part time job along with the challenge workload which is why our entry turned out to be so simple. For this challenge I don't think filmed material would have been as helpful as say the flying car challenge, where the goal was to composite into a live backplate. The biggest roadblock on these challenges for me has been creating all the assets needed before beginning fx work. After modeling and rigging my fx work on the car was almost an afterthought. I saw in an earlier post about taking results from a modeling challenge and using that as an asset bank for fx challenge work - i think that would be a cool idea to try out. Although I really did enjoy teaming up with my friends and splitting up the tasks this time, gave us a great result I think. That way we got make a custom piece instead of using a model bank. Having a blast doing these, keep up the great work! Great job everyone on the entries!

Ray

Darknon
09-01-2009, 04:06 PM
This has been a great learning experience for me. I think my biggest mistake was to try an do a whole race, instead of just focusing on one or two scenes, and bring them up to level. But the problem is that I'm an animator, so I really can't make cool environments or models. So that is why my entry is very animation heavy.

I spend too much time on trying to make a cool road, and figuring out how to put the pieces of the road together with loops, twists and what have you, and ending up using the straight part of the road in most scenes.

So I guess that planning was the biggest roadblock to me.

the deadline was fine to me. I don't think we should use more than one month. I think the problem with this one, was that it was in the middle of the summer vacation, for me at least. So I didn't really have more that 12-14 days at home to do this.

To be honest, I didn't really look at it :(

you mean like a background plate? I wouldn't want that. It would turn out to be a technical challenge with camera matching and stuff like that.

What were the biggest challenges in finishing the challenge?
Biggest challgenge to me was to keep it simple and focused. My project became too big really fast, and it did stress me out.

Planning... I just started animating scenes I thought were cool, and suddenly I had some scenes that didn't fit together at all. And if you want to show more than one scene, it really has to have some kind of progres or story to. As simple to a red car following a blue car. So in the end I had to make alot of small scenes to get the big ones to make sense. So, the roadblock to me was that I didn't make a clear vision of what I was going to do.

I think the challenge was really good. But I do think that is was more focusing on modeling, making a cool vehicle, and vehicle rigging. Or.. It was a little confusing to me what kind of challenge this was. I can easly understand a meteor strike, or planecrash or something like that. I think that "make a race as it would look 50 years from now" is a little difuse I think.

Anyways, this has been really fun to do, and I'll definatly keep my eyes on upcoming challenges :)

ParamountCell
09-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi Rob,
Great Idea for us to speak about our thoughts and feelings towards this challenge. I really enjoyed it.

It was decent,the reason I wanted more time is because I had two weekends away so that was six days away from a PC.

I didnt use them, I had originally planned to use them as background racers, but I never got round to it. My design was supposed to be a new monowheeled version.

I probably wouldnt have used it since I am trying to build a pipeline that I am comfortable with.

What were the biggest challenges in finishing the challenge?As I have mentioned before. I have had no education in cg apart from a degree in Computer Science Graphics and games which was just a glorified IT course. I have never worked in the industry, everything I am learning is due to the internet, books, dvd's and imagination. So I often feel I have bitten off more than I can chew, I also feel a bit embarresed providing low quality work, with a low spec pc, against professionals or teams of professionals who have strengths in so many areas.
Render time, my pc is so old, and I have had so many harddrive failure errors. I think the next challenge may be my last on this 8 year old baby.

Yes it was :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-01-2009, 08:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.