PDA

View Full Version : What resources for a path towards TD?

BadMange
08-06-2003, 01:57 PM
I'm currently learning Maya, but any info will be helpful. I'd like to learn the basics for becoming a TD and was wondering what is recommended reading/learning?

I know there are different TD's for each aspect of computer animation, so please post what your recommendation is for, ie. FX, char animation, etc. Not only will this info be helpful to me, but I think it will be very helpful to others starting out in this field.

Many thanks in advance!
Bad Mange

Array
08-06-2003, 05:14 PM
David Gould, technical director over at WETA Digital (the guys who made Lord of the Rings) put out a book about programming in Maya using Mel and the C++ API. In fact, I even got to interview him about it, check it out:

http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=1040&page=

EDIT:

btw, what part of Chicago are you from? Are you going to school?

BadMange
08-06-2003, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check it out!

I'm originally from the 'burbs of Chicago, finishing up my BA at the IL Institute of Art, Chicago campus. Can't wait to get out into the job market!

What about you, are you from here? If so, where did you grow up?

-Bad Mange

Array
08-06-2003, 05:32 PM
went to highschool in Northbrook. Right now I'm at DePaul working on a double major in computer science and computer graphics programming/development.

are you on MSN messenger or AIM, or do u use IRC? you should stop by sometime if you wanna chat.

macke
08-07-2003, 01:00 AM
I'm very interested in taking the path of a TD, writing shaders most likely.

My brother lives in chicago (well, rolling meadows, but you know ;o)), and I'm actually pondering the idea of moving over there. I'm in sweden right now but I figured going to chicago to find a school to suit my needs would be pretty cool. You guys have any thoughts on that, like school recommendations or what not?

Array
08-07-2003, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by macke
I'm very interested in taking the path of a TD, writing shaders most likely.

My brother lives in chicago (well, rolling meadows, but you know ;o)), and I'm actually pondering the idea of moving over there. I'm in sweden right now but I figured going to chicago to find a school to suit my needs would be pretty cool. You guys have any thoughts on that, like school recommendations or what not?

Im actually persuing the same path right now. Trying to get into shading TD. DePaul has a decent program for graphics programming. You take classes like OpenGL and Renderman.

BadMange
08-07-2003, 01:33 AM
Array, I went to high school in Hinsdale. I'm occasionally on AIM (BadMange) and MSN (Bad_Mange), rarely on IRC. I take it your username is Array on all of them? I'd like to check out the IRC for CGTalk sometime. We'll have to chat sometime soon.

So I take it that to become a TD, one needs to have a computer science degree of some sort? Are there any TD's these days that are self-taught?

-Bad Mange

mattregnier
08-07-2003, 03:00 PM
BadMange-
My one buddy is a TD at Lucasarts, and he got there by going through the computer graphics program at Purdue University. He just basically played around with Maya, and starting learning how to script in Mel. He wrote this really slick network render interface to do batch rendering for maya with mel, and voila, he got hired on as a TD out there. Most of us interviewed for the position, but the reason he got it straight out of college was plain and simple...he knew how to script.

chips__
08-07-2003, 03:33 PM
Well, i'm desperately trying to start doing more TD work, but i don't have a degree from anything but highschool. It does make a lot of the math harder, since i have to read up on it myself... but i hope it'll work out

BadMange
08-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Thanks Matt, the info is appreciated!

-Bad Mange

macke
08-08-2003, 01:54 AM
Great thread! Thanks for the insight Matt! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.