PDA

View Full Version : Disney to Acquire Marvel Entertainment

isoparmB
08-31-2009, 01:42 PM
BURBANK, Calif. & NEW YORK - (Business Wire) Building on its strategy of delivering quality branded content to people around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE : DIS) has agreed to acquire Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE : MVL) in a stock and cash transaction, the companies announced today.

Link (http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/disney-to-acquire-marvel-entertainment,942514.shtml)

Whoa.

elvis75k
08-31-2009, 01:45 PM
"Disney is the perfect home for Marvel’s fantastic library of characters given its proven ability to expand content creation and licensing businesses,” said Ike Perlmutter, Marvel’s Chief Executive Officer. Ok, now this is terrible isn't it?

Nemoid
08-31-2009, 01:50 PM
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this will be a great DAMAGE for the whole comic book industry !

imashination
08-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Great news! Maybe the spider man will go bite that mouse's head off?

danlefeb
08-31-2009, 02:12 PM
Cut to Keanu Reeves on the top of a building. Whoa.

RobertoOrtiz
08-31-2009, 02:17 PM
This is huge...

Whoa!

isoparmB
08-31-2009, 02:19 PM
Additional links:

here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090831/ap_en_ot/us_disney_marvel_entertainment;_ylt=Am5jYr9onoU4RA5rDJDik_hxFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTJ2a2UzbnIyBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkwODMxL3VzX2Rpc25leV9tYXJ2ZWxfZW50ZXJ0YWlubWVudARjcG9zAzEEcG9zAzIEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDZGlzbmV5dG9hY3F1)

ShinChanPu
08-31-2009, 02:27 PM
OMG!

Will we see this???:

http://shinchanpu.250free.com/images/XMen4.jpg

aghill
08-31-2009, 02:40 PM
thats really crazy...

I wonder how thats gonna go. Movie-vise I havent been impressed by too much of the Marvel stuff lately. Too repeatative and boring.

Maybe Disney can bring forth some interresting stuff with Marvel. At least Marvel will be under the Disney distribution maybe?

Anyways.. its crazy...

Octave13
08-31-2009, 03:01 PM
This is horribly frightening, but at the same time.... Pixar can finally make a spider-man movie. *gasp!* Now I'm torn.

ronaldomiranda
08-31-2009, 03:04 PM
the Marvelous Marveland just born...

danielmd
08-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Third party deals will continue as forecast. So until those deals with Sony pictures, etc... run out, Disney will not be distributing any movies like spider-men, etc... In the long run, Disney may renegotiate the deals or bring the franchisees in-house.

It's a way for Disney to capture a bigger roster of characters, and to improve it's perception with boys. Increase market-share with action-figures, and other merchandise. Marvel will very much be run like Pixar, with minimal input from Disney, they just want the synergies and the cash ;)

IMO: It makes more sense this deal with Marvel that has 5.000 character, vs pixar that has 5 IPs, some of witch are dead-ends, i doubt there will be a walle 2.

Nemoid
08-31-2009, 03:15 PM
If Disney wont keep the Marvel main staff for comic books as is right now, making their marketing team influence hoew they manage comics, or, even worse, firing people like Quesada and putting at his place some dumb marketing guy, the risk is marvel universe will soon sink down ! They are mainly interested into Marvel characters, because of movies. Problem is they don't know so much anymore how to make movies nor comics...:(

TheAlienGus
08-31-2009, 03:17 PM
WHAT IS THIS MALARKY? * facepalm *

ha-dou-ken
08-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Is this for real??(rhetorical)

Wt...f...

Pufferfish
08-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Can't wait for the MARVEL ON ICE!

Stinkfist
08-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Disney is an enormous company and I dont think this will change anything really. Its not like they would go in and closedown all of marvels non-child-suitable comics and disney-fy spiderman.

..or maybe they would? :curious:

robcat2075
08-31-2009, 03:58 PM
I used to work for a large company whose CEO would openly say "If we're not innovative ourselves, we can just buy a company that is."

They're bankrupt now, but he got out with his retirement parachute before that happened.

JRBRAZ
08-31-2009, 04:00 PM

hehehe

and a sweet and lovely Wolverine for lill kids ..

angel
08-31-2009, 04:10 PM
hehehe

and a sweet and lovely Wolverine for lill kids ..

they already have that in Vsmile lol
http://www.vsmileshop.com/images/spider-secret-cartridge-web2.jpg

csmallfield
08-31-2009, 04:27 PM
This really could be a good thing. More financial backing and resources.

Disney actually owns alot of companies you wouldn't expect, like Miramax. I don't think they would interfere with the day to day operations, because apparently it's going well at Marvel, otherwise they would not have purchased it.

Only time will tell.

-Chris

RobW720
08-31-2009, 04:29 PM
Kingdom hearts is gonna get a whole lot more violent :D I wanna see wolverine go all berzerk on donald duck in the worst way

plunq
08-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Well at least they got to celebrate their 70th anniversary. Hopefully Disney will give more money towards Marvel's animated movies and shows and let the Avengers movie be awesome without making it too Disneyfied.
Kinda feels like the day Autodesk announced they were buying Maya.

LadyMedusa
08-31-2009, 04:42 PM
I think Disney has some darker stuff too.. Not just kid's stuff.
The only bad thing I see here is McDonalds toys and an animated series about the marvel heroes as kids, babies or college students exploring theire superpowers before they acctually get them (well, those not born whit them).

I don't think there will be much changes.

mecos
08-31-2009, 05:39 PM
i might actually attend disney gay day now

Karnageddon
08-31-2009, 05:46 PM
This is very disturbing news, most of my favorite superhero's belong to marvel and the last thing this world needs is "Mutant Academy Musical" starring Mickey Rooney as Professor Charles Xavier and Dwayne Johnson as Mystique.
There is so much evil in this world, thank goodness Batman is owned by DC.:love:

Michael5188
08-31-2009, 05:52 PM
This really could be a good thing. More financial backing and resources.

Disney actually owns alot of companies you wouldn't expect, like Miramax. I don't think they would interfere with the day to day operations, because apparently it's going well at Marvel, otherwise they would not have purchased it.

Only time will tell.

-Chris

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm thinking. Everyone is reacting to this like it's going to change everything, but in all honesty I bet in a month nobody is going to even remember/notice. I mean Disney owns ABC, a channel with shows such as Lost or Desperate Housewives, not exactly kid-friendly, disney-esque. They also own ESPN, they don't force the sports show hosts to wear mickey ears. I don't see Disney changing anything, I think this will just show an expansion in distrubution and merchandising, and there's nothing negative about that. (from what I see)

lwrath
08-31-2009, 06:09 PM
The next fantastic four movie will star the Jonas brothers and Miley Cyrus as the invisible woman. a talking dog will be Scooter, their gamma irradiated pet. A touching musical about love, waiting for marriage, and acceptance of animals no matter how contaminated with deadly radiation poisoning they might be.

Morien
08-31-2009, 06:11 PM
...There is so much evil in this world, thank goodness Batman is owned by DC.:love:

DC's owned by Time Warner.. Not exactly lesser of two evils there. ;)

RobertoOrtiz
08-31-2009, 06:15 PM
Here are some reports...
John Lasseter met with Marvel last week about a possible team-up between Marvel and Pixar and got "pretty excited, pretty fast." They say there's definitely an opportunity there.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=58547

beaker
08-31-2009, 06:29 PM
There is so much evil in this world, thank goodness Batman is owned by DC.:love:DC is owned by Warner.

edit..... woops, someone beat me to the punch.

mecos
08-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Here are some reports...
John Lasseter met with Marvel last week about a possible team-up between Marvel and Pixar and got "pretty excited, pretty fast." They say there's definitely an opportunity there.

hey roberto, this would be a good daily sketch topic.

anyway, while i don't think there will be many changes to... there will be more variations of which will certainly dilute the brands of many comic franchises. fantastic four on ice will happen.

it would be interesting to see donald duck and howard the duck together tho.

Karnageddon
08-31-2009, 06:57 PM
DC's owned by Time Warner.. Not exactly lesser of two evils there. ;)
DC is owned by Warner.

edit..... woops, someone beat me to the punch.

I absolutely wont refute that but my comment was strictly satirical towards the quality and demographics of Disney.*
Warner may not be the most ethical, but at least they don't put out crap 99.9% of the time, that would make almost anyone question the existence of a higher being; for allowing it to happen.

*My opinion stems from the constant bombardment of Disney products in the retail market: We dont want overpriced Hanna Montana blank dvd's, we don't want High School Musical Christmas tree decorations and in the future, we certainly don't want a controversial Wolverine doll that preaches ethics in a cutesy voice.

SmallPoly
08-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Does this mean that Incredibles 2 can now legally use the word "superhero?"

I'm also worried about how Disney may try to sanitize and re-brand things.

squidinc
08-31-2009, 07:30 PM
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6839/3wallpapersbeautybeast.jpg

x men 4?

kelgy
08-31-2009, 07:31 PM
I am surprised and yet it makes sense since Superman ended up with Bugs Bunny...

I would have liked to see what Marvel did with its independent movie projects as Iron Man and the Hulk 08 seemed to be going in the right direction.

I dont see how Marvel and Pixar fit. Marvel at its best tended to take a more gritty realistic approach to superheroes and Pixar's output seems more geared towards general audiences.
The Walt Disney label is a different story-since the Pirates movies were anything but kid friendly with its violence and humor.

Not sure what else to make of it until there is actual news on what happens next...except the confusion between Donald Duck and Howard the Duck will only get worse. They always looked the same to me. :/

Bog
08-31-2009, 07:33 PM
Personally, I'm thrilled that Iron Man 2 will be a musical.

lwrath
08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Raven Symone stars in Storm -the high school years
where she struggles with being made fun of for being fat, african, and annoying

lwrath
08-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Kingdom hearts will now have the xmen in it
donald being carried by Archangel to kill one of the evil Lords with an oversized Key

lwrath
08-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Avengers is now going to be done with talking animals...
it's new title will be Babe and the barn yard avengers

lwrath
08-31-2009, 07:58 PM
when you go to disney land you gonna have venom, Dr. doom, and Carnage come around and shake hands with the little kids

lwrath
08-31-2009, 07:59 PM
and the jonas bros will be appearing in the Hulk sequel to lull the hulk to sleep with their music

CHRiTTeR
08-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Its just business... Its more about the money and widening their market then 'upgrading and mixing content' from other series, im sure.

Octave13
08-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Here are some reports...

This makes me giddy like a school girl, and the whole transaction totally worth it, IMO. Oh, god please let Pixar make an awesome animated Spider-man movie. Or X-men! This has been my dream for years. Oh, the possibilities!

Apoclypse
08-31-2009, 08:39 PM
Here are some reports...

The Incredibles the Comic book?

The Incredibles vs. The Fantastic Four?

The Incredibles meet Spiderman?

Wolverine and The Incredibles?

The Incredibles Unlimited?

The Uncanny Incredibles?

Team Incredibles?

cheebamonkey
08-31-2009, 08:54 PM
Throw Michael Bay into the mix and it'll be TOTAL BAYHEM!

Kanga
08-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Anyone know why Marvel sold? I can imagine comics might be in trouble as a printed medium but I thought with the swath of films they would be ok.

Felipe
08-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Does this mean Universal Studios will have to get rid of all Marvel attractions in Orlando, like Hulk rollercoster and Spiderman? :)
Will Disney build a Marvel Theme Park? Nice...

Solothores
08-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Might just be a good time to cash-in. Aside of that, I don't see how more financial backing should make a big difference, there is only so much stuff-of-its-kind you can release within a given period of time, at some point all the money of this world doesn't make much difference if you are restricted by availability of other resources and I thought Marvel seem to have had no problems, to get good movies done (ok, also bad ones). Of a collaboration with Pixar, I am kinda having mixed feelings. I enjoyed the fact that Pixar was creating (mostly) stuff without any big franchise ties, I thought that seem to have been something that keept them fresh. On the other side, who am I to judge what Pixar could unleash, teamed together with the Marvel Universum. I guess we will have to wait and we will see. :)

lwrath
08-31-2009, 09:42 PM
this marks the end of days...
I predict the world will be destroying in less than 3 years or 3 disney-fied marvel prequels.

wow... that's 2012..

danielmd
08-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Anyone know why Marvel sold? I can imagine comics might be in trouble as a printed medium but I thought with the swath of films they would be ok.

If the prom queen ask you to the dance... you GO!

Kanga
08-31-2009, 10:22 PM
If the prom queen ask you to the dance... you GO!
Ha ha, yes I would :)

Cheers

verror
09-01-2009, 01:10 AM
:thumbsup: lol

mastone
09-01-2009, 01:20 AM
"Anyone know why Marvel sold? I can imagine comics might be in trouble as a printed medium but I thought with the swath of films they would be ok."

- I don't know for sure but most of the times this kinda deals come forth on greed either from shareholders or other type of people who have a financial interest in this case Marvel.
If I read it correctly they did a bid for well over 4 biljon dollar in cash and shares, that would even tickle the most rigteous of men :).
So it doesn't necesarilly mean that Marvel is doing bad it could well be the offer was to good.
I personally don't like take overs like this because I like power to be divided so everyone stays on their toes and no one has a monopoly or such a big influence on the rest that they seem to have a monopoly.

Why do American companies want to take over the world why can't they be happy with what they have? first microsoft, autodesk and now even disney ARRRRRGGG LOL

VrodRick
09-01-2009, 02:14 AM
It's all about money and more power in the market...with the deal they'll both make more and wield the hammer (Thors' that is!)

Ilive
09-01-2009, 03:04 AM
I hear people talking about disneyfying Marvel and being less violent.

Does violence necessarily make a movie good? Wolverine Origins was violent and it sucked out of all the Xmen movies. So that is not a problem!

Can you imagine though some Pixar written and produced Marvel movies. I mean don't you think Pixar could do a better job with the Fantastic 4? Imagine Pixar working on the Avengers!

Just think of hte possibilities. Disney used to own Miramax and it was cool, right?

Oh and think of it like this......

Steve Jobs is going to own the world! Pixar, Disney, Marvel and Apple! Wow!

hayashiox
09-01-2009, 03:15 AM
I'm not surprise at all.

hayashiox
09-01-2009, 03:21 AM
Fighting game Donald Duck vs Batman.

SilverCity
09-01-2009, 04:31 AM
http://www.cnbc.com/id/32631895
Get ready to see "The Hulk" at Disney theme parks. Just like Disney has proven very good at building high-profile brands around its characters. I'm not talking about Spidey and the famous superheroes, but "Iron-Man," which turned a lesser-known character into a huge hit Paramount distributed last year. Now, with a sequel in the works, Iron Man is a full-fledged franchise, merchandise and all. Marvel's superheroes will attract a larger young, male audience; the Disney XD channel that targets that audience already airs 20 hours a week of Marvel TV productions. And Marvel's movie studio has a reputation for real discipline, keeping costs down and refusing to give stars an inappropriate cut, which is always enviable in Hollywood.

Stankluv
09-01-2009, 04:38 AM
I heard one businessy/non-biz commentary that said it was a "why not" for Disney and a really sweet deal for Marvel.

I gotta laugh at the 5000 character count though. We'll see if Deadpool has wheels, otherwise Venom is the newest marvel comic-movie char I can think of coming in around 21-2 years old in print I think. Most of the DNA for the movies is around 20-25 years old at least as well. Most of that 5k has about as much depth as...

I do think that timelines like that is 100% why Disney did it. They are counting on the 3rd wave of Spidey movies (Toby Maguire is the second wave).

End of an era...any Stan Lee sound bites floating around yet?

Pinoy McGee
09-01-2009, 04:45 AM

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2481/walthulk.gif

kelgy
09-01-2009, 04:53 AM
End of an era...any Stan Lee sound bites floating around yet?

"To me, becoming 'Disneyfied' is not a bad thing. I mean look at (Disney) movies like 'Pirates of the Caribbean,'" Lee, who parted ways with Marvel years ago, but remains its Chairman Emeritus, said in a telephone interview with Reuters.

"Disney knows how to do movies. They know how to do colorful characters and I think the fans, if they think about it, they're going to love it."

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE57U6A220090831

Garibaldi
09-01-2009, 05:13 AM
Why do American companies want to take over the world why can't they be happy with what they have? first microsoft, autodesk and now even disney ARRRRRGGG LOL

Isn't Autodesk a Canadian company?

ShinChanPu
09-01-2009, 07:26 AM
Isn't Autodesk a Canadian company?

Isn't Canada an american country? :curious:

SmallPoly
09-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Isn't Canada an american country? :curious:

Oh snap! You're right.

CHRiTTeR
09-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Fighting game Donald Duck vs Batman.

If they manage to balance it out properly that could actually turn out verry cool

angel
09-01-2009, 08:22 PM
oh great, here comes the damn "greed" talk, it was just a matter of time. Let me fill you in a little secret... ITS A BUSINESS! and businesses exist to make money, period, doesn't matter where in the hell they are geographically located. People fail to see the big picture of how many individuals benefit from a venture such as this one in the form of employment, benefits and 401K investments accounts. Its like the whole "why does a movie cost sooo much" argument crap, ever notice the names when the credits roll? I guess American companies are the only ones in business to make money, please grow up. This MERGER (not takeover, there is a difference) will most likely bring more work for us, I say great, bring it on!

JIblet
09-01-2009, 09:02 PM
My problem is not so much the “Disney-fing” of the x-man (marvel has been working really hard to do that for years!) but its fact that Disney just bought a company so that they could seem cool the teen age boys (never mind the notions of old men chasing little boys!) doesn’t that just seem so incredibly wrong to anyone?

We know what they’re going to do next month, walk into Marvel (like Hitler into France) and say “as you were.” Then turn around and say “you know what I’d like to see happen with Captain America forget about all this dyeing stuff you need to bring him back and have him rediscover himself as a real American and then have him say “I’m going to Disneyland/California adventure’s!” because you know that would really help the economy out there in California.”

Oh what that’s pretty much what marvel had planned all along. :argh:

Then as they try to show him the door (it’s a “him”, because women don’t work at Disney unless they can sing and dance (on a pole)) he’ll catch a glance at the comic “Marry Jane love’s Spiderman” he’ll yell out “that’s great stuff we should make a movie out of that! Marry Jane could be the next Disney Princess. A strong woman that young girls can look up to but she still knows her place at the arm of superior man, you know just like a superhero!”

... okay sorry maybe that was uncalled for but that's pretty close too whats going to be happen we'll have Marvel artists working on "the witch's of wavery place" comic books. cartoons based around making the female hero's less manly and more in there place as it where. cats and dogs living together! ummmm where was I...

I know Disney owns everything from horror to porn company's and they just let them be (as long as they bring home the bucks) but they've made it very clear that that's not what they want to do with 'Marvel' their like the blond rich kid from a 80's money buying thing to make himself popular, it's not business it's high school in a John Hughes movie!

Its a sad day for fanboy's every were... but at least I still have the clone wars... ow I made myself feel bad...:rolleyes:

isoparmB
09-02-2009, 12:59 AM
......We know what they’re going to do next month, walk into Marvel (like Hitler into France) and say “as you were.” Then turn around and say “you know what I’d like to see happen with Captain America forget about all this dyeing stuff you need to bring him back and have him rediscover himself as a real American and then have him say “I’m going to Disneyland/California adventure’s!” because you know that would really help the economy out there in California.”......

......Then as they try to show him the door (it’s a “him”, because women don’t work at Disney unless they can sing and dance (on a pole)) he’ll catch a glance at the comic “Marry Jane love’s Spiderman” he’ll yell out “that’s great stuff we should make a movie out of that! Marry Jane could be the next Disney Princess. A strong woman that young girls can look up to but she still knows her place at the arm of superior man, you know just like a superhero!”......

I'm sorry, but you're obviously an idiot. I think Disney has proven itself with its past acquisition of Pixar that it isn't a totalitarian mega-conglomerate as some people make them out to be (they've been there in the past, don't think they can afford to do it again in the future. The wolverine on ice thing, though, that could be a possibility.).

And that comment about women not working at Disney, you need to realize that you can learn so much more in life than what they just tell you at the back of those breakfast cereal cartons.

This could be a good thing, or it could suck. I'm more of the opinion it could be a good thing, but eh, what do I know? At the very least it opens a possibility of Pixar talent working on Marvel material. Could be fun!

monkeysweat
09-02-2009, 05:45 AM
wow, this is big news, but what else should we expect from such large corporation? Disney has been unable to compete on a creative level with companies like Pixar for the toon market, so they buy em up. No bid deal...they are only after the money. Disney brings alot of recources(CASH) to the table. I personally dont think Marvel was hurting for money, and it seems a shame to sell out, but hey it is business. I think it was a smart buy for Disney, but I wish someone would turn them down and make a stand for creativity, and competition.

beaker
09-02-2009, 06:30 AM
And that comment about women not working at Disney, you need to realize that you can learn so much more in life than what they just tell you at the back of those breakfast cereal cartons. He seems to have Disney now confused with Disney 20+ years ago. They did have issues with Women in the animation department but that was 15-20 years ago. Before the 90's, most women we're only allowed to work in the paint department. They didn't think they could animate.

JIblet
09-02-2009, 06:39 AM
I'm sorry, but you're obviously an idiot. I think Disney has proven itself with its past acquisition of Pixar that it isn't a totalitarian mega-conglomerate as some people make them out to be (they've been there in the past, don't think they can afford to do it again in the future. The wolverine on ice thing, though, that could be a possibility.).

And that comment about women not working at Disney, you need to realize that you can learn so much more in life than what they just tell you at the back of those breakfast cereal cartons.

This could be a good thing, or it could suck. I'm more of the opinion it could be a good thing, but eh, what do I know? At the very least it opens a possibility of Pixar talent working on Marvel material. Could be fun!

wow an idiot I guess I can own that, I'm sorry you didn't find my post as funny as I thought it was but I guess that's the sign of an idiot. Don't be sorry, there's nothing to be sorry about... what of that make's any sense... are you sorry that you're about to call me an idiot or are you sorry that you some how made me an idiot? (oh damn there I go trying to be funny again)

I'm confused I didn't know you could just buy other company's and then stop being a totalitarian mega-conglomerate for doing so. How does that work? (oh and I didn't say anything like that.)

as far as my comment about women not working at Disney. It was a joke to fit the subtext of my 'funny' story. It's just that when even a young lady starts working for Disney it seams inevitable that we're going to see them 'singing' from a stripper pole (aka Miley, Britney, Fergie, Lindsay... I could go on) they seem to be showing such a great example for our young girls I can't what to see what they do for our already socially malformed young boys.
and beaker is right, thats part of it too.

But hay what do I know!

oh and isoparmB what the hell kind of breakfast cereal are you reading with that kind of cartoon on the Box?... Just kidding, man.

kelgy
09-02-2009, 06:46 PM
IMDB
Although a few financial analysts are criticizing the $4-billion price Disney was willing to pay for Marvel Entertainment -- a 29-percent premium to Friday's closing price -- most are acknowledging that Disney chief Robert Iger made a slick move in buying the company. They suggest, however, that it is, as the London Times put it, "a dream present for Marvel," and particularly its CEO, Ike Perlmutter, who stands to pocket $1.4 billion for his 37-percent stake in the business. Perlmutter has been instrumental in revitalizing Marvel since he bought it out of bankruptcy in 1998. He'll become the second-largest shareholder in Disney, behind Steve Jobs, who sold Pixar to the company. According to reports, Perlmutter will continue to oversee the operations of Marvel, which will remain an autonomous operation ŕ la Pixar. In an interview with Fortune magazine Iger said that he regarded the acquisition as a "meaningful growth opportunity" as a standalone brand within the company. Iger did indicate that he pondered the amount of violence in Marvel's stories and how it might be reflected on Disney's public image. However, he added, "Not everything we do has to be Disney-branded, although that's the priority. ... This is not going to be about Disney sanitizing Marvel in any way." The Disney-Marvel deal represents a blow to Paramount, which only last year signed a deal to distribute the next five Marvel films. The Disney deal means that after those five films are released, Disney will likely take over distribution of Marvel movies. "That could pose a problem for Paramount, which leans on revenue garnered by distributing films produced by others," the Wall Street Journal observed today (Tuesday). (Sony has three Spider-Man sequels in the works; Universal reportedly has plans to release another Hulk movie, despite disappointing results from last year's sequel; and 20th Century Fox has plans for more Wolverine films.) In a statement, Stan Lee, who co-founded Marvel in 1961 and co-created many of its most noteworthy superheroes, said that he "couldn't be happier with this agreement." Lee, who stands to benefit from the use of his characters by the merged companies, said, "This is a great day for the two companies and for the entertainment community as a whole. ... When you combine the best with the best, everyone wins!"

Wongedan
09-02-2009, 07:57 PM
im ok with marvel

but

i wonder what Walt Disney would say if his creative studio had turned into
a *bank ....
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2481/walthulk.gif

Apoclypse
09-03-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm confused I didn't know you could just buy other company's and then stop being a totalitarian mega-conglomerate for doing so. How does that work? (oh and I didn't say anything like that.)

No, but you can have a new CEO and the companies goals change. When people think evil Disney, Eisner is usually involved. The changing of the guard happened quite a while ago and there has been a lot of good moves on Disney's part because of it. Again the Disney of the past is not the same Disney you are talking about. They are a mega conglomerate, they also happen to be a business, and every business needs to change every once in a while in-order to keep on surviving. That has happened at Disney several times already.

Almost every article I've read so far have stated that Disney will pretty much leave Marvel to their own devices for the moment. They are profitable as they are, there is no reason to rock the boat. The same as with Pixar. Pixar already makes plenty of money on their own they didn't need Disney to come in and muck up the works, which is why Pixar is still its own entity within Disney. I'm not sure if Marvel got the same deal, but I would be surprised if that weren't the case.

Besides, who here wouldn't jump at the chance to buy Marvel if they had the cash? I know I would.

Hordak
09-03-2009, 09:01 PM
one word: Noooooo!

Magnus3D
09-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Tragic news :(

However Daryl Cagle has been posting some fun toons based upon these news.. :D
http://www.cagle.msnbc.com/news/DisneyMarvel/main.asp

http://www.cagle.msnbc.com/news/DisneyMarvel/images/cagle00.gif

/ Magnus

robcat2075
09-08-2009, 12:13 AM
The only bad thing I see here is McDonalds toys

Disney gave up fast food tie-ins a few years ago.

They could go back, but they're taking the high road currently on that.

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2009, 12:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.