PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for SMC 17

SKeller
08-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Hey guys!
It's been a week since last challange, so i think its time to start another preparation thread.
Let's toss some suggestions and see what everyones agrees.
I think the last two concept art based challages were good ones, so we could do another one based on conceptart.org or deviantart.

Wualforvalle
08-31-2009, 04:45 PM
well lets see if you like my idea :P
we should do like Sketch modelling challenges like, all participants make a sketch about what they want to do... or either post an image then we decide which object we will model.
i don't know if i made my self clear ><
but
1. sketch or image
2. decide which one
3. model
4. compare and feedback.

just an idea, it could work for every challenge we make maybe.

SKeller
08-31-2009, 05:20 PM
I think what you suggested is what we did on the last challange. We choose one image from deviantart and everybody modeled the same object.

1. sketch or image
2. decide which one
3. model
4. compare and feedback.

I think this process works fine for the purpose of this challenge, so i think we should stick to it.

http://home.slac.stanford.edu/pressreleases/images/kavli_building_large.jpg

Maybe an archtectural image could be nice to do? Just a thought.

IRAFK
09-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Someone had mentioned we step away from the designs and model a simple object, like an apple, pen, carrot or a cell phone and that we focus the details and on our technique and share our methods. I would like to do this as well.

alkhobarspecial
09-01-2009, 03:03 PM
how about cutlery? its something you can do many versions of, and many different styles from modern to ornate. cutlery for adults, cutlery for kids...

Digitool
09-01-2009, 05:08 PM
i like the idea of an architectural visualisation.

like, maybe a lobby of a state of the art business building or a kitchen or something.

Wualforvalle
09-02-2009, 07:12 AM
yeah sorry, what i meant was mostly focusing in sketching as part as our modelling practices, and if someone doesn't want to sketch... well you can either choose an image.

Wualforvalle
09-02-2009, 07:18 AM
well i like the architectual idea... soo either we can post an image, make our sketch or choose an idea...
yeah yeah
something like rules

1. You can propose an image, idea or a personal sketch for the modelling forum.
2. The most wanted gets modeled by everyone.
3. blah blah blah u get it.

idk i think my point its that we should make this forum more organized like DSG is, make it more popular.

alkhobarspecial
09-02-2009, 02:41 PM
i don't see personally how an architectural visualization image/model is a speed model...I think what makes the daily sketch group successful is two things. one Roberto being awesome and diligent to post something new everyday. an assigned time limit, that allows people to post what they had at the time limit or if they like what they are doing continue with it and post what they had at time limit and how much time they spent on final, still for the most part though you don't see people spending more than a few hours.

now for me working as an arch viz person i don't see being able to model it all.

now if we chose a photo of a well done architectural space and maybe we each modeled pieces. as in the designer furniture. custom lobby desk. anyways...just my thoughts.

nimbiot
09-02-2009, 02:58 PM
i think alot of these ideas are great, but not for a speed modeling challenge. I think things should be kept simple, or else it'll turn more into a hardcore modeling challenge. I just want a challenge where we can actually finish something, doing things in a rush that isn't even near completion is a waste of time I think.

IRAFK
09-02-2009, 05:27 PM
i think alot of these ideas are great, but not for a speed modeling challenge. I think things should be kept simple, or else it'll turn more into a hardcore modeling challenge. I just want a challenge where we can actually finish something, doing things in a rush that isn't even near completion is a waste of time I think.
I agree.

Model an object like a nut, bolt, pen, water bottle, iron, cell phone or a fork. Not a scene where you have to create multiple objects, where you don't have enough time to make anything, your just practicing how to rough out something, but not complete it.

The subject needs to be a simple object and its needs to be specific. We need to model the exact same thing.

Digitool
09-03-2009, 06:11 AM
alright. I agree. I'll be guilty of wanting to have a "wow" factor to the model. But in reality as mentioned before, just keep it simple and make it work.

So why don't we just go back to the first week of modeling class (for anyone who has ever had one) and pull out a model that is totally like the best place to begin. (I'm thinking more of a re-birth of the SMC's.)

The lamp.

I remember like the first thing we did in modeling class at fullsail was admire pixar's ability to make the lamp so lifelike. Now, you take away the animation aspect and leave just the lamp, it's a pretty simple model. I think it'd be a good place to start because thats basically the first place we started in fullsail.

But, if we don't do that, I'm game for whatever.

Now about the sketch thing. I def. don't think it should be made a part of the challenges, mainly because sketching and reference material should be a part of ALL of your modeling. They drilled that into our heads at fullsail. It just isn't going to work right without a reference. And it don't. I cannot imagine modeling without a sketch or group of sketches to keep my mind on the same track. No way you can keep details in your head over the course of a model and pull it off. Its rare. So I just think that its good practice for everyone to do it every time. Even for something like an apple. Download or take some photos, maybe sketch it out so you can get a better feel for it artistically then approach it in 3d, using references on your image planes. Makes things faster and easier.

Anyway, I think this little "rebirth" is pretty refreshing and we really should stick to a simple format.

Picaboo
09-03-2009, 09:15 AM
heys guys

I have been taking a look in this forum for the last few weeks for one day or another and I wish had taken part at smc 16.
The idea and the pictures where really great for a smc and i think you should stick to something like that.
An idea that just came in my mind is take a look at this pic (http://dic.academic.ru/pictures/dewiki/50/2006-07-08_botanischer-garten_grosses-tropenhaus.jpg) and model it destroyed. (just the building i wouldnt care about the plants). In this case everyone would have the same reference but can still think of something on his own.

SKeller
09-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Why don't we make this a daily speed modeling challenge? We can make a thread at the beginning of the week with instructions for all objects to be made during the week (since it will be hard for someone to keep updating the challenge everyday).
This way we can model pens, mouses, forks, knives... all sorts of objects every day, from beginning to completion.

alkhobarspecial
09-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Why don't we make this a daily speed modeling challenge? We can make a thread at the beginning of the week with instructions for all objects to be made during the week (since it will be hard for someone to keep updating the challenge everyday).
This way we can model pens, mouses, forks, knives... all sorts of objects every day, from beginning to completion.

this sounds perfect. does anyone know where the link to the list they did for the hardcore modeling challenge is? where they did 50 models in a month or something like that.

Digitool
09-04-2009, 01:37 AM
sounds like fun

nimbiot
09-04-2009, 02:04 AM
hey, I'm up for the daily challenges. It'll keep us on our toes i guess. It'll be the focus we need to ever make it in this field. And then we can increase the difficulty as we get better.

Wualforvalle
09-04-2009, 06:56 AM
yeah, really im really interested in this forums as you can see by now :P, since i am really planning to study art and learn 3d by myself, i think i can be self taught with dvds, and tutorials, really im checking this forums constantly since my first post in the aircraft challenge, and planning to do so for a long time, why not.

As far as SMC 16, man you can still participate why not? im planning to do my steampunk weapon as soon i got time, why care if its a challenge from the past, its your learning and fun that counts.

Digitool
09-04-2009, 07:09 AM
Lets start this on sunday then. Lets try to keep all challenges under the same rules such as :
All challenges have a 60 minute limit. Post a wire-shot as well as a shaded view. No renders unless it is in link form. Please try to post at least a thumbnail of your wire / shaded shots so that it is easier to view.

nimbiot
09-07-2009, 04:15 AM
ok anyone have any suggestions? seems like we are less motivated now that the challenges are to be more simple?

Wualforvalle
09-07-2009, 06:35 PM
maybe a drum kit?
an axe, sword? a battery? eiffel tower? wedding ring? furniture? a bomb?
a computer mouse? a cup? a fan?
and you should suggest too nimbiot, not only complain

nimbiot
09-07-2009, 08:01 PM
yeah sorry, I had a couple of suggestions in mind, just wasn't sure if everyone was onboard with the whole simple idea.

But I was thinking of, peanut w/shell, single lifesaver candy(letters included), washington apple, a coke can, philsbury dough boy.
-all details done with polys, not maps.

I was browsing forums earlier and discovered this website, http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/forums/
they have a speed modeling thread also, too bad they don't seem to be that active anymore. But maybe we can get ideas from them.

nimbiot
09-07-2009, 08:10 PM
this sounds perfect. does anyone know where the link to the list they did for the hardcore modeling challenge is? where they did 50 models in a month or something like that.

btw, here is a link to that hardcore challenge

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=395381

Wualforvalle
09-08-2009, 04:51 AM
post seem a little bit dead -_- ok...
well choose topics from the hardcore modelling list or any other you like :P
IMO
any from boats and ships, desk or guns

SKeller
09-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Hey, we already have lots of ideas, let's decide and model!

an axe, sword? a battery? eiffel tower? wedding ring? furniture? a bomb?
a computer mouse? a cup? a fan?

peanut w/shell, single lifesaver candy(letters included), washington apple, a coke can, philsbury dough boy.

Why don't we choose a couple objects (like 4-7) and model all of then during the week, so each person can model all objects when he finds free time, or do one object a day.

Let's just choose some objects and model!
From the suggestions already made i liked fan, computer mouse, coke can. I would add desk, pen, telephone booth, rabbit.

BTW, that hardcore modelling thread is great! We can just choose from that list.

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2009, 01:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.