PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get back in the game

TiKiMoN
08-31-2009, 12:04 AM
Hi CGForum-goers,

After having made it through school into the film vfx industry as a matchmover for a few years, I took what turned out to be a wrong turn at one of my life's proverbial forks. Now, three years later and programming software for a telecommunications company, I feel like I started with the best-case scenario and am headed for the bottom of the career ladder. I want to find my way back to film work, but I've been cg-idle for 3 years. I was wondering if there were any online courses anyone would recommend, or technique textbooks that cover the whole range of the vfx pipeline? I could probably use that kind of general re-acquaintance, but my ultimate goal would be character animator. Of course, right now I'd be happy just being back in matchmoving. ;)

I'm going to make the time to get my skills back into working order, but I feel like I need some structure and a solid starting point. I feel desperate for any advice or well-wishing.. I just regret losing the time I could've used to grow in the industry. Many thanks for your suggestions!

- Dave

lilnyc
08-31-2009, 02:00 AM
TiKiMoN - I understand. I too took a turn away from what I really love (3D) to do practical work, and really regret it.

I am using Digital Tutors (http://www.digitaltutors.com/09/index.php) to re-familiarize myself with 3D. They're learning model is online only now, and there are buffering issues, so I'd suggest a month trial to see if it works for you.

Escape Studios (http://www.escapestudios.com/en_GB/home.html) seems very thorough. I have only done the free trial, as the full course os too expensive for me, but it's an option.

Lynda.com (http://www.lynda.com/) provides a good foundation for some 3D apps (Maya, 3DS Max, Cinema 4D). They do not specialize in it like the aforementioned, but I feel that they really cover it so that you learn. Some lessons (esp. DT) teach you to do cool things, but you may end up learning their style rather than developing your own. Just my observation.

Best wishes, and it's never too late!

TiKiMoN
09-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Thank you, lilnyc! I'll definitely check those all out and let you know how they move me. ;)

I used Maya in school and partially in studios I worked for, so that's a package I could probably learn fastest with. I'm hoping to find some sort of textbook or workbook with assignments that I can use to reach certain goals... I'll post anything good I find. But those usually don't have techniques like using edge loops to create a character's face, or detailed methods on painting IK weights for character rigging. I think those are important to know as someone aspiring to character animation, at least the important technical aspects of animating, anyway.

Thanks again for the replies! All are welcome!

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2009, 12:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.