PDA

View Full Version : Motion Graphics Education

SKeller
08-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi everyone!
I'll finish my advertising degree at the end of this year. I want to create motion graphics but I don't think this degree will be enough to land a job in this field, so i am considering continuing my education.
I know that there are some very good 4 year courses (SCAD, CalArts and so on). But i really don't want to spend 4 more years studying. I need something to improve my skills and, specialy, develop a more personal style.
So i thought that the Digital Design at VFS (or even their foundations course) or a bunch of classes of Continuing Education at some good university (my primary option right now is School of Visual Arts) would be the right choice.

Advertising courses down here in Brazil is kind of different from the ones in US that I looked. We learn how various parts of the ad agency works, we don't focus on art direction and the more artistic side of advertising.

Of course there is the money issue, but this is another story... Right now i need to know what should i do next, because i'm kind of lost.

If anyone wants to take a look, this is a link for my portfolio,
http://www.behance.net/skeller

Thanks for taking your time and reading all of this!

hayashiox
08-31-2009, 05:28 AM
Hi everyone!
I'll finish my advertising degree at the end of this year. I want to create motion graphics but I don't think this degree will be enough to land a job in this field, so i am considering continuing my education.
I know that there are some very good 4 year courses (SCAD, CalArts and so on). But i really don't want to spend 4 more years studying. I need something to improve my skills and, specialy, develop a more personal style.
So i thought that the Digital Design at VFS (or even their foundations course) or a bunch of classes of Continuing Education at some good university (my primary option right now is School of Visual Arts) would be the right choice.

Advertising courses down here in Brazil is kind of different from the ones in US that I looked. We learn how various parts of the ad agency works, we don't focus on art direction and the more artistic side of advertising.

Of course there is the money issue, but this is another story... Right now i need to know what should i do next, because i'm kind of lost.

If anyone wants to take a look, this is a link for my portfolio,
http://www.behance.net/skeller

Thanks for taking your time and reading all of this!

Its rare see people with advertising degrees.

Go to a private company and learn start there.
You will actually learn MORE than going to a 4 year college.

SKeller
08-31-2009, 02:17 PM
hayashiox, thanks for your reply!
Going to work at a company is what i want. I just don't know if my degree will be enough to get a job. Well... guess all i have to do is knock at a company door and see what happens.

hayashiox
09-01-2009, 12:55 AM
hayashiox, thanks for your reply!
Going to work at a company is what i want. I just don't know if my degree will be enough to get a job. Well... guess all i have to do is knock at a company door and see what happens.

In the design industry, who cares if you have a degree. Even my graphic design teacher dropped off from Art Center and got a job..

SKeller
09-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks for your reply, hayashiox! Both of you encouraged me to look for a job and, as soon as i finish some things that i have pending, i'll start sending reels to companies.

CGTalk Moderation
09-04-2009, 02:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.