PDA

View Full Version : Learning 3d...yet another thread

zedd2006
08-30-2009, 12:18 PM
I have always enjoyed CG stuff. I used to tinker with poser and bryce back in the day of the early versions and also tinkered with an old copy of, well by todays standards its more like ancient, 3Ds max and i have enjoyed it. My most recent dealings was with the last maya ple edition i think 9?

I have a low attention span while learning unless its face to face or through video. Dont expect me to sit down for long periods of time to read a 850p book even if it is something i am interested in. lol

Anyway, with this being said, I am looking for video tutorials that will explain what i am doing. Some things i just dont understand why i am doing it or dont understand it all. e.g. the different types of modeling like nurbs, polys and whatever else there is. The problems i have run into with video tutorials, even though they are great as far as content goes, is that it just says "Do this, this, this and this and you're done, now render it" Well, ok, but i dont understand what i just did or why i did it this way, and you have to buy/download another video that tells you how to do proper rendering. Which is really annoying btw.

I'v searched for this answer and i still have not found it.

If someone could point me in the right direction then that would be great.

lilnyc
08-31-2009, 03:09 AM
zedd2006,

I completely understand your position. I was following a Digital Tutors course titled, "Introduction to Maya 2009." Although it was a video course, the instructor taught too fast, often clicking without explaining and by the end, I modeled something cool, but didn't retain much of what I did.

By contrast, another Digital Tutors course titled "Product Visualization in Maya 2009" is very thorough. The instructor tells you WHY it's best to model a certain way, what the results can be if done incorrectly, etc. You really learn from that one.

Lynda.com is my favorite for learning because while their 3D lessons are rather few and elementary, their instructors are like those in a classroom. They really teach.

zedd2006
08-31-2009, 06:12 AM
I have to agree that lynda.com is awesome.

A friend of mine let me borrow his copy of Illustrator CS3 the essentials, the guys name that did the video was Deke, i think, and his teaching keeps you interested and keeps things fresh. Even though i only went through about half of it (only what i needed) it helped me out so much at my job. I understood illustrator a lot better from those videos. Unfortunatly, the videos i saw on the website for 3ds max are mostly old, and the newer ones, by the titles i read, don't seem like they will be as thorough as the illustrator videos. If Deke was to make a 3ds max dvd i would buy it in a heart beat.

The one 3ds max dvd that caught my eye was the essential training. But, paying $100 for a dvd without knowing if i will like his teaching style is more money than i am willing to throw away if it isn't what i need.

Part of what i was describing in my previous post was a couple of Digital Tutors videos my friend also let me borrow. He said they were great dvd's but i disagree, i think they are horrible teachers, however, the content was great. My friend and i argued about this for a while because he attends Art Institute of Atlanta so he already understands what they are talking about.

If you, or someone else, could confirm that the lynda.com 3ds max essentials dvd will teach me and not just tell me what to do then i will get it. Otherwise, my search will continue for the material i seek.

Thanks for your post.

CGTalk Moderation
08-31-2009, 06:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.