PDA

View Full Version : What to do before college?

KyleAdams
08-30-2009, 12:56 AM
I am currently a Junior in high school, and I am interested in doing CG as a profession, but I am puzzled about what I should take in high school that will help with CG in college and beyond. I have never taken any art classes at all, except in elementary school. Will that be a problem? What are courses that are important and helpful to have before going to college? And when I get to college, what is a CG major called?

Thanks

whalerider
08-30-2009, 03:26 AM
First, you need to figure out what career path you want to follow. There are a lot of possibilities - modeling, animation, texturing, rigging, lighting & rendering, effects, compositing, etc. There is a book that discusses the different paths (among other things) - "Getting a Job in Computer Graphics, Real Advice from Reel People."

As far as courses - art courses can only help.

KyleAdams
08-31-2009, 02:47 AM
I will try to see if I can find the book, but as far as the art courses go, I am not sure I will be able to take any of them. My school has a great art department, but to my dismay, I have not had time to take any of the courses. Will this be a big problem?

dren
09-06-2009, 01:51 AM
I don't think it will be. I virtually didn't really take anything in high school that was artistic except a photography class and a general art class where we had to make stupid crafts like clay sculptures...oh how I hated that class. Anyways, it really depends on what path you want to take. If you want to be a modeler then drawing and a good sense of anatomy is a good idea. If you want to be a texture artist you should probably take some painting classes.... it all really depends. What path do you want to venture down?

NMCDerek
09-06-2009, 09:19 AM
First, you need to figure out what career path you want to follow. There are a lot of possibilities - modeling, animation, texturing, rigging, lighting & rendering, effects, compositing, etc. There is a book that discusses the different paths (among other things) - "Getting a Job in Computer Graphics, Real Advice from Reel People."

As far as courses - art courses can only help.I couldn't have said it better my self mate, For me I'm going into animation, texturing, Vis-comm, Right now I would suggest you to look at colleges although your in hugh school yet, and get your forms set up right now.

Also, When you get to college take all your Core-requites, and pre requites done, Also don't skim on your English, and math courses in high school. ( Trust me, I've been there)

I did and now I can't form any good posts so no one hardly takes me serious unless I stress my opnion. Now I have to take an english class, and a math class to progress further into my ba degree.

JYoung
09-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Not sure why you can't take any art classes in school, but one thing to consider is doing summer classes at a local college. Some sort of art/drawing fundamentals class would do you good in most disciplines.

NMCDerek
09-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Not sure why you can't take any art classes in school, but one thing to consider is doing summer classes at a local college. Some sort of art/drawing fundamentals class would do you good in most disciplines.I agree, On a sidenote, Since I've started taking all my core art classes, my guitar playing has gotten better, and I see things differently now!

agreenster
09-08-2009, 02:49 PM
I am currently a Junior in high school, and I am interested in doing CG as a profession, but I am puzzled about what I should take in high school that will help with CG in college and beyond. I have never taken any art classes at all, except in elementary school. Will that be a problem? What are courses that are important and helpful to have before going to college? And when I get to college, what is a CG major called?

Thanks

Draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw!!!

divengrabber
09-23-2009, 03:47 PM
you can join crash course.

KyleAdams
10-26-2009, 11:37 PM
I am not sure what field of cg I want to go into right now, but I will work on deciding that. As for why I can't take art courses, I am doing the IB Diploma, and it requires 6 hours of my day to be the core courses, plus a language, plus an elective. I only have one open hour, and I reserve that for choir. That is why I can't take art classes. I am glad to hear that it isn't necessary to have art classes prior to college. I am not shocked that it would be helpful, but I am nevertheless glad it isn't necessary.

MrPositive
10-28-2009, 01:51 AM
Honestly, you don't even need classes to learn to draw. There are a zillion online sites for drawing (perspective, proportion, color theory, etc.) and frankly all you might need to get started is a sketchbook. Just take that thing everywhere you go and draw. Try to draw people, environments, etc each day. Start using colored pencils as well. Both my art professor friends say that their sketchbooks haven't left their sides in 10 years. 10 years!!!

As well, Rebecca and Stahlberg run a fantastic forum here on cgtalk for improving your figurative drawing skills...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=177

iadagraca
11-06-2009, 05:48 PM
heh, i'm kinda making what most people here consider a bad habit of doing 'my work' before 'the teachers work'...

yet the internet claims otherwise...

my art is progressing but my acedemics are exeedingly standard, its difficult trying to balance the two :\

especially if your enthusiastic about your work an less about school...

seeing as your going with the IB diploma program i assume your pretty punctual, you might be able to manage it someware...

Ayro
11-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Like others said, take summer classes in drawing, and maybe in whatever field you want to do. And get familiar with multiple programs.

Paul McLaughlin
11-06-2009, 09:10 PM
I would take any art class your high school offers and maybe some pre-college classes at a local college/community college. Also spend a lot of time online learning stuff. You get what you put in.

bstout
11-16-2009, 02:32 AM
i always have a number of students who can draw but totally suck at computer art. learn to be friendly with the math/science as well as the art/drawing. to be a good Cg artist you must be a rennaisance artist. never forget that Michelangelo and Da Vinci were deeply involved with science. To make your own paint you were a chemist. To learn anatomy they bought cadavers and disected them (biology), Da Vinci was a brilliant mathmetician and engineer. Be a rennaisance artist.

KyleAdams
12-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Thank you for all the advice.

The idea of being a "Renaissance Artist" is a great piece of advice. That is a great thing for me, as I have always been more of a math/science person than anything else. I even am contemplating a double-major in college. Science and either art or music.

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2009, 04:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.