PDA

View Full Version : Timing and weight test

FalseCathedral
08-29-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm trying to improve my character animation skills. This is the first test I've done in regards to timing and weight. I'd really appreciate some c&c, as it's hard to watch over and over again with no fresh input. I keep making changes, but in the end, I'm not sure if it's enough. The main thing I want to convey is the weight of the box and the balance of the character.

Thanks guys!

www.abramhodgens.com/pub/test_15.mov - direct link - 2.3mb

robcat2075
08-29-2009, 09:06 PM
finally, someone posts a QT file to scrub. Although for a test like this I'd recommend a smaller size. I had to re render it to be able to play it.

Anyway, that's not bad looking!

-on landing it looks like he's starting to squash before he contacts the ground

- when he's getting back up after landing I'd push his hips farther back so he can balance more weight over his feet to get himself up.

-on the walk there doesn't seem to be a compression pose. This is when the body has continued down for a few frames after the leading foot hits the ground. Then it recovers and starts going back up

-I'd leave the camera shakes out until you got all the animation finaled.

-The camera shakes even when just his knuckles have touched the box? But not when he slugs it.

- Although he leans into the box to start pushing it, he's standing vertical when it actually moves it. He can't be applying all his weight from a vertical stand.

- He's lifting and resetting his feet too slowly during that push.

-When he's teetering at the end his torso swings above his hips like they are a fixed gimbal, but really he should be trying (but failing) to counter balance with hip movement all this time.

Good lookling character! Yours?

FalseCathedral
08-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Hey robcat2075, thanks for the comments! I've tried to implement your changes.

www.abramhodgens.com/pub/test23.mov 1mb, 640x360

btw, i really enjoyed checking out your blog and animations. It's great to see someone aspiring to be a traditional animator.

Bot13
08-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Wow, I've never seen so much progress in just one update :)
I wasn't impressed at all by the first version. You made great changes!

FalseCathedral
08-31-2009, 05:52 AM
Wow, really? thanks! I was honestly afraid you wouldn't be able to tell much difference...

bad-j
08-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Hi there,

Nice improvement compared to the first post. I would like to share some tips. Please study every animation with arcs.

Hand:
1. The hand goes through the box at certain frames. Maybe you can make the hand controller a child of the box to avoid this. (IK application)

2. After the box falls the hand will follow through the pushing motion before recoiling to maintain balance. (if you have an ik/fk switch, you could work it out with proper arcs)

The fall:
1. To make a believable fall, the spine has to swashbuckle for a few frame, i.e., you will have to flip the action arc of the spine.

2. The hip will have to follow through as it would not be able to stop so fast at the end.

Pushing the box:
1. To push a box of that weight you will have to recoil back and then move forwards. This is called Anticipation.

2. Stretch out the leg for each move... that will give a proper force of action curve across your pose.

I have drawn a few curves across screenshots for reference... haven't really mastered the art of drawing with a mouse :)

God bless you... Keep moving forward

FalseCathedral
08-31-2009, 01:54 PM
thanks for the excellent tips and taking the time to even illustrate the points!

one major frustration i had was actually with the stupid rig - you can't really get a good reversed arc in the back! he just goes straight and bends at the waist. booo. :( i wish i had just used a biped. i should have kept it simple...

I can't believe i left out such an important anticipation! no wonder it looked so wrong! :( animating can sure be humbling....

CGTalk Moderation
08-31-2009, 01:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.