PDA

View Full Version : normal mapping issues. (When isn't there?)

RySan
08-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Hello all, so this is my process. I make a low poly model of a chair in maya, delete faces you can't see (for polycount reasons), make the uv's, duplicate the model, cut up the polys on the duplicated model for equal tesselation, fix the deleted faces, seperate parts of it into uv groups, and export it as an .obj. I import it into Zbrush, make the uv groups into subtools, sculpt on them, and then I use zmapper. I use the "maya tangent space best quality" settings, and the normal map likes like crap. It makes the edges on the seat look weird, and it also adds a nice unwanted texture, as you can see in the closeup pic. It also tends to stretch things out a bit.

I've heard that if your uvs are messed up, it can cause this. As I said earlier, I deleted faces on the low poly model that you can't see, and then fixed them on the equally tesselated model that i imported into zbrush. The uvs for these faces are unsewn and may be overlapping, but I don't see how this would affect other parts of the model, or the texture in general, as I didn't even use zmapper on those specific uvs, and they were in their own subtool group.

If anyone could help solve this problem of mine, I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.

PIC1: the low poly model in maya

PIC2: the high poly model in zbrush.

PIC3: a closeup of the resulting normal map on the low poly model.

PIC4: The actual normal map.

RySan
08-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Here's the normal map. Guess I can only upload 3 pics at once.

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2009, 05:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.