PDA

View Full Version : Image Based Modeling.....Lighting..and Rendering

windchimes
08-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Can anyone help me out in defining the differences between Image Based Modeling (IBM) Image Based Lighting(IBL) and Image Based Rendering and the several techniques used to apply it?

mister3d
08-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Of course!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image-based_modeling_and_rendering
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_based_lighting

windchimes
08-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks mister 3d! I've gone through them. But IBMR is a part of IBMR..rt? So say, if we are using a 3d package say 3ds max what are the ways we apply Image based modeling? . Usage of HDRI images and all are part of lighting and rendering..rt?

This may look vague or confused since I amn't using a 3d package for a long time but want these points desperately. If you can explain it over here in simple language that would be really helpful

mister3d
08-29-2009, 12:54 PM
But IBMR is a part of IBMR..rt?
Definitely not, as you cannot make a definition by something that is to be defined. I'm not sure what you mean by "rt". Unfortunately shortening and changing grammar makes it more complex to understand.
To apply an image-based modeling you could load several images of different sides of an object, and project them on planes, so they will serve as modeling guides.
HDRI are used for lighting, often smaller versions of them to speed-up calculations, and for reflection environment too. Hope this helps.

windchimes
08-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks.

I went through some more documents. My earlier doubt was whether Image based Lighting (IBL)is a part of Image Based Modeling and Rendering (IBMR) ( since Lighting also is a part of rendering. (AND was asking whether IBL is a part of IBMR. By the way, 'rt' meant 'right' :) )

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2009, 01:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.