PDA

View Full Version : MoCap and key frame rig

ilmostrog
08-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Hello character rigging experts. I am building a few rigs for a client and they plan to animate the character with both mocap and keyframes. Body is through mocap and arms and hands and feet through key frames. I am not sure why it was done this way but that is what they are doing.

they are using maya and motion builder. My thoughts are a bind rig with two input rigs, one that is driven by fk/IK and controllers and the other is just a plain rig that is named in accordance with how you name a rig for motion builder with a control to move between the two. My question is will that work in Motion builder? does this approach even make sense. Can I just map the mocap data to the skeleton that is also driven by an input rig that is IKFK? another approach entirely? I would love some thoughts. Thanks.

wamo
08-29-2009, 01:31 AM
Hello character rigging experts. I am building a few rigs for a client and they plan to animate the character with both mocap and keyframes. Body is through mocap and arms and hands and feet through key frames. I am not sure why it was done this way but that is what they are doing.

they are using maya and motion builder. My thoughts are a bind rig with two input rigs, one that is driven by fk/IK and controllers and the other is just a plain rig that is named in accordance with how you name a rig for motion builder with a control to move between the two. My question is will that work in Motion builder? does this approach even make sense. Can I just map the mocap data to the skeleton that is also driven by an input rig that is IKFK? another approach entirely? I would love some thoughts. Thanks.

I already have done similar thing for a Client of mine, which theier request was like what you saying (Itegeration of MoCap Rig and Custom Rig) .. Yes you can do so, Just use Mocap Bone Skeleton as the Mocap Joints Layered, I did this project in 3Ds Max + Motion Builder so we had no problem at all ... don't forget about Naming Convensions which is very importnat when loading MoCap date.. I attached a Picture of what i did for the Client, may be Usefull for you.

ilmostrog
08-29-2009, 01:39 AM
hey thanks for the reply. what do yo mean about using mocap joints for bones layered? that doesn't necessarily translate to maya speak for me. can you give a bit more detail?
g.

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2009, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.