PDA

View Full Version : ZBrush 3.5, eminent release

WyattHarris
08-28-2009, 09:55 PM
https://support.pixologic.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=16

It's happening, clear your weekend. :D

BigPixolin
08-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Awesome, However I am not to sure I would clear my weekend and wait until possibly thursday for a email.

gruhn
08-28-2009, 11:28 PM
And here's me, broke.

I know.... I'm holding out to put pressure on them to get GoZ working with Max. Yeah, that's my reason. ;-).

bisenberger
08-29-2009, 02:01 AM
HOT DOG:bowdown:

Thanks WyattHarris I needed to let them know my email address had changed since I purchased and last upgraded ZB:thumbsup:

Womball
08-29-2009, 02:03 AM
I just signed up for the support account. I dunno if its going to be released this weekend though. The website was down for several hours today, if that means anything.

AdanVC
08-29-2009, 02:30 AM
It's happening!!, this weekend is gonna be so loooong.... seriously ive never be so excited about the new release of one software!, but in this case! im desperate right now !! haha i want 3.5 now!

MikeNash
08-29-2009, 03:28 AM
Its shame they havent opened up the zbrush 3.5 tester forum to see all cool work done.
Thought they open it up by now to get more hype for people to start buying zbrush 3.1 to get the free upgrade.

SheepFactory
08-29-2009, 03:36 AM
Does anyone know if the price is staying the same?

CHRiTTeR
08-29-2009, 04:33 AM
damn damn damn:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=599966#post599966

:bowdown:

BigPixolin
08-29-2009, 04:42 AM
I almost puked when I seen those hard surface tools! :bowdown: :arteest: :applause:

SheepFactory
08-29-2009, 04:48 AM
damn damn damn:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=599966#post599966

:bowdown:

Holy crap the noise stuff is amazing! :eek:

rock
08-29-2009, 06:20 AM
Somehow I don't get the same excitement with the releases of Mudbox 2010, XSI 2010, Maya 2010, and MotionBuilder 2010 combined as this one ZBrush release.

gjpetch
08-29-2009, 06:26 AM
My brain just exploded.

gaiXyn
08-29-2009, 06:30 AM
Somehow I don't get the same excitement with the releases of Mudbox 2010, XSI 2010, Maya 2010, and MotionBuilder 2010 combined as this one ZBrush release.

veryTrue....after seeing demo ( thx CHRiTTeR ) I'm beginning to wonder if I should stop hoping for mudBox to be more like ZB and just hope pixologic creates a mudBox userBase interface/navigation instead....that noise feature!!???....just WOW!!!

ltr~

garycrump
08-29-2009, 06:36 AM
If I was not so old I would have got a hard on!!

Rectro
08-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Looks fun with Zspheres 2, would like to know what the difference if between the flattern and the hard surface tool. The noise is welcome as I currently use it when in a rush by using deformation noise, just looks like it gives much more control.

My main focus for 3.5 was GoZ, shame its not going to be there untill next month, but it least Its going to work well.

Now this may sound odd, but im realy looking forward to fixes more than anything. Here is a few I know they have, but some I hope are also sorted, or implimented without need for plugins.

1: Getting closer to large models in high res canvas sizes.
2: better retopology tools, no odd symmetry issues, and projection problems.
3: Project detail on models with open holes like mouth and eyes without these holes caving in.
4: Smooth Uvs on texture map export.
5: Fill canvas with a texture for Zproject painting, without the mesh having to be brought forward every few mins due to getting lost in the background plain.
6: Resizing the Canvas without having to clear it and re-draw the model.
7: Beable to remove unwanted tools. You can subtools, but not the main tool.
8: Pose with conforming subtools more easyer, i.e just pose and all other subtools conform.
9: more accurate move/tweak tool.
10: edge and face tweaking, not just verts.

INFINITE
08-29-2009, 09:15 AM
The new tools just look so amazing. What an update!

cresshead
08-29-2009, 09:15 AM

yeah pretty darn amazing for a free 0.4 update...

TheRazorsEdge
08-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Wow! Amazing stuff!

I cant wait to get my hands on this update, especially since I am pretty much done with future MB releases since the 2009 and 2010 versions are hugely dissappointing.

Any news about correct perspective in ZB?

Cheers!

Grgeon
08-29-2009, 10:04 AM

I'm wondering the same thing.

-GC

hobo
08-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Upgrade's free. :)

undoz
08-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Wow! Amazing stuff!

I cant wait to get my hands on this update, especially since I am pretty much done with future MB releases since the 2009 and 2010 versions are hugely dissappointing.

Cheers!

Yes, they changed how perspective works . You can also notice the grid function in the movies.

Amazing stuff from Pixologic. This is how software should be developed.

3dtutorial
08-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Whoa... this new release looks freaking awesome! This is exciting news to be sure.

Regards,

J

pluMmet
08-29-2009, 01:19 PM
I had activated my zBrush online when installing the program. That's all I ever thought to do.

That's not enough to get the update email...

I just had to register with Pixologic support using my receipt reference number from when I bought zBrush and my serial.

Make sure you all have done the same.

gaiXyn
08-29-2009, 01:41 PM
If I was not so old I would have got a hard on!!
LOL...good one...but I don't believe you....this demo/upDate beats any pill currently on the market....perhaps you should watch it again!?....j/k

@ TheRazorsEdge >> X2 ....disappointing inDeed....

ltr~

squidinc
08-29-2009, 03:40 PM
cant believe I'm getting all this for free! :D
haven't paid anything for zbrush since version 2!

the new zspheres are just amazing, it's going to be difficult to know when to stop with all the details!

Stellios
08-29-2009, 04:37 PM
mudbox would be better if it was zbrush.

BigPixolin
08-29-2009, 04:52 PM

They used the term "Imporoved perspective" same as they did when they released 3 and 3.2 which still is not correct perspective and sadly I don't think it will ever be since zbrush is 2.5d..:sad:

Ollarin
08-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Oh my god!

That was amazing! Can't believe that's a free update for you guys too! O_O

I reckon we'll see lots of art with cyborgs/robots with wires all around them or some creature with veins hanging out, etc. In the beginning anyway, till the fad runs out. :p

Amazing though, the possibilities seem endless with it, can't wait to see what awesome stuff people create from it.

richcz3
08-29-2009, 05:23 PM
cant believe I'm getting all this for free! :D
haven't paid anything for zbrush since version 2!...
At the end of the day, that's all that matters. Not paying a dime since 2 and consider how many quality tools we've been given. I have paid 100's of dollars for updates in other software that don't even come close to the awe inspiring tools in ZB. I do use ZSpheres so this update coupled with GoZ is mind blowing. :cool:

pluMmet
08-29-2009, 06:00 PM
mudbox would be better if it was zbrush.

The only thing Mudbox has over zBrush is you can paint on different channels.

It looks now like zBrush has blow Mudbox out of the water but not being able to paint on different channels is quite a deficit.

I just hope the v4 has this feature.

BigPixolin
08-29-2009, 06:21 PM
When they are sculpting that robot head they give the brush a radius the same as his ear that is very cool.

TheAlienGus
08-29-2009, 10:54 PM
As i understand zbrush 3.5 is gonna be able to go higher with the poly
count now, or is that held off till v4? This and goz i can not wait for.

(really wish they'd go 64 bit. I'd love to
get out of z what i get out of mudbox.)

depleteD
08-29-2009, 11:33 PM
holy smokes, that is just way to crazy

JookBoxer
08-30-2009, 02:43 AM

Hopefully the price will go up to punish those who sold their license and now want back in.

(I'm just kidding.. Maybe)

Grgeon
08-30-2009, 06:23 AM
I may have missed this, but back early in the year, pixologic had announced zbrush 4 in august. Has this changed to be zbrush 3.5?

-George

Grgeon
08-30-2009, 06:42 AM
ahh, i see. Cool, thanks Pnoland.

-George

pnoland
08-30-2009, 06:45 AM
I may have missed this, but back early in the year, pixologic had announced zbrush 4 in august. Has this changed to be zbrush 3.5?

-George

They postponed 4.0 and are giving us 3.5 in the mean time which has some features they initially planned for 4.0 to tide us over (and then some.)

http://zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=073517

ThomasMahler
08-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Way to go, Pixologic. Insane stuff, can't wait to design some creatures :)

Arcanox
08-30-2009, 07:17 AM
I'm quite certain that they've figured a way to channel Edison. Anyone else agree?

TheRazorsEdge
08-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Yes, they changed how perspective works .

Sweet! That all by itself would be worth celebrating!

They used the term "Imporoved perspective" same as they did when they released 3 and 3.2 which still is not correct perspective and sadly I don't think it will ever be since zbrush is 2.5d..:sad:

Little ol' me here's still hopin' ......! :)

Salute!

undoz
08-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't see why it isn't a correct perspective.

The only problem at the moment is that the perspective changes depending on the bounding box and you have to manually compensate it when you isolate a portion of the model. If you fix this, you get the same perspective behavior like any other software, but it shouldn't keep you away from zbrush.

TheRazorsEdge
08-30-2009, 12:12 PM
How exactly do you handle this compensation, if I may ask?

Cheers!

iatriki
08-30-2009, 01:51 PM
How exactly do you handle this compensation, if I may ask?

Cheers!

You adjust the perspective slider

JookBoxer
08-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Back in the day, what was the cost of a version 1 zbrush license?

R10k
08-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Wow, awesome looking update. It's funny how Zbrush plays catchup when it comes to the little things common to most 3D apps, but leads similar apps to play catchup when it comes to almost everything else.

cresshead
08-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Back in the day, what was the cost of a version 1 zbrush license?

link
http://web.archive.org/web/20010518163942/http://pixologic.com/

mykyl
08-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Cresshead, Thanks for posting that. Its great to read and see original stuff that came from Zbrush again.

Cheers

Mike R

Ordibble-Plop
08-31-2009, 12:01 AM
Wow, I'm surprised at that pricing.

I bought ZB 1.23b in August 2002 for $192 (I still have the original receipt), which is much less than the quoted price for the earlier versions. Maybe they had a special at the time - I don't remember.

It's been a long trip and great to see how far they've come. I remember the newly introduced zspheres and my first blunders with them, now can't wait to try out the new advancements.

TheRazorsEdge
08-31-2009, 09:04 AM
You adjust the perspective slider

I figured that much. lol So you're tellling me to just eyeball it!? I'm sorry, but that just doesnt do it for me, hence I stepped over to MBv1 for everything that requires correct perspective to begin with. I was wondering if there was some hidden way to do it with precision and some actual accuracy.

Cheers!

skello
08-31-2009, 09:28 AM
You have the ability to set your own perspective value. whats wrong about that? Just set it to your so called 'correct perspective' (if there is any such thing)

TheRazorsEdge
08-31-2009, 09:41 AM
You have the ability to set your own perspective value. whats wrong about that? Just set it to your so called 'correct perspective' (if there is any such thing)

This is about matching "correct" perspective to external 3D apps such as Maya etc, not about setting things so they look good. As long as you stay in ZB you're perfectly fine, but when you step over to another app things hardly ever look the way they should. I dont feel like re-iterating the whole dilemma, so if you dont know about it, please do a search. It's been discussed over and over and is well known to be one of ZB's more persistent and annoying flaws.

Cheers!

Kel Solaar
08-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Brilliant, Pixologic is definitely ahead of everybody in term of innovation, they are really pulling out some fresh air in the field. I can't imagine CG without them and ZBrush now :)

KS

PsychicFreak
08-31-2009, 12:06 PM
wow that is some insane, bring on the release :)

3mm
08-31-2009, 12:43 PM
wow,this is beyond exception :banghead:
Can't wait for release

WyattHarris
08-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Anybody, anybody? Not me yet. :cry:

Venkman
08-31-2009, 03:02 PM
The hard surface stuff and noise looked really, really nice. Great work, pixologic guys. I gotta say they are one of those developers that routinely impresses me with each successive release.

SamSed
08-31-2009, 04:18 PM
UPDATE 8/31:
The release MAY be delayed by as much as a few days. We will update this announcement the moment that the release has happend and upgrade links have started going out. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to bring you the best version 3.5 possible. While waiting, please check out the newest preview video: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=074539

my message is too short blah blah blah

BigPixolin
08-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Not surprised one bit I knew for a fact nobody was going to see 4 or 3.5 in August.
They knew it would be delayed last week thats why we got a video on the last days instead of the software.
Welcome to the price of free software. They could not charge for free upgrades the way they do things. The wait is torture they should just release it and stop making announcements of upcoming announcements that are wrong anyway.

richcz3
08-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Anybody, anybody? Not me yet. :cry:
Nope - not yet but i've checked and made sure that I have received registration emails from Cleverbridge for my previous versions.
Now it's just the waiting game....:argh:

mecos
08-31-2009, 07:52 PM
i wonder if the mac version will be delayed even further now... maybe ready by halloween?

EDIT: my posts or coming up in the wrong order again. the seem to go to the top of the page.

WyattHarris
08-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Not surprised one bit I knew for a fact nobody was going to see 4 or 3.5 in August.
No you didn't.

Funny thing is if they released the software with whatever problem they discovered in place, be it in the app or distribution, everyone would pounce on them for that instead of thanking them for releasing on time. I'll take the delay with as many problems snuffed out.

BigPixolin
08-31-2009, 08:18 PM
No you didn't.

Funny thing is if they released the software with whatever problem they discovered in place, be it in the app or distribution, everyone would pounce on them for that instead of thanking them for releasing on time. I'll take the delay with as many problems snuffed out.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6017812&postcount=21

Yes I did. Surprise! This is about the 20th time they have done this. They never release when they say they will. I have stated many times months ago that you would be dreaming to think you are going to have z4 or 3.5 in August.

WyattHarris
08-31-2009, 08:48 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6017812&postcount=21

Yes I did. Surprise!
Sorry, I will clarify. You did not know for a fact that it wouldn't be released since the last 2 releases I participated in were right on time. I'm not a Mac user so I have no experience with 3.2x. Anyway, wild guesses are fun but I'll take your advise and not worry about it.

BigPixolin
08-31-2009, 09:12 PM
Sorry, I will clarify. You did not know for a fact that it wouldn't be released since the last 2 releases I participated in were right on time. I'm not a Mac user so I have no experience with 3.2x. Anyway, wild guesses are fun but I'll take your advise and not worry about it.

Sorry but I did know and I have been stating such. 3 was not on time and neither was 3.1 nor did they have all the features working or included that they advertised when they released 3.

Let me state this again I think you have missed it. Pixologic has never hit their own stated release dates EVER! Not since I have been a user around 1.55.

visualride
08-31-2009, 09:49 PM
Pixologic strung us along for 2 years promising every 6 months that release 3 would come out and then they were completely silent when that date came and went, just to make another false promise 6 months later. That was unforgivable.

The problem has never been missed target dates to release their product, but the way they kept us in the dark for an extended period, making many of our proposed production schedules slide (if we were dumb enough to base proposed projects on proposed software). Now at least they are keeping us informed, and as far as I'm concerned, I want it to be perfect and can wait, as long as I'm kept informed.

richcz3
08-31-2009, 09:54 PM
Well I just read Sammy's post. Yes they (Pixologic) have waded right through delivery schedules in the past. I'm not going to get bent about it though. It's not essential to anything I'm doing right now and it's better that they get in working proper before they release it.

bisenberger
08-31-2009, 09:58 PM
BigPixolin...yes you are a psychic:eek:, but way cooler than that

:buttrock:ZBUSH IS COMING OUT WITH A MAJOR UPDATE:bowdown:

TravelGuide
08-31-2009, 10:26 PM
BigPixolin,
if you dislike z-brush and have issues with pixelogic software deliveries why don't you communicate with them directly?

yes, they deliver software late and don't conform with their dates, yes, it is frustrating at times and so what's the big deal? in my book, they have delivered some of the most innovative technologies and have drastically changed the way artists create today, period!

It's amazing to read all of this negative feedback, instead of being appreciative...don't get! :(

If you're so unhappy (and that's your right), simply purchase or use another application.

I would rather have them take the time needed to perfect all of these new features.

Kanga
08-31-2009, 10:50 PM
Let me state this again I think you have missed it. Pixologic has never hit their own stated release dates EVER! Not since I have been a user around 1.55.
So what? All those free updates didn't come on time. I am amazed.

Get back to modelling man, before you hurt yourself :).

BigPixolin
08-31-2009, 11:36 PM
I'm not all bent out of shape. I don't hate zbrush, I love zbrush which is why my post my seem strongly opinionated towards it. I am just stating facts that people for some reason(free upgrades?) don't want to accept. I get it zbrush is awesome, and new versions are free. Nothing else matters, don't even mention that this is the 20th time they have done this or you hate zbrush. I'm right there with ya:thumbsup:

Kanga
08-31-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm right there with ya:thumbsup:
I have a feeling pixologic is just bursting to release 4. The atmosphere isn't one of extra sales but genuine pride in a great improved product. I suspect they really love what they do if that makes sense. I am guessing they are more pissed off than anyone when they cant get it out as projected.

We all know that feeling.

Chokmah
09-01-2009, 12:00 AM
I am registered too , but nothing for me too for now ^^

I think a lot of email have to be send .

Probably patience will be the key . lol

(Something we Cg artist are real children waiting after their new toys ^^ )

SmallPoly
09-01-2009, 02:27 AM

I'd call it conjecture, or possibly hypothesis. Fact would be if you had insider knowledge and could actually see how production is going. I guess I'm just nitpicking a bit. I know what you mean.

I'd think that at this point they've locked down the feature set and are working on debugging. It's not exactly uncommon for companies to pass release dates, whether they give free upgrades or not.

TheRazorsEdge
09-01-2009, 08:34 AM
LOL! What's with all this "I knew it!" and "delay here... unforgivable.... etc etc"-business anyways? Anybody want to be awarded a special choc-chip cookie for stating the obvious and/or pointless?

Heck, I dont care if they delay it another month, if in turn I receive a better product.

It's a free update, people! You dont look a gift horse in the mouth! Would you rather have an update that is on schedule, costs you a couple hundred bucks and is practicably unusable like the MB2009 release or pay another wad of bills on top of that for 2 extra brushes and a ton of new/old bugs like with the MB2010 release?

Get real, guys! This'll be great stuff well worth the extra wait, so lets get back to sculpting for the time being.

Cheers all!

pluMmet
09-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Companies are like people...Once you know what they are like you have a pretty good idea what they will do.

Next Limit constantly disappoints people with Real Flow and Maxwell being late with updates and even recalling features. Everyone over there got mad as hell for a long time but now we just know what they are like.

Pixologic has a motif and we all know it. Thank god part of the motif is ground breaking CG creation tools :arteest:

I'm sure allot of us "knew" it would be late just like BigPixolin did.

No reason for anyone to get upset about something they have no control over

gaiXyn
09-01-2009, 10:02 AM
softWare upDates are like girlFriends.....you complain and complain about them being late...how they can never plan ahead and get there on time....they tell you, you can't rush beauty....and at the end of the day you still take them home....you might even end up apologizing....."oh baby I'm sorry, you know I love you girl...let's never fight again"....

I can only imagine how hard it is to do the things these guys do.....

ltr~

inverse catheter
09-01-2009, 12:02 PM
softWare upDates are like girlFriends.....you complain and complain about them being late...how they can never plan ahead and get there on time....they tell you, you can't rush beauty....and at the end of the day you still take them home....you might even end up apologizing....."oh baby I'm sorry, you know I love you girl...let's never fight again"....

or : B*TCH. HURRY THE F*CK UP !!

mecha
09-01-2009, 04:04 PM
I thought Win and Mac releases were going to be unified? WTF? Mac users delayed again!

pnoland
09-01-2009, 04:23 PM
I thought Win and Mac releases were going to be unified? WTF? Mac users delayed again!

Don't you Mac users already have GoZ though? :P

R10k
09-01-2009, 05:07 PM
WTF? Mac users delayed again!

That's what you get for buying a...

...program by Pixologic! Anyway, I haven't heard about a unified release. Pix are struggling to get one version out on time. Can you imagine two at the same time?

csutcliffe
09-01-2009, 08:48 PM
how do the guys at pixologic make money? A Large quantity of Zbrush users haven't paid for an upgrade in several years and they must still have relatively considerable expenses.

I only hope that the trend of missing deadlines doesn't make a lot of users jump ship to 3d Coat or Mudbox as I love the program with all of it's quirks and i'd like to see it continue being the leading digital sculpting app. Sometmes it seems kind of organic in it's nature (a little overgrown in some places and could probably do with a trim here and there).

Anyhow, I can't wait to see what you guys start to produce when 3.5 gets released as I remember being blown away by the stuff that was created during the beta test for 3.0. It would be cool if Pixologic could show some of the stuff created during the beta test for 3.5 to tide us over.

rock
09-01-2009, 11:52 PM
This is an update from Pixelogic support:

"UPDATE 8/31:

The release MAY be delayed by as much as a few days. We will update this announcement the moment that the release has happend and upgrade links have started going out. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to bring you the best version 3.5 possible"

I just hope that in a few days, no news announcement comes out with the headline "Autodesk has acquired Pixelogic"

Rabid pitbull
09-02-2009, 12:46 AM
" I just hope that in a few days, no news announcement comes out with the headline "Autodesk has acquired Pixelogic"

:rolleyes:

MikeNash
09-02-2009, 01:44 AM
They have delayed it because they neeed to redo the UI to read Autodesk on the menu and start-up screens.

BigPixolin
09-02-2009, 03:24 AM
Here is new info on the delay of the delay of the delay.

UPDATE 9/1:

The release has been delayed to take place sometime during the first week of September. We will update this announcement the moment that the release has happend and upgrade links have started going out. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to bring you the best version 3.5 possible. While waiting, please check out the newest preview video: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=074539 (http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=074539)

republicavfx
09-02-2009, 04:10 AM
"yes, they deliver software late and don't conform with their dates, yes, it is frustrating at times and so what's the big deal? in my book, they have delivered some of the most innovative technologies and have drastically changed the way artists create today, period"

seriously...very few people deserve the moniker of visionaries. it was obvious 5 (?) years ago z brush was unique. what's amazing is that it has kept being visionary. as far as all those people bitching about the interface....screw them....put in the effort and learn the interface or go
use something else. i think 3d coat is heading somewhere good too. but z brush is quite astonishing.

seriously people still wow about duncan brinsmead cause of paint effects...a very cool but quite old technology...ok fluids and 'N' too....i love all that stuff but zbrush doesn't get half the credit it deserves and the truth is the interface is miles ahead other interfaces too ....we're just too used to being dumbed down

mudbox...........lol....yeah right

tonytrout
09-02-2009, 05:45 AM
New software is such a pain, just when you get used to last years model, the ***** change something. All these releases are the same whoevers doing it, and you get the same people just banging on about it. Next will be the bugs moan.

SmallPoly
09-02-2009, 07:38 AM
New software is such a pain, just when you get used to last years model, the ***** change something. All these releases are the same whoevers doing it, and you get the same people just banging on about it. Next will be the bugs moan.

I know rite? That's why I only model in max 1.0 and draw in MS Paint. Why do we even have updates anyways?

tonytrout
09-02-2009, 11:33 AM
That's why I only model in max 1.0 and draw in MS Paint.

that explains a lot :)

Half the updates aren't worth having

bisenberger
09-02-2009, 12:59 PM

That's true with some of the AD and MS products, but that's never been true with ZB:beer:

TVeyes
09-02-2009, 03:02 PM

Can I haves half your updatez ? :love:

tonytrout
09-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Can I haves half your updatez ? :love:

Sure you can have 3.5 and I will have 4 :)

routb
09-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Good news about ZB and 3.5. Cant wait to try it. Zbrush always pumps the room up with a ton of pressure before they open the door. It makes for a nice Euphoric experience when I actually get the release.

I have been using 3D coat for a while now. Sometimes we get a few releases a week. Its cool to receive new tools and features at a shorter interval but it becomes less of a blast. Andrew at 3DC is sort of carving a new path for Developer and user interaction. We have the bandwidth to download daily so why not? Users who require absolute stability in production can hang on to major releases while the rest of us dabble and test the new.. I know ZB has a much larger user base which could spell a logistical nightmare.. In the future I think that software development and updates in the 3D will be more tightly integrated with installations.

Stankluv
09-03-2009, 06:55 AM
Will we be able to rig a base mesh in maya, pose it, then go into zb and do our thing on the posed mesh?...that has a relevant equivalent to the original base mesh?

I can imagine the maya end of things involving...base mesh>posed/bone deformations>ctrl-D-copy-mesh>goZ-to-zb>mush away>goz-to-maya>original mesh as a wrap deformer on new mushed mesh>ctrl-d-wrap-deformed-mush-mesh now at equivalent original mesh bind position>swap mushed mesh in for original...quick test (no weight evaluation but I know there are neat volume based weight map transfer tools....I think it will be easy, with or without the wrap transference to the base mesh, we'll see... : )

question number 2...zspheres 2...wow...but all i can see, and barely at all, is something like the current alpha>make 3d meshing...no good topology for free I guess? The current retopo tool has difficult scale issues that make me focus on "model it right first". Not a bad thing.

is there any new meshing love? again, I can imagine some type of interface (totally imaginary) that is along the lines of edge loop here, here, here and ...mmm... yeah...here...and then some options with sliders about some math concept like lms or some tangency ratio or some crap that people will debate about forever, and a maximum edges per point and voila: decent low poly mesh + accompanying displacement maps (forget uvs at this point, embrace auv's) set up in maya? wait zb 4?

bluemagicuk
09-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Is it out yet is it out yet is it out yet

BigPixolin
09-03-2009, 08:01 PM
They are wating until Zunday, Zeptember 6th to release another delay.

MikeNash
09-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Wouldnt expect it to 8-10th to be released, Pixelogic are just one big cock tease

iatriki
09-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Pixologic's master plan:
1. After Siggraph 2008 announce zbrush 3.5 to be released in the 4th Q of 2008;
2. In april 2009-announce zbrush4
3. End of july 2009-announce zbrush 3.5 with GoZ;
4. End of august 2009-announce Zbrush 3.5 without GoZ;
5. End of september 2009- announce Zbrush 3.1 with a teapot tool preset
6. People go crazy and Pixo reveal themselves as Pokemons.

techmage
09-04-2009, 01:54 AM
Uh oh guys. looks like some shit went down
SAN RAFAEL, Calif., Aug. 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall (http://www.prnewswire.com/)/ -- Autodesk (http://www.autodesk.com/pr-autodesk), Inc. (NASDAQ: ADSK), a world leader in 2D and 3D design, engineering and entertainment software, has announced the acquisition of certain assets from Pixologic Inc., makers of the digital sculpting application Zbrush. The acquisition comes to most as a surprise because Zbrush version 3.5 was supposedly going to be released in the coming days. Pixologic released the statement "This acquisition was on the calender for some time, we were pushing to release Zbrush 3.5 before the acquisition, but due to further testing being required we could not make it in time. We must now delay the release of Zbrush 3.5 till Q1 2010 so we can settle into our new home at Autodesk and bring the next release of Zbrush up to Autodesk standards. We would like all our customers to know that this is not the end of Zbrush, but the begining of a very promising future."
http://pressreleases.autodesk.com/index.hp?s=11&item=820

I guess all good things have to come to an end at some point.

MikeNash
09-04-2009, 02:00 AM
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr144/kravit43/zbrush-nazi.jpghttp://s478.photobucket.com/albums/rr144/kravit43/?action=view&current=zbrush-nazi.jpg

philnolan3d
09-04-2009, 02:18 AM
As much as I would find that press release hilarious, the link doesn't work and I can't seem to find evidence of it anywhere.

BigPixolin
09-04-2009, 03:00 AM
That press release had me for a second until the wording near the end.

spoowoo
09-04-2009, 08:49 AM
@rygoody: Don't do that!

hentsteph
09-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Not funny! :hmm:

Vozzz
09-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Its funny how much people dislike Autodesk. I wonder if autodesk will along microsofts path, where everyone hates it, but uses it, or if people will just stop using it as other apps are catching up.

pluMmet
09-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Its funny how much people dislike Autodesk. I wonder if autodesk will along microsofts path, where everyone hates it, but uses it, or if people will just stop using it as other apps are catching up.

If I'm any indicator then people will jump ship as soon as possible. I've ended my Max subscription just now with 2010 and am on subscription with Newtek and Lightwave Core...

There are viable options in CG packages but few in OSs for reasons of compaitability and not wanting to code more then once.

webhead
09-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Uh oh guys. looks like some shit went down
[/size][/font]
http://pressreleases.autodesk.com/index.hp?s=11&item=820

I guess all good things have to come to an end at some point.

Ha! Didn't fool me. The wording didn't sound official enough.
Besides, that old Autodesk is taking over the whole world trick has been pulled too many times. Maybe if you had posted a statement that Disney acquired Pixologic, I might have fallen for it. LOL

WyattHarris
09-04-2009, 04:07 PM
@rygoody: Pheeewwwwww, my heart just about fell into my feet. Your are a bad man. :twisted: Its funny how much people dislike Autodesk. I wonder if autodesk will along microsofts path, where everyone hates it, but uses it, or if people will just stop using it as other apps are catching up.
Yeah but I like Windows. :D I've barely used any AutoDesk products except AutoCAD really and at this point I guess I never will. Also a Core subscriber.

R10k
09-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Its funny how much people dislike Autodesk.

I'm not sure the previous comments display a dislike of Autodesk necessarily.. it's just that what Pixologic offer, teams working under Autodesk likely never will. I'm sure if Autodesk were purchased by Pixologic, there'd be some complaints too :)

philnolan3d
09-04-2009, 04:13 PM

I love Microsoft and love using their products. I really dislike autodesk and refuse to use their products unless a job absolutely requires me to. I'm LightWave & 3D Coat all the way.

I had my doubts about this press release. AD loves to make a big deal out of it when they buy out yet another company.

Frankly I'm not too fond of pixologic either. They're way too smug for the product they offer.

Stellios
09-04-2009, 04:41 PM
We must now delay the release of Zbrush 3.5 till Q1 2010 so we can settle into our new home at Autodesk and bring the next release of Zbrush up to Autodesk standards

Ahaha this gave the joke away

Frankly I'm not too fond of pixologic either. They're way too smug for the product they offer.

oh man your right, how they just give away software updates like candy, so smug.

R10k
09-04-2009, 05:00 PM
They're way too smug for the product they offer.

That's a strange comment. Why are they smug, exactly?

AJ
09-04-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm LightWave & 3D Coat all the way.Seriously Phil, you should mention 3D Coat more often.

bisenberger
09-04-2009, 05:25 PM
rygoody... what a maroon :hmm:

umblefugly
09-04-2009, 05:28 PM
My biggest turn off of 3dcoat is a certain person who childishly snubs other competing/similar products like Topogun/ZBrush/Mudbox....sheesh give us all a break.

Back to modeling....

cyartist
09-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Seriously Phil, you should mention 3D Coat more often.

In the defense of Phil all of the stuff you guys are waiting for in Z3.5 are somewhat
are working in 3D coat.

3dCoat already has something like Z2 spheres.Watch Phil's videos.

Until Pixologic releases something it is only videos 3D coat is out now!

ps: the retopology tools are just fantastic--the best!!

pnoland
09-04-2009, 05:44 PM
I use the app but I'd like to not see 3d Coat pop up in every Zbrush thread. :P

philnolan3d
09-04-2009, 06:58 PM
This thread is 8 pages long and currently you guys have talked about 3DC more than I have. Chill.

cresshead
09-05-2009, 12:19 AM

you need a smaller paint brush, trying to paint such a 'view' is distorted and not representative of reality.

moogaloonie
09-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Both programs are absolutely amazing for several reasons. Both are applying innovative approaches to making better sculpting tools, and each has strengths over the other. Both are developed by the kind of small companies that most of us seem thankful still exist in this day and age. Autodesk buying either would be no big surprise. Nor would it be surprising to see either one blow away their competition with an unexpected feature of unimaginable wowness. Andrew has shown he's both a top notch coder and has a head for CG with the best of them. Pix has been showing that himself for a few years now already.

I don't think it's fair to call 3D-Coat "the poor man's zBrush" anymore but I'm also not jumping on to the zBrush knocking bandwagon that rolled out torches ablaze when the upgrade notices didn't go out this afternoon.

Or did they? (...runs to check again)

oneandonlyDiscoStu
09-05-2009, 01:32 AM
3dc doesnt feel right - no competition in my eyes.
Now wheres my 3.5 !!!

R10k
09-05-2009, 03:15 AM
This thread is 8 pages long and currently you guys have talked about 3DC more than I have. Chill.

I'm just wondering why Pixologic are smug...

techmage
09-05-2009, 04:54 AM
I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.

But where the hell is zbrush.

MikeNash
09-05-2009, 05:21 AM
3D Coat will probably become the best product for sculpting in a couple years just like zbrush did.
Soon UI and way zbrush works will be way outdated and need to be redone.

Plus 3D Coat is more of true 3D program like xsi or max is.
Zbrush has pixols or whatever fake crap they use for viewport rendering. Just feels like your looking at something phony and not really there in the viewport like other apps.

But i do love zbrush for its other goodies :P

Bucket
09-05-2009, 06:07 AM
I think until Zbrush 3.5 comes out. This thread should become a carrot appreciation thread. Where we can talk about all the great things carrots have done for humanity.

http://sekolahku.net:29437/pages/DoyouknowPic/carrot1.jpg

philnolan3d
09-05-2009, 06:23 AM
I think until Zbrush 3.5 comes out. This thread should become a carrot appreciation thread. Where we can talk about all the great things carrots have done for humanity.

You minded me of the LW beta when it was decided that there are entirely not enough kittens or cats in general pictured in the manual. Since that wasn't going to happen everyone changed their avatars to cats. Many of them still are.

bluemagicuk
09-05-2009, 11:02 AM
...all the great things carrots have done for humanity....

Thomas Jefferson grew a variety of different carrots in his gardens at Monticello. In 1814 he produced 18 bushels of carrots.

oneandonlyDiscoStu
09-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Carrots taste much better with 3dc ;)

Pinoy McGee
09-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Thomas Jefferson grew a variety of different carrots in his gardens at Monticello. In 1814 he produced 18 bushels of carrots.

I wonder if he's pubes turned carrot coloured, cuz rumor has it that too much carotene can tint a heavy carrot eater's hair.

mosconariz
09-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Sufferers of carrot addiction sometimes have an orangey colour to their skin and even the whites of the eyes may turn orange. The palms of the hands and the soles of feet can become carrot coloured in serious cases.

philnolan3d
09-06-2009, 12:46 AM
Also from too much spray-on tanning. :rolleyes:

techmage
09-06-2009, 06:05 AM
where is zbrush

BrianSchultz
09-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Let the rabbits wear glasses!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeOt8XdOUfU&feature=related

cornel H.
09-06-2009, 07:19 PM
The average person will eat 10,866 carrots in their lifetime.

gaiXyn
09-06-2009, 07:28 PM
The longest carrot ever recorded was nearly 17 feet long.
The largest carrot ever recorded weighed 18.985 pounds.

ltr~

cresshead
09-06-2009, 07:56 PM
the week does not end until we are at a new week...
a new week starts on monday...

BigPixolin
09-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Pixologic is closed until Tuesday 9 am Pacific time.

philnolan3d
09-06-2009, 09:35 PM
That makes sense, holiday weekend and all.

rock
09-07-2009, 01:29 AM
This ZBrush due date reminds me of several years ago when I worked for this company, our lady boss, who is both demanding and has a hot temper, walked to each of us asking when our software tasks would be completed. When it was one of the guys in our team to answer, he bravely said, "It's done whenever it's done." Our boss went beserked on him. The software will be released whenever it is released. :)

mosconariz
09-07-2009, 04:25 AM
This ZBrush due date reminds me of several years ago when I worked for this company, our lady boss, who is both demanding and has a hot temper, walked to each of us asking when our software tasks would be completed. When it was one of the guys in our team to answer, he bravely said, "It's done whenever it's done." Our boss went beserked on him. The software will be released whenever it is released. :)

what does it have to do with CARROTS?

Vozzz
09-07-2009, 05:02 AM
eating lots of carrots makes your skin go yellow, eating a lot of tomatoes makes your skin go red, eating lots of both makes you go orange, like a carrot :)

Carrots also have various other applications in every day life, for example leading donkeys forward, as just hitting or slapping them does not seem to work. Small carrots can be used to to plug leaks in various surfaces, these carrots are commonly referred to as "baby carrots".

Some species have been known to eat them, but that is yet to be confirmed.

lovisx
09-07-2009, 07:04 AM
my mom used to grow carrots in her garden, but now she's too old for that.

SergioSantos
09-07-2009, 08:45 AM
When it was one of the guys in our team to answer, he bravely said, "It's done whenever it's done." Our boss went beserked on him. The software will be released whenever it is released. :)

That's what pixologic should say, instead of... this week or this month and never acomplished those dates.

Vozzz
09-07-2009, 09:07 AM
I like maxons approach to new breeds of carrots. They only announce the new carrot when it's all done and finished and sell it straight away. Very nice approach.

philnolan3d
09-07-2009, 02:07 PM
That's what pixologic should say, instead of... this week or this month and never acomplished those dates.

Or they could just have updates once a week. :D

cresshead
09-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Or they could just have updates once a week. :D

or daily builds like houdini has.

CHRiTTeR
09-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Or they could do it how they want to do it and by doing so improve their work enviroment and thus the quality of their product.

Release dates are baaaad. Both for the developpers and the consumers.

mosconariz
09-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Or they could do it how they want to do it and by doing so improve their work enviroment and thus the quality of their product.

Release dates are baaaad. Both for the developpers and the consumers.

Yeap that happens when you rush your carrots' harvesting

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_h2EzbV4lTjA/SisNfRzNmRI/AAAAAAAACu8/TBzhChYrKiw/s1600/In+My+Kitchen+Garden+-+itty+bitty+thinned+carrots.JPG

Sil3
09-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Im a believer that all this missed dates are part of a strategy to confuse the competition (i mean Mudbox)... and to be honest it seems to work...

elvis75k
09-08-2009, 04:40 AM
http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/ enjoy! Can't sleep (it's 5:30AM here)

BigPixolin
09-08-2009, 05:58 AM
I can't wait to see what people come up with using zspheres2 after the whole lumps of turds with muscles phase is over like shown in the videos.

hotknife
09-08-2009, 01:25 PM
............!

Laa-Yosh
09-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Ouch, the interface and workflow look overly complicated... Zbrush really doesn't have the architecture to properly support such complex features.
And that adaptive skinning part doesn't look nice at all, but the unified remeshing is OK, even though you obviously have to redo the topology after that.

But for sculptors, it should be just fine, so they can work with the whole armature stuff for posing. With decimation master and polypainting, Zbrush can now implement the entire toy/collectible creation workflow digitally in a single app... but I'd still rather use simple poly modeling for everything else.

R10k
09-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Some cool stuff there... but I see the combinations of Shift, Ctrl and Alt have increased once again...

ambient-whisper
09-10-2009, 02:06 AM
which is good, cuz id rather have quick access to modifiers than having to locate button number 1463483739 for x feature. there really isnt that many to remember anyway.

Fess1001
09-10-2009, 03:05 AM
Man, it's unbelievable that such incredible awesomeness is heading our way. Hard surface brushes, zspheres2, procedural noise and the new plug ins that have come out or about to come out around 3.5 release... And then there would be a 4.0 too. It's a new ZOMFG era!

rock
09-10-2009, 05:30 AM
It looks like we may have to wait anywhere between a week to three months more. From Pixologic support desk:

UPDATE 9/8:

We are working to release 3.5 for the PC as quickly as possible. Last minute issues arose which forced the delay, and we are working overtime to correct this.

Once the launch has taken place, please wait two business days before contacting Pixologic to inquire about not having received an upgrade link. As stated below, links will be sent out in batches and it may take a couple days for them all to be sent. We have updated the instructions below to reflect the new schedule. Please do not follow the original schedule to contact Pixologic regarding your upgrade status! Inquiring before the launch has happened, or within two business days of launch will not speed anything up. It will in fact slow us down.

We appreciate your support of Pixologic, and ask for just a bit more patience while we work to provide you with the most polished ZBrush 3.5 possible

routb
09-10-2009, 05:58 AM
I hate to say it but I think there is something disenchanting about this round of Zbrush development.. I have been watching the vids of the new features roll out in the class room.. Looks kinda beta.. Particularly the planar tools. I see a lot of new Buttons and brushes occupying an awful lot of space that serve very particular tasks. First glance Feels like loose Beta toys that never really got boiled down to be unified trusty tools. I hope I'm wrong and I love it..

IC

philnolan3d
09-10-2009, 06:18 AM
Funny thing is I understand the more programmers you have the more often these delays pop up, because there's more chance that this guy doesn't know what that guy is doing.

Bucket
09-10-2009, 06:50 AM
Funny thing is I understand the more programmers you have the more often these delays pop up, because there's more chance that this guy doesn't know what that guy is doing.

Well possibly.... but.. Having beta testers who don't make any useful contributions can cause all sorts of problems. A lot of beta testers will just use the new software even if it is somewhat broken. They'll use it and not report a lot of glitches because they're finding workarounds. Then when the app is one week away from being released. The beta testers freak out because the chances of being stuck with mildly glitchy tools is a scary thought. So they start submitting large lists of glitches. And if you are a zbrush user you know actual updates don't come very often. So some bugs and glitches might be around for quite some time.

The only upside I can see for pixologic doing beta tests is that they get to show off work done with the most recent tools in there galleries. Other than that, unpaid beta testers usually aren't the best means to solidfying a final product.

AJ
09-10-2009, 01:49 PM
It's been released:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=74989

SmallPoly
09-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Yep. Got my zMail for the upgrade today. Now what am I going to do with all these carrots?

bluemagicuk
09-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Wont install for me .

"The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Installing the application may fix the problem."

Great help seeing as im just trying to install it on a brand new fresh windows xp 32bit install. With .net 3.5 as well.

I cant even install the damm thing.

CGTalk Moderation
09-10-2009, 11:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.