PDA

View Full Version : Workflow when not using GI.

halfPintMike
08-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Hello there, I was wondering if there is any particular way to light a scene by pure faking, that is, with no GI? This is how I do it now: I concentrate on the lighting the stationary elements of the scene and in the process of which the empty spaces are not lit at all or is lit differently from the kind of lighting in the scene. That, perhaps, is fine for stills but what if an animated character walks into those spaces? Should the character be lit separately or should the scene lights be set in such a way that the stationary and animated elements are both lit in one set up?

Thanking you,
Timothy.

mister3d
08-28-2009, 12:56 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=21&t=798370 On the same page.

halfPintMike
08-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm sorry but I can't find the answer there. Could you be a little more specific?

mister3d
08-28-2009, 06:44 PM
It depends on a scene I think. Try to set up fake stationary lights, as it's how it would be in real life. If your character runs in a desert, maybe it would be enough to attach a single bounce light.

halfPintMike
08-29-2009, 12:57 PM
That is to say the key lights placed in the scene must correspond to the actual position of the primary light sources in the scene? If an exposed bulb, a point light must be kept in the its position and the other types of light must be placed as necessary?

mister3d
08-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Key lights are set as usual, no additional lights for key lights are needed (what for? They already illunminate.).All you setup is bounce lights.

beaker
08-30-2009, 06:40 AM
create an array of directional lights in 30 or 45 degree elements in a sphere. Make them all diffuse only lights(no specular). This will give a base GI feel to the entire scene.

I'm not sure what application your using but most have a base script out there that will set something like this up for you. GI joe for example is a melscript for maya that does this.

MikeBracken
08-30-2009, 07:12 AM
There is a script for this called elight for Max. You can download it at Scriptspot.

Also, regardless off what software you are using, you should check out Jeramy Birns dvd on lighting in maya. Very good stuff there.

Regards,
Mike

halfPintMike
08-30-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm using blender and actually I've used this dome in my last scene. Well a sliver of it. The thing is I'm planning to master faking properly before going over to GI and having no proper study matter I wanted to know if I'm on the right track. From what you guys say I more or less am on it. Thank you very much for all you reply. And I am planning to get the dvd or the book by Jeremy Birn. Read a bit of it long back and liked it then.

T.

mister3d
08-30-2009, 01:27 PM
The thing is I'm planning to master faking properly before going over to GI I think there's nothing wrong with using GI first and learning how it works. It's much easier to fake it using a reference.

halfPintMike
08-30-2009, 01:37 PM
You do put a reasonable point. By the time I started to understand GI I was into faking so I decided to keep at it. I'll seriously consider learning yafaray in which case.

grafmishurov
08-30-2009, 08:31 PM
:lightbulb Ambient occlusion and very blurred and interpolated reflections.

gerardo
09-04-2009, 01:50 AM
If you are not using GI, you can have a light rig for each character and a lighting setup for the location. About a workflow when not using GI, you could begin with a direct lighting setup first, then an AO pass, and for the color bleed you could use bounce lights, though Gradients (http://graphic-tutorials.com/lighting/lightwave/gradient-tutorial.php) are better, I think -I'm aware Blender users can do this (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread?t=58086) as well - maybe you could add the bounce light effect in post (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=21&t=471102), or you could try a shader or nodal setup if Blender allows it.

Btw, I agree about to begin with real GI first and then try to fake it.

Gerardo

halfPintMike
09-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the links. But I do realize that the methods you've given are ways to save time and not as good a teacher of lighting as GI. I though faking will get you to understand the way lighting works bounce by bounce. So will start learning GI.

T.

grafmishurov
09-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Try to optimize GI settings for archieving time, without using GI, FG, or AO, or even baked AO, and with fake backlights, your picture would be very non-realictic.

gerardo
09-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the links. But I do realize that the methods you've given are ways to save time and not as good a teacher of lighting as GI. I though faking will get you to understand the way lighting works bounce by bounce. So will start learning GI.

T.

Yes, that's basically what I say in one of those tuts. Those methods - and any other method to fake GI - imply to understand real lighting first. This is specially certain in the gradients method where one fake indirect lighting bounce by bounce. The good thing about observing real light behavior first and learning GI after, is that you will be able to fake it successfully later with methods to save time.

Gerardo

halfPintMike
09-11-2009, 10:07 AM
I came here seeking to check if my current workflow is correct and you convinced me to take up GI!. Thanks a lot for all the help. I got yafaray installed and it's working just fine. Must learn to control it now.

Thanks again.
T.

CGTalk Moderation
09-11-2009, 10:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.