PDA

View Full Version : Ogre3d inside Director 11 !!!

Renan-Leser
08-27-2009, 09:43 PM
A friend here from COPPE-Federal University of Rio de Janeiro made a stunning work by merging the Ogre3d engine with Director 11, and I would like to share with everyone his studies:

http://gabrieldesign.com.br/blog/ (http://gabrieldesign.com.br/blog/)

Just click in the Language button to change for english. By now, he had success in using some hard shaders like Relief Mapping, Normal Mapping and the default video changes that ogre3d has like Blur, Motion Blur, Bas Relief, and etc. Today, he integrated the Intersense system to the "OgreXtra", allowing Augmented Reality applications with these stunnig shaders.

For us, here at COPPE this is a high jump into much better real-time graphics, because shockwave3d just can`t handle good shaders and we are hard users of Director 11.

Hope it gets the visibility that deserves.

Sorry for my bad english.

Renan.

XDragon
08-27-2009, 10:03 PM
If Director 12 has this as a default plugin then I could see where Director could re-establish itself among the modern GE dev programs like Unity, NeoAxis, DX-studio, ect...

Being able to see modern graphics in the shockwave player would be very nice, because there's so many browser games made with Director and nearly everyone has the player, good for browser based games.

erilaz
08-28-2009, 08:43 AM
If Director 12 has this as a default plugin then I could see where Director could re-establish itself among the modern GE dev programs like Unity, NeoAxis, DX-studio, ect...

Being able to see modern graphics in the shockwave player would be very nice, because there's so many browser games made with Director and nearly everyone has the player, good for browser based games.

Director 12 needs to seriously step up if it's going to be anything other than obsolete. Director 11 was such a disappointment after years of flailing with the engine in 10 that I wonder if they just should have waited. The only way to make it better right now is experiments like the one above.

mentexz
08-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi there,
I understand that many Director users have been disappointed, especially after the last updated. The truth is that everyone hoped for a upgrade for w3d format. But, no go!. Lately we just had the benefit of bug fixes, flv support and other minor improvements compared to a true 3d engine update. I hope these comments are not offensive to the Director developers. And I do hope that the next Director version does bring updates to 3d version, because many users have moved to other multimidia building softwares, the users at my lab have already set aside director and adopted Quest3d, which is an excelent software, but I have embraced this oportunity to learn more about 3d engines, games and C++ programming.

Even so... the Director SDK, or better XDK, for Xtra building leaves a very large door for new developments. Although the SDK is sometimes confusing, it was a great contribution to Director. We at COPPE/UFRJ have been exploring these resources for quite some time, and I have built several Xtras extending and improving Director. The OgreXtra was my attempt to overcome the 3d limitations.

But it could have been any engine, I have already seen a pure OpenGL Xtra and Irrlicht Xtra, both worked well, but they were all focused on programmers, and maybe didnít reach out to the scripting designer community (or did, Iím not very well informed about that). I was hoping to make this xtra similar to the shockwave 3d for easy migration.

I have become a big Ogre3d fan and hope to finish this project soon.

Thanks for the mention from my colleague Renan, and for your comments.

Gabriel...

www.gabrieldesign.com.br/blog

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2009, 09:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.