PDA

View Full Version : Constraints---How

sgiuoco2
08-06-2003, 12:53 AM
How do you create constraints inside of Lightwave. Example...
I want my character to pick up an object. After it is picked up, it moves with the object.

Thanks

DaveW
08-06-2003, 01:22 AM
For something like that, you would probably want to use Parenter. Add it to the motion modifier list for the child object.

sgiuoco2
08-06-2003, 01:53 AM
Thanks that helps a bunch. I am suprised that I haven't seen this question come up very much. Does everybody just animate their characters not picking or handling objects? I am sure you do, I am just the only one who didn't know how to do this.:applause: :shrug:

Triple G
08-06-2003, 02:19 AM
I usually just make two copies of the object, one parented and one not. Then I'll just turn them on/off at the frame at which the switch occurs.

kretin
08-06-2003, 03:05 AM
There's a trick to using parenter though... because it basically works as a point constraint rather than an actual parent/child relationship, you should make a child null of the item/s you want as parents and "parenter" the object to the child null/s. That way you can adjust the position of the object relative to the parent by translating the child null.

I sometimes use this method, sometimes use the 2 copies of an object method, depends which is faster/easier to setup for the specific task.

sgiuoco2
08-06-2003, 03:17 AM
thanks everybody for the quick response. I have figured everything out now. I am using kretin's method of using the null to affect the constrained object. that is giving me a better result and more control.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.