PDA

View Full Version : Best digital art course in Scotland?

kazerniel
08-27-2009, 11:58 AM
In your opinion which is the best university course in Scotland for an illustrator-wannabe?

moidphotos
08-27-2009, 09:19 PM
There is a huge thread, now somewhat abandoned since this sub forum replaced it that discusses animation / digital art in England and Scotland:

You can find it here, and please ignore the poor spelling in the title (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=284&t=50251&highlight=universitys+scottland)

Do be aware that much of the information in the thread is out of date by now. Have you looked to see if the Concept Art forum has an education area? It might be worth asking there as CGTalk is more animation focused.

kazerniel
08-28-2009, 06:05 AM
Thank you :)

martinf430
09-09-2009, 02:41 PM
As far as scotland goes i only know of university of west of scotland in paisley which is 5 mins from glasgow on the train (im about to start my 4th year honours here). Also a theres a university in dundee i believe.

To be brutally honest i would not reccomend the UWS course as they have taught me absolutely nothing. I have learned everything myself on the internet and i use maya. The uni insists on lightwave being its core package although they will allow u to submit in whatever package u like. Even when they teach people the lightwave stuff they teach very basic techniques and u have to learn the rest yourself. Oh by the way we never started learning any 3D stuff till 3rd year! although this has now changed and will be taught from 2nd year.

When i first started i did the Computer Animation with Digital art course one would think this would be learning 2d and 3d animation with alot of vector graphic work for the digital art side like photoshop etc. This was not the case, there was collecting rubbish for scrap books and doing free hand drawing as part of the digital art course so i switched to Computer Animation with multimedia but this was mainly using programs like Adobe director and flash which is ok if u want to do that sort of thing but theres no elements of digital art.

So in a nutshell if u want to learn yourself and get your degree go to UWS. If you want to be taught propperly all the techniques that will ultimately get you a job in the industry i would reccomend elsewhere. Going by student work that i have personally seen on the internet doing research, the university of hertfordshire down south seems to produce the best work. Im sure the poster above will be able to tell you more of this tho. hope this helps.

kazerniel
09-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Thank you for the detailed reply :)

moidphotos
09-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the recommendation martinf430, very kind of you. I'm sorry to hear that your course was not what you expected, I had the same experience many years ago when I was a student so I know how disappointed you feel from it. Don't let it depress you, if CG is where you want to head, keep going, you'll get there if you've got enough determination and talent (and a certain amount of obstinate refusal to give up in my case) in the end. It took me two years after I graduated before I got my first junior games artist role, I hope you get there (or wherever you want to go) a lot quicker. I would say post your work online, get criticism on how to improve it and constantly practice your traditional skills - I'm finding I use those more and more even though I'm still constantly learning technical tricks; it's the basic art skills of design, composition, colour, perspective, research etc that make the image work, the tricks just add the sugar on top :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2009, 09:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.