PDA

View Full Version : tonemapping

mister3d
08-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Does anyone know what kind of tonemapping maxwell uses and for what reasons? The photographic exposure is not considered to be a tonemapping from what I understand. In mental ray there's a photographic exposure+tonemapping, which consists of "burn highlights" (controlling overbright problem), midtones and blacks suppression.Also image color saturation and whitepoint.
I read a thread here regarding tonemapping and many users agree that it makes sense making it as a post-process, except photographic exposure. I believe that it applies also to vignetting and whitebalance.
But those highlights suppression controls seem reasonable if you know what you want. Suppressing blacks or adjusting saturation, well, looks like not a bad addition if used subtly.
What do you guys think? Do you use tonemapping?

Trauco
08-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Unless I don't got access to post-processing software, i never use any kind of tone mapping, it is so much easier to render to 32 bit float and do those adjustments later.

mister3d
08-29-2009, 03:39 AM
Thanks for reply Trauco. Yeah, what you say makes sense. Maybe it's more for those who don't use post-processing, the same as bloom output shader in mental ray.

israelyang
09-19-2009, 02:39 AM
yes I agree with Trauco. Those things you mentioned should be fairly easy to recreate in comp. It becomes so much easier down the road when you have those extra controls in comp

mister3d
09-19-2009, 07:17 AM
Thanks Yang.

CGTalk Moderation
09-19-2009, 07:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.