PDA

View Full Version : I'm An Artist, But Not The Starving Kind

VTeixeira
08-27-2009, 04:38 AM
A very good article about school/artists/busyness.
Check it out.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/104461
Cheers

grantmoore3d
08-27-2009, 05:37 AM
http://www.newsweek.com/id/104461

Direct Link which avoids the obvious blog-spam.

bstout
09-07-2009, 01:29 AM
Nice one. As someone who has run the gamut of being pressured into working for cheap to free for "experience" (the experience of getting screwed) to charging triple an already high rate for being asked to work over the 4th of July, I think that teaching that business is an art is crucial. Michalangelo knew it, Da Vinci knew it, Jackson, Pollock and Andy Warhol knew it. "The business of art and the art of business" should be required course in every art school.

kandyRabitz22
09-12-2009, 09:32 PM
nice article. But the reality is almost every design job I find pays 12$ an hour and almost never has benefits. And that the fulltime jobs that pay enough to live off of are very hard to get. If I had to go back in time I would have gone to med school and been an x-ray tech or something. But its no surprise every industry seems to be trying to do more for less. it is capitalism. greed. The only industry's that seem to be growing are debt collecting and medical inudstry. And it in that light it strikes me as odd that everytime I change jobs I get less and less medical coverage.
Take the print industry for example. The competition is so stiff overhead is usually less than 5% on projects. Do more, faster, and for less seems to be the only way to bring in jobs. What happens when the overhead is 0%? i had a 20,000$ project walk away last week cause some one bid 1/4 of our price and we bid under market average to begin with. quality you ask? No one seems to really care. So yeah, 35$ and a six pack IS something to worry about.

spindraft
09-29-2009, 10:25 PM
quality you ask? No one seems to really care. So yeah, 35$ and a six pack IS something to worry about.

For me, at least locally, it seems this is the biggest issue. Most people just don't care. I can go on all day about how what I produce is going to be vastly superior quality to local 'student work' or joe-so-n-so. And while they may agree & really like the folio, when it's $500 good stuff vs. $50 junk....they'll go w/ the junk 90% of the time.

It's really quite disappointing. Because so few are willing to pay for the quality work, many additional people never get to see or understand what is even possible. Many folks see the 'junk' and assume that's as good as it gets.

m|3
10-01-2009, 08:05 PM
... And while they may agree & really like the folio, when it's $500 good stuff vs. $50 junk....they'll go w/ the junk 90% of the time.

It's really quite disappointing. Because so few are willing to pay for the quality work, many additional people never get to see or understand what is even possible. Many folks see the 'junk' and assume that's as good as it gets.

So, so true. That's been my experience as well. However I still find it important to maintain my work quality because once in a while a paying client comes along who's looking for quality work and the portfolio with crap loses out.

CGTalk Moderation
10-01-2009, 08:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.