PDA

View Full Version : First Showreel

cubster123
08-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Just put together my first showreel and would appreciate any thoughts and comments.

http://www.vimeo.com/6271887

Cheers!

robcat2075
08-27-2009, 05:04 AM
It's a bit confusing...

the tiny, tiny identifiers in the corner suggest your work on this is as a rigger and not as an animator, right?

cubster123
08-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Yup, my work was as a rigger/effects artist as I want to go into technical direction or a similar field. The "tiny, tiny identifiers" aren't soo tiny when it's on a dvd and not streamed from vimeo.

robcat2075
08-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Yup, my work was as a rigger/effects artist as I want to go into technical direction or a similar field. The "tiny, tiny identifiers" aren't soo tiny when it's on a dvd and not streamed from vimeo.

Ok, good. I thought most of the character animation was weak and so it's detracting from the rigging aspect of it.

I'm not sure how one does a rigging reel. But the animation is a problem there.

I quite liked the pop-up scenes, but the coolness of the models may be distracting from your contribution.

msteinert
08-28-2009, 05:24 AM
Hi Paul.

If your direction is at technical department, I suggest you to look for some samples in the area. Sometimes is boring to watch a puppet with a lot of joints and controllers and how it deforms, but that's the function of the rigger and setup guy: solve problems and make the life of the animators easy (or at least not so hard ;)).

In my point of view, there's not any problems with your labels and font size, but who watches that uninformed will think that you're looking for a position in animation and effects area. Clarify, be more specific not only with labels, but visually. For example, show the process (rig, setup, particles setup, however), and show the final shot after that.

Hope this helps.
Keep going.

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2009, 05:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.