Many, many new features.

See here for full details:
http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3540

eof
08-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Great news!

NicolasJordan
08-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Very nice to have another update out so fast! I think I am going to finally seriously consider upgrading to 3.0 especially now that this 3.1 update is out.

bisenberger
08-25-2009, 09:39 PM
SUPER! go Andrew:buttrock:

morimitsu
08-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Is thia one man company? If so, itīs incredible how hard he is working. Great stuff.

dnashj33
08-26-2009, 01:39 AM
Is thia one man company? If so, itīs incredible how hard he is working. Great stuff.I think as the userbase has grown, so has his staff...nevertheless, I've never seen a single piece of software get updates and bugfixes out at such a rapid rate.
With other software, you're lucky to see a few new features every one or two years. But this one pops them out on a weekly and monthly basis.

If this were a race car, it would certainly break a land speed record. :buttrock:

philnolan3d
08-26-2009, 03:06 AM
The staff is pretty much the same size I believe. When I started using the program there was Andrew, a web guy, and a marketing guy. I think since then they added a guy who does the Mac conversion and one who does Linux. Javis Jones (geothefaust) wrote the new manual, but also does all of the official training videos, both free and paid through Kurv Studios. Of course some forum moderators were needed, so myself Javis, and a few others were added but of course we're just volunteers.

R10k
08-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Wow, this is an excellent update. I think I asked for a couple of bug fixes and a couple of new features, and this update adds those and more!

Time for the buttrock :buttrock:

PixelTricks
08-26-2009, 03:42 PM
He is an amazing programmer. I can't get over how fast he turns out updates and adds new features. He listens well to the community and implements things they request. People wanted a Linux version and he found a way to make it happen. The new features look great.

Gwot
08-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Love this software! At the very least it makes for an awesome 3d sketch tool. It does so much more though, I just can't help but dig deeper into it to see what else it will let me do. And when you find something missing, you just ask for it. =]

Cometsoft
08-26-2009, 05:35 PM
This program is really coming along. I use it mostly for retopo stuff, and have been AWOL for awhile. Just checking back in on 3.1 and I'm blown away by the speed and the very capable navigation system. So far I don't like the brushes as much as ZBrush, but then maybe I haven't learned to use them properly.

It's a great program for low poly normal mapping.

pnoland
08-27-2009, 03:19 PM
3.1 is a nice release, I just upgraded yesterday from my 2.0 license. I figured I could part with 80 dollars since the program does have sweet re-topology tools and is a great companion app for Zbrush. I just need to find out why voxel sculpting is soooo slow on my computer. Hrm...

philnolan3d
08-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Slow eh? Do you have CUDA capabilities? That might help. 64 bit helps too if you can do that.

cyartist
08-27-2009, 05:31 PM
What video card you recommend for 3D coat as voxels is slow on mine as well?

pnoland
08-27-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm pretty sure I have a CUDA capable card. I do have the CUDA 64 bit version installed.

My specs are:

AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+
4 gigs ddr2 ram
Nvidia 9600 GT 512 ddr3

I don't have any issues with Modo or Zbrush so I'm not sure what's going on. I'll post over on the 3dcoat forum as well today.

philnolan3d
08-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Here's the list of video cards that can use CUDA,
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_learn_products.html

Of course you also have to be running the Cuda version of 3DC (available with the other downloads). If you are it will say so on the title bar of the program. You will also find a "Use Cuda" checkbox in the Voxel room, Voxels menu. Make sure that's checked.

I have an 8800 GTS and my laptop has a 8600M GS, both of which use CUDA nicely, but they are a couple of years old.

pnoland
08-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks Phil for the info! In the OpenGL version I don't notice much difference in performance with CUDA on or off but I just fired up the DX version and it is better. It's not as responsive as Zbrush but it's more manageable. I can deal with that. :)

geothefaust
08-27-2009, 10:51 PM
It's possible to sometimes experience a little slow down if you have a video card with shared memory from the system RAM.

Anyway, this is great news. I am happy to have a hand in some of the update, especially the manual.

As far as the staff question is concerned. The staff has not risen or fallen. There is still only one programmer. :)

idtdi
08-28-2009, 01:12 AM
ye good news

Ordibble-Plop
08-28-2009, 03:18 AM
3.1 is a nice release, I just upgraded yesterday from my 2.0 license. I figured I could part with 80 dollars since the program does have sweet re-topology tools and is a great companion app for Zbrush. I just need to find out why voxel sculpting is soooo slow on my computer. Hrm...

I've been dithering about upgrading with ZB3.5 coming out but will go ahead now. I have the same type of card as you (maybe not brand, but a 9600 GT) so will take a look at how it feels.

R10k
08-28-2009, 03:20 AM
It's not as responsive as Zbrush but it's more manageable.

Voxels can be quite slow, when high in detail and with volume edit on, but once you get used to being able to go crazy and do whatever you like to them (like smashing a hole through your object, just for the fun of it), it's easy to look past that :)

pnoland
08-28-2009, 05:09 AM
Voxels can be quite slow, when high in detail and with volume edit on, but once you get used to being able to go crazy and do whatever you like to them (like smashing a hole through your object, just for the fun of it), it's easy to look past that :)

I think I just need to realize 3dcoat is a different way of working and focus more on what I am creating rather than how long it is taking my computer to keep up. :) Very fun application.

Gwot
08-28-2009, 06:06 AM
You can realize some pretty complex sculpts once you learn to manage voxel density. It's really all about breaking things down into logical chunks. I almost never up the voxel resolution when blocking something out. Once I'm happy with my overall form in the initial blockout, I extract pieces or use the copy brush to lift parts off the base into new layers. This gives you more room to refine things further without taking a performance hit.

It's pretty much the same workflow I've used in zbrush since subtools were introduced, only without any need to deal with polygons or create/import base meshes up front at all, which I've really come to enjoy. I'm doing both personal and studio work with it lately on a crappy win32 system with 2 gigs of ram and an iMac with 2 gigs using the GL builds and I really don't feel any hindrance at all as far as performance goes. If anything I feel more free to just sculpt, which is awesome.

If I want to do brute force surface detailing it's just a quick retopo job over top of the voxel sculpt and then fire things over to zbrush. You can even subdivide the retopo result a couple times to soak up details from the voxel sculpt and save yourself having to do rework in zb. I've also used this approach for generating polygon shells that I can finish off in a modeling app as subd meshes.

I still need to explore the full project workflow in this app though. I think that in order to do detail stuff in it you'll probably need to bake all your voxel sculpting into your textures and continue from there by painting high frequency detail into the depth channel - or using the micro-vertex sculpting mode - haven't touched those tools since before version 3 got started though.

ThE_JacO
08-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Did I just read "linux support" in there?
That seems to be slipping by unnoticed, but for quite a few places THAT is the most gamechanging feature in any 3d sculpting app around yet :)
Would be curious to know on what distros and by what requirements.

pnoland
08-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Did I just read "linux support" in there?
That seems to be slipping by unnoticed, but for quite a few places THAT is the most gamechanging feature in any 3d sculpting app around yet :)
Would be curious to know on what distros and by what requirements.

It is impressive that they pumped out a Linux build so quickly. I just did a quick Ubuntu install last night to test it out and I gotta say it is more responsive than on Windows (7) on my pc. It's 40 dollars to add the Linux version if you have a pro license already so that's a pretty good deal!

philnolan3d
08-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Yes I think Javis Jones is using the Linux version and said it was really speedy. I don't have any Linux installs unless you count an ubuntu Live DVD, so I haven't tried it myself.

Gwot
08-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Both linux and mac versions showed up pretty quickly after andrew put his attention toward them. I'm curious to see how long it takes before we see a 64 bit OpenCL version for OSX now that Snow Leopard is out. =]

Magnus3D
08-29-2009, 07:36 PM
At his speed of developement the OpenCL 64bit version should be done in about 20 minutes. :D

/ Magnus

Gwot
08-29-2009, 07:41 PM
At his speed of developement the OpenCL 64bit version should be done in about 20 minutes. :D

/ Magnus
I should probably get a move on and upgrade my OS then :D

philnolan3d
08-29-2009, 09:41 PM
BTW I just read that snow leopard doesn't boot to 64 bit by itself. If you want it you have to hold the numbers 6 and 4 while booting. That sounds fake I know, but it came from a respected mac web site. It was also said that some third party solutions may allow it to always boot to 64 bit.

philnolan3d
08-29-2009, 11:34 PM
3D Coat 3.1.01 Released:
http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3594

- Doubleclick in Quad tool in Retopo will create triangle.
- Better fitting of stroke to surface in Stroke mode in retopo tool - leads to better work of strokes tool on rough surface. Nodes on strokes will be visible much better.
- fixed: ESC in quad retopo tool leads to appearing of triangle instead of quad on next stage.
- Pose handler rotation handlers will not rotate with viewport, the will remain direction in world space. Up/forward rotation works right too.
- fixed: undo and Pose handler issue (was not returning to previous place after undo)
- Undo/redo problem in voxel sculpting solved. Adding/subrtracting/deleting objects was sometimes destructive with undo/redo.
- Axial symmetry tool will act on child objects too
- fixed: invisible preview of spike/curves/merge problem
- Stability of surface tools improved
- fixed: incorrect work of "Rotate along motion" in voxel mode with symmetry
- There is new checker in Retopo menu - Merge/bake only selected faces
- Quadrangulate will create new layer in retopo tools.
- Add new material improved - like Phil Nolan proposed.

pnoland
08-29-2009, 11:59 PM
That was fast...go figure. Does somebody have Andrew chained to a desk coding non stop or something? Give the guy a vacation! :D

Edit: Phil, the link doesn't seem to work. The post may have been removed.

philnolan3d
08-30-2009, 12:12 AM
Link works fine here. Either way it's in the 3DC forum in the New Releases and Betas section.

BTW he actually took a vacation when 3.0 was released, he went to Turkey for 1.5 weeks. He posted pictures
http://picasaweb.google.com/ShpaginaMarina/lVvVxE#

dnashj33
08-31-2009, 10:40 AM
The biggest asset of 3DC is the developer himself...Andrew. Any other company would be putting these features out once or twice a year at best. He's also the most responsive developer I've ever seen. He's supposedly working on revamping the UV layout tools and I expect that they will join the retopo tools as the best in the business.

For the price, 3DC just can't be touched.

philnolan3d
09-01-2009, 06:39 PM
New update for 3D Coat just came out 3.1.02, big features are a couple of new tools called Muscles and Toothpaste. Here's a quick demo video I made.

http://vimeo.com/6382944

Here's the download link (can be used as a demo version)
http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3594&st=0

mosconariz
09-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Hi philnolan3d, I saw your Starfighter thread (http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3210&st=20) in 3D-Coat forums and read that you was not able to use the normal maps as baked from the program. Does it means that 3D-Coat is not ready to replace ZBrush in a game pipeline?

philnolan3d
09-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi philnolan3d, I saw your Starfighter thread (http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3210&st=20) in 3D-Coat forums and read that you was not able to use the normal maps as baked from the program. Does it means that 3D-Coat is not ready to replace ZBrush in a game pipeline?

First, to be clear, it could use the normal maps, but there was a problem with cavity painting on imported normal maps (normals painted in 3DC were fine). Second, that problem was solved with the 3.1 update.

As far as replacing ZB one of the major differences is that ZB needs to bake normal maps, while 90% of the time in 3DC you're painting normal maps in real-time so there's no need for baking.

3DC is currently being used on at least a couple of games I understand.

mosconariz
09-02-2009, 05:07 AM
Thanks philnolan3d for the answer... Now I just need to count my cents and... jump the boat! The coat, I mean

philnolan3d
09-03-2009, 06:29 PM
3D Coat 3.1.03 released with a bunch of bug fixes and a few new features. Here's a quick vid showing the new Rasp-File tool as well as more about the Muscles that I missed in the last vid.

http://vimeo.com/6418098

dnashj33
09-05-2009, 11:47 AM
3D Coat 3.1.03 released with a bunch of bug fixes and a few new features. Here's a quick vid showing the new Rasp-File tool as well as more about the Muscles that I missed in the last vid.

http://vimeo.com/6418098Thanks for taking the initiative on those Phil....can someone cover the part about using the Hide tools to create hard edges? I remember reading about that in the forums a little while back and never really saw a demonstration of how that works.
One of the best reasons I think to get onboard with 3DC even if you're a Mudbox or ZBrush user is that you have MUCH, MUCH more say into the tools you want than you do with those 2 programs, and it's literally like waking up and finding new goodies in your bag every few days or each week. This developer is rolling at record speed.

If there is a feature in ZB or Mudbox that you REALLY want, or have an idea for a feature that they don't have and you'd like to see, ask for it and you'll be pleasantly surprised how fast and often you get your wish. I asked for some improvements to the 3DConnexion SpacePilot navigation, and within a few days, got the update that included them.

Just prior to v3's official launch, I made some suggestions for the UI, and was surprised to see that they got implemented. You just don't get that with other software. You're lucky if anyone listens to your request at all, and lucky to get an update once or twice a year.

It's worth the price of admission just as a great alternative to BodyPaint 3D, yet is proving more and more to be very capable as a sculpting/detailing application. Soon it will be worth the price just for it's UV capabilities...

philnolan3d
09-05-2009, 06:11 PM
To be honest the new Hide tool just came out recently and I've been spending a good bit of time in the Painting room lately so I haven't played with that one much myself. I'll play with it and see what I can come up with, unless someone else does first.

Gwot
09-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Just change your pen to one of the lasso/selection types while the hide brush is active and you can create clean, sharp cuts. Delete the hidden parts when you are done hiding by using the Voxels menu at the top toolbar.

philnolan3d
09-05-2009, 09:38 PM
I could do that without the Hide tool, just with a regular brush / lasso and even save the step of hitting delete, just hold Ctrl while drawing the lasso..

Gwot
09-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Yes you can... the only difference really is that with the hide tool it's non-destructive, so you don't have to commit to it. You can also split the the hidden parts off into a new layer - big reason why I prefer to use it for that.

With the other brushes I kinda wish the lasso tools worked more with the depth settings of the brushes and at the surface level. This way I could use the lasso to add/subtract shapes at the surface better rather than projecting right through - like it does when subtracting. This would make them much more useful for surface detail, especially since there's no masking capabilities yet.

philnolan3d
09-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Yes there have been times when I wished the lasso didn't go all the way through. While typing this I had an idea for a work-around and it worked out pretty well.

Use the Cut & Clone tool with the lasso to make your selection. Now on a new layer with the same resolution paste in the part you copied. Hide the original layer and using a brush with the lasso delete the part you don't want from the copied area. Now right click the layer with the copy and choose Subtract From and pick the original layer. There seems to be a bug in the layer naming in this spot. I'll report that when I'm done typing this post.

In case that didn't make sense I made a quick video:
http://vimeo.com/6448410

philnolan3d
09-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Sneak peak at some sort of rigging tools:
http://bit.ly/tTot6

Veehoy
09-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Probably now I should say something like: ZBrush has that :twisted:

philnolan3d
09-08-2009, 08:57 PM
We shall see, the tool probably won't be out until later today or tomorrow.

philnolan3d
09-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Next update released, 3.1.04

- Massive improvements in curves tool. Curves got 4 modes: extrude, move, rotate, scale to build mesh base rapidly and have very good control over the curve.
- Moving points in curve tool improved - if you will click and drag point handler will not appear but point will be moved in screen space. You can constraint movements with keys 'X', 'Y', 'Z' or using combination of them.
- New checker in curve tool - "Stick to ground" to fit curve better to the surface if need
- Full support of Drag&drop of files from explorer to 3D-Coat done. You can open or merge 3B files, models for painting and voxeling, create pens, assign reference images, create new layrs with texture, create materials, masks, fill fields with filenames. You can drop directly to viewport, then you will be asked how to use object or drop image/object to specific place like materials/pens/masks palette to perform action immediately without questions. Drag&drop supports dropping images not only from file explorer but from web too! For example find some image in google images and drop directly to 3DC without saving it to file!
- I improved cutting of with lasso in voxel room - use CTRL+SHIFT to cut off what is beyond lasso.
- fixed: incorrect preview of fill mode in microvertex painting
- fixed: sometimes splitting face in retopo tool resulted with 2 faces in different retopo groups.
- fixed incorrect combining retopo layers with Shift+Drag

Curves changes are not final - some additional changes are required there. I am trying to make it really perfect.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4376/3dccurves.th.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4376/3dccurves.jpg)

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3594

Gwot
09-09-2009, 11:26 PM
The new curve tool update is awesome. Much more useful for blocking out and posing a character before diving into the sculpt.

philnolan3d
09-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Version 3.1.05 released. Linux version update comes tomorrow.

- fixed most important and BIG Linux bug - point at the beginning of the stroke
- Curve tool usability improved essentially taking into account all requests.
- Save/Load buttons in curve tool
- Bug prevented drag&drop in many cases fixed.
- Also the reason will be displayed - why drag and drop failed if it happened. Some recommendations will be given automatically.
- fixed: Smoothing speed was working incorrect in muscle/rasp-file tool
- fixed: symmetry plane was not updated in primitives and curves tool after merging
- fixed: Sphere primitive does not respect symmetry
- fixed: crash in "Make symm" that happened if source side was empty (mentioned by haikalle).
- symmetry plane shift fixed in clone and degrade
- fixed: bug in retopo tool, pints and quads, when you was trying to zoom with RMB over the model.
- same navigation bug fixed in curves tool.

philnolan3d
09-28-2009, 01:20 AM
If you all hadn't noticed versions 3.1.06 and 3.1.07 have been released. Big features include updates to the Curve tool, like allowing you to mirror the curve points so that you can (for example) create a symmetrical character of curves, then break symmetry to pose the character and improvement to snapping along the symmetry line. In 3.1.07 ABF++ unwrapping was implemented as well as other improvements to the UV mapping tools.

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2009, 01:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.