PDA

View Full Version : Lighting with animation

pankajkaintura43
08-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Hello friends......well I am going to work on a scene which will have a camera animation. Well the scene is like this that the camera will go from an exterior environment to a interior environment( into a train). I am doing the exterior scene lighting with the help of hdri...but I am not sure how to do the interior lighting in such kind of animated scene........ should I go for normal procedure like placing lights in the doors & windows or is there any other way to deal with it which could minimize the render time.......I am also very much concerned abt the jitters...How can remove those jitters as I am working first time on such type scene. :rolleyes:

mister3d
08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
What renderer? Yeah, you should place area lights where windows are. Maybe one day we don't have to do this, and simply turn on sun and sky, but from a sampling point of view it makes sense to place those area lights as they are much more efficient that a simple daylight through windows, for the time being.

pankajkaintura43
08-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Well I will do this scene in maya with mental ray

mister3d
08-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Well I will do this scene in maya with mental ray

Skylight portals are your friends. Bear in mind that your outdoors lighting should be much brighter than indoors (like 20 times brighter). So you can animate intensity of lights to simulate this effect.
If only your camera moves, you can bake in GI - both FG and photon map, and reuse it for every frame. There will be no jitter.;)

pankajkaintura43
08-26-2009, 12:41 PM
If only your camera moves, you can bake in GI - both FG and photon map, and reuse it for every frame. There will be no jitter.;)
Well I have heard about light baking but I have never used it. So could you plz put some light on it................

phix314
08-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Essentially baking takes all the lighting info and converts it to a texture, so it would give the illusion of having light cast.

mister3d
08-27-2009, 04:37 AM
Essentially baking takes all the lighting info and converts it to a texture, so it would give the illusion of having light cast.

Or just using "multiframe" mode of final gather and GI photons in mental ray. Both are possible. It woud be a faster method than baking lighting into textures.

pankajkaintura43
08-27-2009, 05:23 AM
well thanx for all ur suggestions & help mister3d & phix314....................well mister3d where I can get this multiframe mode of FG & GI........I am not getting it in my FG & GI settings.

mister3d
08-27-2009, 05:33 AM
mister3d where I can get this multiframe mode of FG & GI........I am not getting it in my FG & GI settings.
It should be named "final gather map" and "photon map". First you need to save the map somewhere, and then enable "read\write" option. And when you have calculated the fg, you need to press "read only (fg freeze)".

pankajkaintura43
08-27-2009, 06:15 AM
ok..........I got it............I thought multiframe will be a separate option in FG settings.........so I can reuse the same map if only camera is moving. Right? And if any other object is moving then light baking will be a good option? coz I can't use the same map again & again in a animated scene where objects r moving.

mister3d
08-27-2009, 07:35 AM
ok..........I got it............I thought multiframe will be a separate option in FG settings.........so I can reuse the same map if only camera is moving. Right? And if any other object is moving then light baking will be a good option? coz I can't use the same map again & again in a animated scene where objects r moving.

It simply won't react on those objects. You can animate them. What you can do is add some lights to those animated objects which will simulate GI. Just exclude those animated objects from GI first.

pankajkaintura43
08-28-2009, 05:24 AM
well ok I will try it..........well there is another problem which I face most often is rendering in passes..........I face huge problem with shadow & Z depth passes..................I don't know which blending modes r used for both the passes...........sometimes the shadow area gives reflectivity................I went through some tutorials on rendering in layers but nobody told abt the what blending mode shid be used for which pass.......................

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2009, 05:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.