PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Feet in Walk Cycles

dragonfollower
08-05-2003, 05:11 PM
OK, here's my problem. I'm trying to have a character walk a certain distance. I've animated him walking in a walk cycle that I then apply as a motion clip and have repeat. To move him I have a parent Null that I animate. The problem is that no matter what I do, he seems to slide along the path as if he's skiing. Not exactly what I want. Could anyone shed some light on how I can animate the Null to make it look as though he's walking? Also, Wegg, if you read this, I'd be interested to know what kind of method you Eggington guys take when doing a walking scene like this.

Thanks,

-Brian

Wegg
08-05-2003, 07:11 PM
Tilt the camera up slightly. . .

Even in AM its kind of hard to get an interesting walk cycle. But as I was watching Law and Order one day I realized. . . you never see anyone's feet. Ever. So for our series. . . whenever the kids were moving around, we would shoot them from the knees up.

On the RARE occasions where you see them walking we hand animate it and don't do any motionclipped cycles.

I'd also love to see some type of stride length implemented in Messiah. But till then. . . tilt your camera. ;)

Jo B.
08-15-2003, 06:59 PM
i'm an am user as well but i know the problem. i dont know if this works out in your particular scene, but animate a walk loop, but not with the charakter in the same place. let him walk the right distance and use that as a motion clip. make your desired repeats. all you have to do now is to animate the whole thing from each end frame of the loop to the next (starting) frame. with hold as keyframe interpolation this won't take too long and you can be sure that your charakter does not slip.

Qslugs
08-15-2003, 07:20 PM
Ok heres from my experience with compose the other night. I haven't used it much however from what I did I was successful. Read the manual about compose to get a better handle on what I am talking about below.

The main thing is that when setting up a cycle as you know, your starting points need to be your ending points. So with that said, pick your starting points (for all keyframed items) then move everything that is to get keyframed to your ending point (further along the z I am assuming). Also be sure to move the time slider further ahead to a new frame or all this will be in vain. From there animate all your inbetweens and you should then have you character moving from point a to point b with any required motion happening inbetween.

Next you will make that animation into a clip in compose. I believe you can either use the clip or the cut function to do this. I can't remember which one I used offhand. Again, refer to the online docs for correctly making a clip

After all that is done drag a copy of your clip (mmb + Alt I believe) onto a new track.

When that is complete drag off another copy to another track and bump the two clips against one another. repeat as many times as necessary.

Last, see that icon that is the equal sign next to the clip name in the panel to the left? Turn that over to +, it will accumuliate the motion so that your character will not keep resetting the position. You must do this for each clip so that the character will perfom properly.

Also, I am assuming that if your character needs to go around corners or whatnot you will either have to keyframe that manually or add additional clips of the character doing whatever you choose.

This help any?

Qslugs
08-15-2003, 09:09 PM
When I mentioned about "accumuliating the motion" in my previous post, I realized that I made a mistake in my explanation. Accumulation occurs in one of the neighboring areas not where I had explained. I will have to check when I get home, however I believe all you will need to to change the value to a plus symbol (additive) in the motion composite operator section of compose, to add to your current motion.

previous post mistake:

Last, see that icon that is the equal sign next to the clip name in the panel to the left? Turn that over to +, it will accumuliate the motion so that your character will not keep resetting the position. You must do this for each clip so that the character will perfom properly.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.