PDA

View Full Version : Basic motions

Animaniak
08-25-2009, 04:54 AM
Hi Everybody,

I am progressing my basic character animation reel 2009.Please let me know your comments and I believe comments make me good to do better animations.:bounce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixTcF9LdEWw

robcat2075
08-27-2009, 05:51 AM
After watching many "heavy thing" animations I've decided it's unadvantageous to have the heavy object not move at all when the character first tries to move it.

If it just budged even a tiny bit you'd have a chance to show its mass by how it falls back into position. But when it doesn't move at all, you got nothing to show.

On the walk you show after the run, the arms seem to be in exact sync with the legs. It helps make it less mechanical to have their cycle run a bit behind the cycle of the legs. Richard Williams talks on this in the section of his book on walk cycles.

Animaniak
08-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanx Robert to do critique.And I am absolutly agreed that in"Heavy object picking", I need to uplift little and settle it again.
You told that in a walk cycle, hand should moves little earlier or little delayed to avoid mechanical feelings. Am I right?

I am working on it. Thanx Man.

robcat2075
08-27-2009, 09:30 PM
You told that in a walk cycle, hand should moves little earlier or little delayed to avoid mechanical feelings. Am I right?

In real life they are pretty close together, but in animation it seems to help to delay the hand/arm motion.

Check out Richard Williams' Book "The Animator's Survival Kit"

msteinert
08-28-2009, 06:04 AM
Hey man, what's up?

Richard Williams' Animators Survival Kit is a great resource of information. Well, let's go: in your character shiftting base, think about what part of the body is leading the movement; is it the COG? Is the head? You can improve that breakdown, this will give another feeling to your job. I feel the lack of some rotation in the COG too.

Into your animation of the character lifting weight (everyone loves this exercise, I'm doing one either ;)), looks like there was "pops" in some points, for example when he approaches the rock. Maybe you could exaggerate a little more your spine invertion, and rotate the head backwards.

I like your running cycle, but your walk cycle looks mechanical, I can't tell exactly what gives me this impression, but I've. Take a look at some references, it will help a lot.

Hope this helps.
Keep going, man!

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2009, 06:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.