PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Scorsese may tackle the sci-fi epic series HYPERION?!

RobertoOrtiz
08-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Quote:
"Dan Simmon's Hyperion saga is one of the best series of science fiction novels in the last several years, if not ever. It's not really a series; it's two long stories each split into two books. Amazing characters, amazing literary references, amazing prose, and one of the most amazing far-future human civilization concepts ever. Mind-blowing stuff. I've always assumed there was no way this could be made into a movie -- the plot is broad and complex (almost to the point of incomprehensibility at times), the amount of CGI that would be necessary is staggering, and the themes are profoundly mature.

Dan Simmons spoke at the University Bookstore in Seattle a few nights ago. Among a bunch of great stuff, he told us that the screen rights for the Hyperion saga have been sold to a major studio -- and that a major star and major director are in talks for a trilogy of movies based on the Hyperion saga. "

Here is some salt, and please take considering the source.
Here is a link to the article:

>>Link<< (http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15798)
-R

leuey
08-05-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by RobertoOrtiz
Quote:
" he told us that the screen rights for the Hyperion saga have been sold to a major studio -- and that a major star and major director are in talks for a trilogy of movies based on the Hyperion saga.
>>Link<< (http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15798)
-R

If it's true I'm very excited - it's the best sci-fi series I've ever read (twice). Scorsese would be great - but lets hope the 'star' is Daniel Day-Lewis and NOT Leonardo DiCrapio.

Anyway, it will take years to make this - exciting news though. (The Shrike on the bigscreen?? :love: :love: )

best,

Greg

Thalaxis
08-05-2003, 06:38 PM
That would be a truly awe-inspiring saga to bring to the silver
screen... but I'd rather put it in the hands of Joe Micheal
Straczynski or Peter Jackson. I guess Scorcese will do in a pinch,
though :)

Voxelator
08-05-2003, 07:04 PM
Wow, if that's true it is really fantastic news !!
Hyperion truly is a sci-fi masterpiece, if it is adapted on the big screen it will be comparable to LOTR in terms of complexity and depth of the story. It is a daunting task, but the result could be amazing.

Clorets
08-05-2003, 07:36 PM
:eek:
Hyperion on big screen!
That would be a very big challlenge for Scorcese. I always though it was impossible to make a movie of this saga: the plot is divided into many little stories, it could confuse the audience!
I really liked Hyperion but I think that the FONDATION cycle (Isaac Asimov) would be much more realizable than Hyperion and the story is as much(if not more) interesting than Hyperion's story.

:thumbsup:

GRMac13
08-05-2003, 07:41 PM
Great News!

It'll be interesting to see how Scorsese deals with sci-fi material. He's one of my favorite directors. I loved the way he handled the "phychological thriller" genre with "Bringing Out the Dead" (which really freaked me out). He also has a way with historical material like "Gangs of New York" "The Age of Innocence" and "Kundun." But this will be the first time Scorsese tries his hand at sci-fi, (unless you include his work on "Amazing Stories"). IMO, he's one of the best directors out there, and one of the most underrated. He has a talent for creating character-driven films, and although the action in some of his films is great, it always has purpose, and NEVER overshadows the larger issues in the story.

I'll be keeping an eye out for this one.

Signal2Noise
08-05-2003, 09:04 PM
Sounds fantastic. I've never read the books so I'm going to buy them and check 'em out. Two books right?

Also from the article:

So that's what I've got. If you haven't read Hyperion and you have any taste for grownup science fiction, put it at the top of your list. Now if only they'd do this for Stephen R. Donaldson's Gap series...

I've been saying this all along. The Gap Series needs to be made into a movie(s). Incredible story. Not sure who could play Angus Thermopyle tho'...:shrug:

malducin
08-06-2003, 06:12 AM
Well the whole saga is 4 books: Hyperion, Fall of Hyperrion, Endymion and Rise of Endymion.

Leesee
08-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Wow,great news,thank you Mr.ortiz.:beer:

Nemoid
08-08-2003, 11:53 PM
If true could be a good news! Scorsese is one of the best directors. :buttrock:

but actually I think he doesn't like so much sci fi to make a trilogy.

history tells he didn't attend at the projection of Star Wars made from Lucas for his friends, Spielberg, Coppola, etc..to show clearly that he thought the movie was quite crap...:shrug:

d8ed
08-09-2003, 04:44 AM
holy shit. if this ever materializes i'm going to be very happy. I've read the series twice so far. good stuff!

i'm still waiting for someone to do the Ender series. Starting with Ender's Game. that one can stand on its own!

Mike RB
08-09-2003, 05:43 AM
enders game movie:

http://www.frescopictures.com/movies/ender/

d8ed
08-09-2003, 05:47 AM
niiiiiiiiiiiice!! 2-4 years i gotta wait. DAMN. Ender is the next Harry Potter! ;)

Snowcrash would be sweet as a movie as well. A katana carrying pizza delivery man.. can't go wrong there.. ;)

leuey
08-09-2003, 08:26 AM
As much as I want to see it I fear I will be disappointed. Hyperion was magnificent but how can you possibly make a movie out of it? Just think about the first book - it's essentially a compilation of short stories. The second book contains so much narrative concerning the Technocore's agenda and split factions that it would make the 'talky' scenes in the Matrix Reloaded seem trivial. I want to see it - I just don't want to see it 'dumbed down'.

anyway - any favorites actors for a Fedman Kassad?

best,

Greg

azazel
08-09-2003, 09:38 AM
From this series I know only "Rise of Endymion". What I noticed is that it's very powerful in visual way. I didn't like the story nor characters that much (just personal pref ;)), but 'visuals' were great. And hard to recreate on the screen. Hope they succeed and make it a good movie, nod another teenage sf crap.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.