PDA

View Full Version : wrong deformed surface

io,
08-05-2003, 10:09 AM
hi.
i have this problem. if rotateing (X axe) hand joint i get this deformation on mesh.
could u give me some hints?
10x in advance.

Matt Leishman
08-06-2003, 04:05 PM
looks like you have stumbled across the infamous problem of simulating the rotation of the ulna and radius bone when our wrists rotate in the "x axis".

you can rotate your wrist in the z, or the y and it probably looks fine, but you need to find a solution that will allow the deformation of the mesh to gradually fall off from wrist to elbow as it rotates in the x. This tutorial (http://www.electronicgaming.com/tutorials/) may be a little advanced on how to set up a good forearm, but it works (and hey, this guy now works at tippett studios as a rigger, so he knows what he's talking about).

the bottom line is that you need to find a solution that will allow you to have a smooth degree of deformation from the elbow to the wrist as it rotates in the x, and maybe all you need is to pop in a "forearm" joint to facilitate this. Go here (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials/arm_ik_fk/arm_ik_fk.html) and you'll find a good tutorial as well on doing this simple technique.

Good luck!!

io,
08-06-2003, 05:26 PM
10x for the support. yap, u'r right, i was trying to simulate the ulna problem. and also i have a ik/fk thing going on.
the problem is that now we have to use maya 5. the rig works just fine in 4.0 (in witch was made). i know that in maya 5 it been implemented the ikHandle1.ikBlend thing, and it's good , but i cannot find a solution for my problem. probably i will redo the rig in 5 but if u can help me out with this, it will save a lot of time.

10x again

Matt Leishman
08-06-2003, 05:32 PM
to be honest, i've hardly played with maya 5, so i'm not really familiar with the ik blend thing. I'll have to look it up and then if I can figure that out, maybe i'll be able to better help point you in some direction.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.