PDA

View Full Version : Animated Short Film "Le Cinquième Jour"

Frotze
08-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Hi everybody!

I recently graduated from the Cégep du Vieux Montréal in 3D animation. Each student there is required to create his very own one-minute animated short film. This make for a challenging project since we all have to deal with everything from the very script to the final composite. Preproduction on this film took about 8 months (on and off since it includes winter and summer breaks), and actual prod and post-prod lasted 14 weeks.

I just proceeded to upload it in online, so I’d be delighted to know what you all think. It’s on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/6224315) at the moment, and I also added a direct link on my website for anyone who would like to watch it in all its glory: leCinquiemeJour_H264_HD.mov, 68.9 MB, 1 min 32 (http://www.forestanimation.com/videos/LeCinquiemeJour_H264_HD.mov)

I'd like to add that I had the honor of winning the "Best Short Film" award at my school that year.

Softwares:

Maya 2008, Adobe CS3 (After Effects, Photoshop, Premiere and Audition), ZBrush 3.1, CrazyBump

Music:

EntropiK (www.strikingmediamusic.com)

I hope you enjoy all the hard work that went into the making of this film!

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj279/frotze/leCinquiemeJour_title.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj279/frotze/leCinquiemeJour_010_083.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj279/frotze/leCinquiemeJour_020_056.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj279/frotze/leCinquiemeJour_040_038.jpg

pentool
08-23-2009, 05:06 AM
:applause:

lipuster
08-23-2009, 07:49 AM
beautiful wrk dude.

RwVision
08-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Great work, man. Animation and render are beautiful.

Kwakos
08-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Totally Awesome.

Frotze
08-25-2009, 01:10 AM
pentool: Cheers! :)

lipuster: Thanks mate!

luzak1: Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated!

Kwakos: Haha, thanks C. Totally can't wait that YOU post your film too! :)

SarwarZKhan
08-25-2009, 05:36 AM
Your render and animation was quite impressive....I just did not understand the plot, why didn't he take the parachute before, anyway there must be sumthin I'm missing rather I think...

Overall is a great short film :-)

Lendor
08-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Fanatastic short :cool:
Is very nice to see sometimes something beautifull :beer:

Frotze
08-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks a lot Lendor!

Yea SarwarZKhan, I always feared that this question would rise. I personally reason that he didn't jump because he seriously have no idea what's underneat and his parachute is a little damaged. He prefered to write a big SOS and wait for help, then jump later if there's really no other option.

But you know, it's still a case of "that's not what I've done" and I try not to reason to much. Tons of things can go through a man's head. Perhaps dying in the sky over the clouds almost feels like an honorable death now that he's lost his dear plane and cannot fly anymore?

Anyway, thanks for the comments! I really appreciate it.

glxtrix
08-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Very nice! I love the establishing shot :) Seemed to be a few edging issues around the trees, but not sure if it was compression issue or compositing. Awesome job!

Delucubus
08-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Great job! The animation on the hand in that first shot was great, nice and subtle.

RobertoOrtiz
08-26-2009, 03:26 AM
Great work!Could you tell us a bit more about the production?
BTW Plugged!
-R

BUZZFX
08-26-2009, 04:50 AM
David, beautiful detail and use of color. My only regret was that it wasn't longer. Congratulations. :)

arkangel-fx
08-26-2009, 05:00 AM
David, awesome work! Really inspiring. I really loved the colors and overall mood of the short!
:beer:

VrodRick
08-26-2009, 05:28 AM
Amazing! I personally hate heights and had that weird tingling sensation in my feet when he was being pulled of the side...it was awesome! Loved the surprise cloud riding at the end, overall 5/5!

cgjoker
08-26-2009, 07:57 AM
I realize this story...good render ! I love pic2 best

KIDI
08-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Cool work and very nice render :applause:
some of the textures needs more rez .

MatejaPetkovic
08-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Wow man this is excellent short, just love every aspect of it. To be honest i would like to see more.

M

slowgolde
08-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Lovely stuff! Congratulations on all your hard work paying off.

paintbox
08-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Really emotive animation, and everything worked together. Also, it brought a smile to my face, merci! :-)

MaxAlbert
08-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Nice!! I really like it!!!

phoenix
08-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Excellent work man...

Regards

noizFACTORY
08-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Good stuff this. I liked the lighting and the colours and you managed to say a lot in just a minute! Keep up the good work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

-Sachin

Nemo1975
08-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Fantastic.
Short & Sweet.
Love the colors and ambiance.
It's obvious a lot of hard work went into it.

Branko
08-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Truly a pleasure to look at, congratulations on the plug, you certainly deserve it!

Frotze
08-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Wowie! Thank you so much for the plug, Roberto!

Gltrix: Thanks! I tried to design the mountain specifically to get a nice silhouette in that first shot.

Delucubus: Haha thank you! You have no idea how many times I literarily re-rendered that shot just because I wasn’t satisfied of some tiny movement of some finger. :D

BUZZFX: Cheers! I too would have loved to make it longer. It was a restraint of the assignment and I already have made it longer than I should have. But it was a great challenge at the same time. Next time maybe ;)

arkangel-fx: Thank you! The color scheme went through many iterations but I think it worked well in the end.

VrodRick: You couldn’t make me happier!

Cgjoker, MaxAlbert, Phoenix, Nemo1975, Branko: Thanks to all of you for your comments!

KIDI: Thank you! Yea, I know… The mountains were so huge that even with a good resolution texture it still would look like total crap when seen from up close. I did camera projections in most of the shots to add details but I got lazy in some of them and tried to got away with just a procedural bump…

MatejaPetkovic: Thanks! No sequel planned, sorry. ;) I had lots of ideas for the story but I had to cut somewhere because of time constraints.

Slowgolde: Thanks. It’s really a great feeling to see that the initial vision survived through an entire production.

paintbox: Thank you! In the end, a smile is all I work for. Glad it worked with you!

noizFactory: Thanks you! A minute is really short indeed, and a lot of work went into the storyboard to make sure everything had a purpose. Actually, the 2D-like intro was a way of lengthening the story while saving production time. I never would have had enough time to do it all in full 3D.

Jeez, this post is massive already, but since Roberto asked, I’ll try to give a brief overview of the production.

The first version of the script was done somewhere around May last year, as well as the first storyboard. We had to start working on an environment and model one character in some classes, but I redid pretty much everything during the summer, and redid most of that again during fall. Storyboard was constantly and completely reworked from September to December, to the point where only one or two shots survived from the original version. Teachers were very involved and sat with us each week to see our progress. Classes stopped for the winter break, and I used the full month to rework everything once again. I repainted all of the mountain textures from scratch and also sharpened the modeling. Most importantly, I went through a complete overhaul of the color theme, which was very cold and dark up to that point. I finally was ready for animation in the end of January. We worked one third of the film at a time (15 secs), so we were alternating between 2 weeks of animation followed by two weeks of lighting, rendering and comp. It was supposed to be final but obviously it never really was until the very end. I used a lot of camera projections to get the resolution I needed on the close-ups. It really was a shot-by-shot job. A LOT of work went in the compositing, and it really made all the difference in the world.

Oh, and I might as well thank Philipp Spöth for his great Frischluft plug-in for After Effects. It helped tremendously in achieving the depth of field effects I wanted.

PS : I’m sorry if I forgot someone!

polysncoffee
08-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Awesome work .. great job, for some reason I feel like going kitesurfing after watching that...

Chicano3000X3
08-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Amazing job man. Hope to be as good as you some day..

maozao
08-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Congratulations David ;)

That was wonderful

andreasrocha
08-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Absolutely amazing! Congratulations on a wonderful job...I see a very promising future for you.

mfiorilli
08-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Completement fou !

Jeremydjutras
08-26-2009, 09:23 PM
wow awesome short! nice look and feel. I was most impressed with the subtle animation in your character goooood job.

Abazaba
08-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Stunning. Love the integration of him being disabled. 5 stars!!

Bif
08-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Short, sweet, and really well done. I enjoyed it very much!

cheers

svelan
08-27-2009, 05:02 AM
Nice work!!!

Melstrom
08-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Superb, loving that French feel to the whole short and the sun shots are amazing.

:bounce:

AVTPro
08-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Stupendous Work, Great Story

Love the textures and editing.

Awesomeness to say the least.
:buttrock: :bounce: :applause:

rydgen
08-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Very nice job indeed! The fact that you created every aspect of the short is impressive. I have been in a slump after graduating a few months back, and your film has definitely inspired me to get these ideas I've had for a while started. It's a beautiful piece of work.

Frotze
08-28-2009, 02:15 AM
Such great feedback, guys! Deeply appreciated!

polysncoffee: Haha, I purposely kept the last shot for the very end of the production and MAN did it felt liberating to animate him fly like that. Seriously, it was almost like doing the real thing myself. Cheers!

Chicano3000X3: Thanks mate, it means a lot. There’s no secret but hard dedicated work and grabbing every feedback you can.

maozao: Hey thanks, very happy to see you here Gabriel. Sorry I was away from the sketchbooks threads lately, I’ll try to make a come back soon. :)

andreasrocha: Thanks for the encouraging words! I don't plan to stop here, hehe! ;)

Mfiorilli: Merci, vieux! ;)

Jeremydjutras: Thanks Jeremy. Greatly appreciated.

Abazaba: Thanks for the comment!

Bif: Very appreciated, thanks!

Svelan: Thanks man!

Melstrom: Ha, didn’t realize it had a French feel, but I guess that’s a good thing. I’m proud to be French! And I’m glad you liked the mattepainting, that’s one of the thing I changed over and over because I felt it was so important to get right. Cheers!

AVTPro: Thank you for the great comments!

EDIT:

rydgen: You know what, that's probably one of the nicest thing someone could tell me. Somewhere right in the middle of my production, I saw Hemlock by Tyson Ibele and it gave me the motivation I needed to really finish my film and give it all I got. Thank you, and wish you good luck in your future projects!

tiber
09-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Very impressive and professional. Light years from the demo i had when i finished shcool...
Great things you can do if you continue like that.

martinf430
09-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Loved the look and feel of this, im also glad i watched the HD version!. Could u go into a bit of detail on how u lit your scene and how u got the impressive sun effects? great work!

Frotze
09-17-2009, 02:37 PM
@tiber : Thanks Guillaume!

@martinf430 : Hey Martin, I'm glad that you watched the HD version. A lot of work went into making it work at that level (even though there are still a few lower-resolution spots that I really wish I had the time to fix). But anyway, I sure can explain a little my lighting and comp process. It's really nothing fancy. I used Mental Ray for rendering, but I did a few test and decided not to use Global Illumination nor Final Gather in my shots, because I felt I didn't have enough control and it was heavy on the render time. So basically, I used tons of localised lights to simulate the bounce of light. I usually would import a light setup from a previous similar shot, keep the main lights and do a render and see what I got. Then I would cheat the lights until I get something interesting, and start adding back lights and bounces, often associated with only an object or too. There are many cases where I had over 10 to 15 lights in a shot.

As for the sun, it's kind of shot-specific, but in essence it's a combination of mattepainting and a large glow obtained with a level adjustment (mainly accentuating the reds). Obviously, there's also the occasional lens-flare.

I hope it answers your question!

FreeFlight
09-17-2009, 03:50 PM
this was great, loved it visually, and the sound was spot on.

Ajouz
09-18-2009, 07:13 PM
amazing! i love the environment and character, i am not sure about his expression at the end though, his eyebrows looks kinda sad or helpless, non the less, it looks great.

Frotze
09-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks a lot FreeFlight. I'm no sound guy so it wasn't an easy task for me. That said, I'm quite satisfied with what I ended up with. Sound is such in important aspect of a film, you really don't wan't to screw that up.

Hey Ajouz, thanks for the comments! I had a hard time getting the expression right at the end. I think my rig ended up much more suited for sad of pain expression than happiness. That's something I plan to work on more next time.

CGTalk Moderation
09-23-2009, 05:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.