PDA

View Full Version : Desk Lamp CC

phix314
08-22-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm working on a small lighting portfolio, and was curious to see what improvements can be made to the lighting of this image. I'm shooting to keep everything procedural (no external progs)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p104/roaphotosharing/Maya/desklamp.jpg

Maya 2k9, mr.

ndeboar
08-24-2009, 10:03 AM
I think this is looking pretty good.

Lightings fine, the scene could do with some work. Really hard edge between the wall and the desk, wall is quite bland and maybe to much bump.

And i would never put a clock that low on a wall, looks out of place.

phix314
08-27-2009, 07:13 AM
At least the lighting is good :)

Yea I'm not really sure where I'm going with the scene... in terms of composition. As for the bump, I'm using my wall as a reference, and I thought so too at first, but it looks pretty damn close to what's a foot from me. I guess whoever spackled my walls went berserk ;)

kanooshka
09-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi Phix314, looking good! There's a few suggestions I'd like to make to push this image the extra mile. First of all I posted an image with some post processing in Photoshop. As you can see a good thing to keep in mind is that dark areas are usually more saturated than the brighter areas and the bright areas are usually less saturated. This is a common issue that causes the brightly saturated ring at the lights bright edges...and is always hard to prevent. Also, you may want to avoid having areas that are perfectly white, for example where the bulb is, especially in this lighting situation where the camera's exposure is fairly low.

As far as other aspects go you may want to add some slight reflectivity to the wall as well as take a close look at the corner. The corner is very flat and also planar. If you look at most corners on walls they're slightly more rounded and have imperfections where the paint collects.
Finally, I'd suggest adding some slight waviness via bump map to the glass part of the clock, even brand new glass has some imperfections.

http://www.dockay.com/CGTalk/help/phix314_Desk_Lamp_PP.jpg

mister3d
09-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Kanooshka, great post. :applause:

phix314
09-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Nice.. some stuff I didn't realize in there. Thank you!

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2009, 11:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.