PDA

View Full Version : Animation Reel 2009-Kamil Hepner

HEKTOR
08-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Hi!

This is my last Animation Reel, I have you like it. I also will be grateful for any coments.
High res (http://www.kamil-animator.com/Animations/KamilHepner2009.mov)
Mid res (http://www.kamil-animator.com/Animations/Mid_KamilHepner2009.mov)
Poor quality (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb623c3iqvM)

Best regards!

Sorry for my English!

HEKTOR
08-28-2009, 02:50 PM
I put this on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb623c3iqvM maybe now somebody want to watch this.

rydgen
08-28-2009, 05:16 PM
That's a pretty good reel you created, Kamil. The animation is good, and you seem to have a firm grasp on the principles. The acting is very nice, and it has some good, subtle motions in it. However, I did see a few things that you could improve upon.

Even though you do have some good overlapping action in your animation, most of the time the characters look like they're drifting from pose to pose, with no change in pace. A good way to determine timing is recording yourself or someone else doing the actions, then pacing the animation to that reference video, frame for frame. From there you can change the pace to suit your needs. This goes for the lip syncing also. It is very loose and needs to hit the major phenomes, stay in that shape for a couple frames, then move to the next.

All the heads look like they're filled with water. I know you're using squash and stretch on the heads to exaggerate total squash and stretch, but it's used too much. Perhaps if you use it every now and then on huge movements it would work, but it doesn't need to be used every time the head moves.

There seem to be a lot of long, idle moments that could be shortened up, particularly with the gunman, frog, and porch scenes. These could be fixed if you played with the timing as mentioned above.

The reel as a whole is very long. It is really best to use shorter clips of the animations, getting to the heart of what you want to show off in each animation. Again, if you correct the timing, some of them should become shorter. Or, instead of using six assets, you used the three or four best assests. Then you can show your best works in their entirety.

I like the dancing guy in the intro, but it seems to be pretty plain. Perhaps if you have your contact info slide onto the screen while he's dancing, it would make for a more animated intro. The final asset is too dark to see what's going on, particularly at the end. I know that's the mood you are going for, but it still seems too dark. I would also recommend fading to your contact info at the end.

I know this feels like a lot of criticism, but as I said you do have a good grasp on the essentials, you just need to focus more on timing. You've got great animation ideas and I'd like to see your work get even better. Good luck!

AdamGillespie
08-30-2009, 05:49 AM
I really liked the opening, even got my girl to come over from her desk when she heard the Gorillaz.

Just like Jeremy stated, I think you definitely have a firm grasp on the principles of animation, especially with your weight. However your timing seems a bit sluggish, with characters having a tendency to be about 50% slower than they should be and I saw a few points where the limbs seemed a bit detached from the body (ie. with the old guy and the cane, his arm is shaking uncontrollably as old folks do, but his shoulder and torso were nice and rigid). I would also try to avoid really long intros to either a character or an animation in that an employer will get bored. They look at these reels all day, every day so you need to keep their attention the whole time.

A good way I have found to check for these slow points is watch your reel, then watch it again 2 more times. If on the third time you watch it you are finding yourself fast forwarding past animations or looking away to grab a mountain dew and some cheetos, then that is not a good animation to showcase. A 1 minute reel filled with nothing but awesome is a million times better than a 3 minute reel where someone turns it off halfway through.

I definitely thought the humor in it was good and the weight felt pretty solid. For working on timing I suggest 1 to 1 animation. Video tape yourself doing *something*, anything really, and make a character do THE EXACT same. No glitches. All subtleties, everything. Then do it again. Eventually you will find it becoming second nature to know exactly what frame you will need from pose to pose.

Keep it up!

-AJ

HEKTOR
08-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Thank you guys for your perceptive analysis Iím very appreciate for that! Now I what fix and what improve. Very big thanks!

Best regards!

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2009, 12:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.