PDA

View Full Version : Light rig

abhiinlight
08-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi all, :)
how can i create the light rigs and dome light in maya software ? is there any tips or tutorials on that ?
please suggest me.

rainydaze
08-21-2009, 12:17 PM
light rig for what situation?

abhiinlight
08-21-2009, 07:43 PM
light rig for what situation?

for any kind of situation in a day. i just want to know about types of light rigs and how can i make it ?

abhiinlight
08-29-2009, 06:00 AM
Hey.... please Reply
can anybody tell me the procedure of making light rig in maya ?

mister3d
08-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Hey.... please Reply
can anybody tell me the procedure of making light rig in maya ?

Light rigs are just combinations of lights for different purposes. For example it can be a skylight rig, which would simulate what we usually have as a skylight light type. It would consist of a spherically distributed spotlights with sharp shadows, which together would make a soft shadow. Nowadays such rigs, simulating skylight with soft shadows are less demanded, as we have a skylight light, which may be not longer to render. Why are they called "rigs"? I think because they are usually linked to a helper object like dummy to easily manipulate it. I guess another controls are possible, like the total intensity control, or osme other animated parameters wired to sliders.
Let's say you are a lighter and work on a srquence with another lighters. There should be a continuity from shot to shot, so you could create light rigs (like a 3-point setup, or 2-point, or more etc.) and share it between a lighter group, so you or others could start working from a light rig that was used and approved on previous shots.
So basically it's a combination of lights which are organised somehow. Hope it helps.

phix314
08-29-2009, 06:10 PM
abhiinlight- I think your lack of responses is due to an incredibly vague question. Try narrowing it down more to a specific type of rig, or perhaps an individual process, like using expressions or somesuch thing. It's like asking 'how do I paint' on an art forum... ;)

abhiinlight
08-31-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks for both of you to give me this information and suggestion. and sorry for late relpy.
The thing is that, i dont know the types of making light rigs. now i get it that we can simulate the GI in normal software render with using the light rigs. ya here i want to make a light rig for a character and exterior (outdoor look) lighting and with this light rig i can change the deferent types of moods in a day. so this type of light rig how can i make manually or using expressions ? which is the easiest way to make it and change it fast to create the deferent type of environment or moods in the day?
I want to learn both types. i dont have knowledge about using expressions for light rigs so please can u explain me about that or give me any tutorial link on that. i realy want to learn that so please help me. :curious:

CGTalk Moderation
08-31-2009, 10:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.