PDA

View Full Version : Anaglyph video Encoding ??

Whistler2k
08-20-2009, 07:02 PM
We're creating a stereoscopic product visualization for a client. The client now has decided that he wants to also distribute the clip in anaglyph format to his clients. My problem now is, thet I need to find a way to encode a 720p clip in a pretty sandard format that "normal" people can use, like .wmv, .mpg or Quicktime and have it fit on a USB thumbdrive ...

I've tried several things out of After Effects, but as soon as I stop using lossless codecs like Huffyuv, Quicktimes Animation Codec, uncompressed etc. I get nasty shadowing on the edges of the anaglyph clip, presumably due to the fact that the encoding process compresses and alters the high contrasting edges of the red / cyan color channels ...

Does anyone know / have a way of dealing with that? I would be glad for any help!!

-Alex

beaker
08-21-2009, 12:24 AM
with any type of mpg file(mpg, mp4, h264), you need to increase the P frames and shrink the GOP so there are less predictive frames being created.

beaker
08-21-2009, 12:42 AM
Just to clarify. With MPEG 2 you want the GOP Structure IP instead of IBP or IBBP and the GOP something like 6 instead of the default of 15. This will increase the quality of your encode. If your using H264 you want do similar and decrease the GOP size and make the analysis size smaller(4x4 instead of the 8x8 default).

What compression app are you using and what codecs have you tried.

Whistler2k
08-21-2009, 04:37 AM
Thanks for your help beaker! I'm on my way to work now and will try it out once I'm there. I normally encode straight out of After Effects, or use Adobe Media Encoder. For Quicktimes I use Quicktime Pro. I'll check what Options I have in the different Apps and give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes!

--Alex

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2009, 04:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.