PDA

View Full Version : Vue Ventilator Influence Water?

narenn
08-20-2009, 07:58 PM
I've created a scene with a still river and animated a helicopter flying above it. How can I make ripples showing the wind blowing from the helicopter's propellers to the water below? I tried both ventilator types and they don't influence the water at all.

FYI, I created the environment and camera movement in Vue, brought the scene into Maya via xStream, and animated the helicopter. I'm using After Effects to composite everything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Chris1106
08-21-2009, 07:05 AM
I don't think theres a build in way to do what you want, at least not in Vue. Ventialtors and wind only work with/on plants. But Maya is a powerful tool, there should be a way to do what you want. Maybe one of the more enlightened guys here can give you a tip.

narenn
08-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Thanks Chris. I saw on e-on's website that it doesn't effect water.

I've been experimenting using the pond and emitter preset in Maya. I'll probably repost this question in the Maya forum, but if anyone has any more tips, please let me know.

nPellegrino
08-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Using a graph setup you could link a vent to water for interaction. You can use the outputs of the wind as inputs in the water displacement.

It is possible, but it could take a little setting up. Maybe I'll make a tool for this and add it to snowflake.

Chris1106
08-25-2009, 07:52 AM
Asilefx is right. There might be a way over the function editor of the water plane.

http://www.bilderhost.com/images/u6vou8ow36uu7o7rss5y.jpg

By adding a input node (external dependency) you can choose "Ventialtor and its properties".

As im not too familiar with the whole graph thing, i wasn`t able to get any useful result. My guess is you have to add more nodes.

BigSky
08-27-2009, 12:57 PM
I'd take a look at compositing a pond in with fluid effects. You can sex it up with nparticles, which will very probably give you just what you are looking for. You might have to change your workflow a bit to include passes and comps, but we all have to go there some time or other...big learning curve, but in the end, more time to sleep.

narenn
08-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm experimenting right now. Here is how the shot looks like, to give you guys an idea on what I'm working with.

Note the proportions and cc are slightly off. Latest version is still on my comp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci2kQOXmEGU&fmt=22

CGTalk Moderation
08-27-2009, 05:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.