PDA

View Full Version : Locked threads prevent deletion of attachments...

PiXeL_MoNKeY
08-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Either lock threads or limit uploads, but don't do both. I have attachments in locked threads so I can no longer manage those files, because of this I can no longer upload files. Please fix this problem IMMEDIATELY!

Edit: Please delete all my attachements from 2002-2007.

-Eric

Kirt
08-20-2009, 07:45 PM
If you'd done a search in this forum you'd find that the solution would be to post a link to the locked threads and one of the Admins would be able to remove the attachments for you.

khendar
08-21-2009, 01:12 AM
Done. Next time try not to be so rude about it.

PiXeL_MoNKeY
08-21-2009, 04:16 AM
Well the rudeness is a side effect of a flawed system. To have "attachment management" that doesn't allow you to manage your attachements is frustrating. I wouldn't have been rude if I wasn't frustrated.

This has obviously come up more than once, and yet the problem still exists. Someone should try and find a better solution. Notify users that the thread will be locking soon and they need to manage their attachments, don't prevent the deletion of attachments because a thread is locked, give users an option to have attachments removed prior to the autolocking.

-Eric

khendar
08-21-2009, 04:21 AM
Well the rudeness is a side effect of a flawed system. To have "attachment management" that doesn't allow you to manage your attachements is frustrating. I wouldn't have been rude if I wasn't frustrated.

This has obviously come up more than once, and yet the problem still exists. Someone should try and find a better solution. Notify users that the thread will be locking soon and they need to manage their attachments, don't prevent the deletion of attachments because a thread is locked, give users an option to have attachments removed prior to the autolocking.

-Eric

Its come up once or twice since I've been here. In a forum of tens of thousands of users, its frankly a drop in the ocean. The problem is that there is no easy fix. The attachments management system is embedded deep in VBulletin's code, and to try and work around it would mean taking development time away from things that are more important, such as portfolios and challenges. Its a matter of seconds to delete the old attachments when requested, all it requires is some degree of patience on the part of the requester.

PiXeL_MoNKeY
08-21-2009, 05:17 AM
What about an e-mail/PM request that can be sent to you or whoever from the attachment management page? Just trying to think of ways it can be addressed from the management page, since right now there is no information on the attachment management page about how to handle this situation, which was another part of my frustration. I understand that it could be difficult/impossible to fix, but maybe some solution would keep it from coming up in the future.

-Eric

Kirt
08-21-2009, 05:26 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/profile.php?do=editattachments

I think the time limit is 2 years of inactivity before a thread auto locks. You could just manage your attachments once a quarter or twice a year. I think that's why we put the link in your UserCP.

PiXeL_MoNKeY
08-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Nope it is 12 months, so yes that could help, but still not perfect. The problem is I don't know when a thread will lock unless I revisit all of the threads. So threads stay active for months/years, while others are much more short lived. May if there was some way to indicate how long a thread has been inactive in the attachment management. Then users would know when the thread could be locking and manage as neccessary.

-Eric

Kirt
08-21-2009, 09:52 PM
If you look at the link I posted it shows the date when you attached the image. It's not that difficult to manage your attachments this way. Also, the only reason a thread would close earlier than the time limit is if a FL manually closes it for posting violations. In which case you would come here, post a link and ask nicely for your attachments to be removed if you desire.

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2009, 09:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.