PDA

View Full Version : Modeling: Joan of Arc - Foot Start

sixeastmain
08-05-2003, 01:10 AM
I am going to attempt the Joan of Arc Tutorial at Michel Roger's website. I'm a newbie with 3D Studio Max and CG in general and was wondering, when I start the foot, do I create a Box w/ Box Modifier or a Box w/ Cube Modifier?

Peter

Stroker
08-05-2003, 02:40 AM
Start with a box.
Convert to Editable Poly.

sixeastmain
08-05-2003, 02:54 AM
So is that as a Box or Cube? See the Picture --> Creation Method Rollout.

http://sixeastmain.com/3d/Creation_Method.jpg

Which do I select?

Peter

Murf_Miser
08-05-2003, 04:53 AM
it doesn't really matter, your just going to be moving the corners around everywhich way in a while anywawy:rolleyes: , i would go with a box box that best fits the size of the foot.

Good luck

sixeastmain
08-05-2003, 12:41 PM
Allright, thank's for input from both. A Box w/ Box modifier it will be. I'll try to post how things are going as I continue through it.

Peter

Primitive
08-05-2003, 07:07 PM
It ain't really a box modifier, just a creation method.

As said before it doesn't really matter what creation method you will be using right now since you will have to move around all the vertices,

But box will be just fine.

Deathcricket
08-05-2003, 10:04 PM
I'm a newbie and am half way through this so I can help you a bit as well. First ignore what he says about mesh selects and mesh edits, just make a box the size you need and then right click> covert to editable poly. Then whenever he says to "cut" something, just go into edge mode, select the edges you want and click "connect". It will draw a line in between the edges. You can even put 3 or 4 at once!

So I suggest making a rough draft or very general outline, then go back and add detail by connecting the edges. Worked a lot better for me. So make a box that stretches the total length of the bottom-foot, then just connect it with 4 edges for detail as you go. When you get to the armor part we should compare notes!

sixeastmain
08-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Thank's for the input from all. I will give you a shout when I get to the armor bit. I hope to do most of the body this week and be ready to start the next part by the weekend.

Peter

Loudphoton
08-09-2003, 07:07 PM
Im doing the tutorial too, im not all that new to max but most of the people on here would think of me as a newbie.

I've done the body and im on to the head now, I think I did the first part in about 3 days of VERY lax work

Deathcricket
08-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Nice! I'm about half way through the armor part (doing chest now) and it's coming along nicely. The main thing I screwed up on was going into too much detail when modeling. Now that I'm just going back and covering up all the stuff I spent so much time on I feel a bit bad. Not to mention having to weld a lot of verticies due the armor having less/different details. Oh well, live and learn :D

Next time I will just throw some basic stuff on there and move along, hehe.

Loudphoton
08-12-2003, 07:23 PM
Yeah, i made that same mistake, i spent ages and ages making her figure perfect :love: lol

sixeastmain
08-12-2003, 07:42 PM
I think that is my problem at the moment. I'm trying to get the foot to match up perfectly and all I need to do is get it close. Mesh Smooth will take care of the rest.

Peter

Deathcricket
08-12-2003, 09:10 PM
Well it's not so much about getting mesh smooth to finish it up. More like you are going to be just detaching the faces later on and making them into a boot. So no matter how good it looks, mesh smoothed or not, it will be completely covered and not even seen! It is good practice for my first char though. Sooner or later we will all have to make a decent looking foot, may as well start now :)

If I was doing it again I would spend way more time on the stuff you do see (like the armor) and not the stuff that gets covered up. I just find myself getting burned out now and wanting to start a new project. So making the armor is now less important than when I was tweaking her foot. I can only imagine if I had been working on this for months, lol.

-Deathcricket-

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.