PDA

View Full Version : Basic animation/composing HELP

VSLX
08-04-2003, 09:57 PM
Long time no see guys... anyway I need a bit of your help.
I am doing some multimedia presentation for some company, and as a part of it I've done modeling of some satellite.
For now everything was easy, since everything was in stills for their needs (some catalogs, etc.... print & web material), but now I need to do some animation... and that's where I get into problems.

I should make something like the satellite flying around the earth. I have the idea and everything, and I think I know how can I do it... it's just a pair of doubts I've got...

Since the only thing in motion is going to be the satellite (I will use in background the static img for earth, or maybe short animation, but that's not so important) I will render the satellite animation sequence separated. Now the question is:

SHOULD I RENDER AVI/QUICKTIME WITH BLUE BG, so I can just set the transfer mode (or maybe green bg?) using AE...
OR I SHOULD HANDLE IMAGE SEQUENCES?

My question is general... on composing in motion..... since I have 0. Any advices or guides for a newbie such as me are very welcome and appreciated.

Thank you,
VSLX.

Jayk2k
08-04-2003, 10:42 PM
Almost always go with a Targa or Tiff, or even SGI sequence. These will have an embedded alpha channel, and will have non-lossy compression of the still images.

The second you do a green/blue BG and have to pull the content out from it, you're most likely to run into problems. AVI/Quicktime also degrade the image, and can cause unwanted artifacts before hand.

Ideally when compositing, you want the highest quality as long as possible, and then only output to the lowest common format.

marchermann
08-04-2003, 10:45 PM
I would use image sequences, save them as 32bit PNGs (good lossless compression format). This way you'd have the alpha channel included (telling your compositing app, where and to what amount to let the background can be seen.

Marc

Chris
08-05-2003, 11:21 PM
if it was a big sequence I'd go with TGA's or PNG's as an image sequence (so if you run into render problems you can render parts again). However if you dont anticipate any problems during render, you could render to a Quicktime movie, using the Animation codec (set on Best, millions of colours +) this gives the same sort of lossless compression as TGA's, with an alpha channel (so no chromakeying) & its all in one file. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.