PDA

View Full Version : mia material x: remove opacity in alpha

DanielKochlowski
08-19-2009, 05:34 PM
hi,

I have a scene where I use mia material x shaders. It's a simple groundplane and an object. Now I want to render the scene in two seperate pieces, background and the object. The object layer should carry the shadows and reflections on the ground...how can I do that. I could set that up in maya with no problems but mia and mr...no idea. The scene has raytraced shadows and FG enabled. So it's not possilbe to just remove the ground because it reflects some light.

this is the simple way...abolutely perfect would be to have the fron, back, shadows and reflections in seperate layers. but for the start let's keep it simple

any help is greatly appreciated

cheers

daniel

RaeTracer
08-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Do you have Maya 2009? If so - pass contribution maps are the way to go. Set up as many passes as you want, and a separate contribution map for each object: http://bit.ly/multi_render_passes_workflow

For this, you'll need to go into your mia shader and click "upgrade to mia_material_x_passes" to get it to work right.

If not, they you can use a render layer where the ground "primary visibility" is turned off, so it still causes reflections, and then do another where the object primary visibility is off, to just catch the shadow of it.

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2009, 03:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.