PDA

View Full Version : Feature Film (NewLife)

Soon2bAnimator
08-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey everybody....My name is Antoine and i have been working on a feature film for the better part of a year during my free time (which is a lot less than i would like)...This film is an original Sci-Fi action film about a man taking revenge on who is now president of the new world called The Envision Nation. The President of this new world who stole an empire and slaughtered the main character's family. So far i've been doing a little bit of everything at once trying to get things done in a timely manner. i could really use a hand with this...i started a freelance animation/ graphic design company called Hardcore Animation Studios TM a few years back...and though we have been successful in the freelance market we want to expand to a feature film animation company and this movie is our ticket to do this. Everyone that wants to join up will be credited and when my business partner and i find investors and the film makes money everyone who joined will be paid for there efforts.

What we need

Modelers
Animators
Lighting artist
Texture artist
Sound Designers
Storyboard Artist

<removed enormous image - admin>

Soon2bAnimator
08-19-2009, 05:04 PM
sorry about the huge images i'll rescale them in a few :)

Soon2bAnimator
08-19-2009, 08:17 PM
http://hardcoreanimation.net/Pictures/eNvISIONsm.jpg

http://hardcoreanimation.net/Pictures/RosePoseSM.jpg

softdistortion
08-20-2009, 03:21 AM
I want to say something helpful, but...oh my! :surprised

I admire your ambition, but a feature film?

Maybe I'm missing something, but have you looked at the state of the industry at the moment?

imo, you guys need to go back to the drawing board...you have a way to go to be at even a previz level.

Still....crazier things happen....more power to you. :wip:

Soon2bAnimator
08-20-2009, 05:27 AM
thanx for the good luck......but..this is my dream....and i refuse to let it fall through my fingers due to the state of the industry...this film will be completed even if i have to do it all by myself...i love my craft enough not to wanna just do freelance for the rest of my liife....again thanx for the good luck comment...hopefully i can get more ppl on board

softdistortion
08-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Having a dream and pursuing it is not anything i would want to discourage.

Still I think you need to give more consideration to the state of what is happening now regarding things like visual quality etc. That's going to impact you at every level...even getting the people you need to help!

If you want to get others excited about your ideas, you need to convey them in a VERY compelling way. If a picture is worth a thousand words, it's worth even more in a graphics centered site like CGTalk.

I'm not saying you need to post images that are front page material, but if you shoot for a high quality in all that you present (even your website and posts layout/tex), it will help you get people moving your way.

Maybe you need to clarify your intent?
Are you making a machinima (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machinima) movie?
Or a full CG /live action Movie?

Soon2bAnimator
08-21-2009, 01:07 AM
i see i see...yeah its kinda hard to do everything at once and maintain top notch quality...the images i put up will be re-visited in the near future but for now that's all i have

sinbad
08-21-2009, 01:34 PM
With respect, I admire anyone having dreams and ambitions, we all have them, but I think you need to connect with reality a little bit. The web is full of so-called "animation companies", anyone can set one up. Bringing the skills is the hard part. A feature?? Look at the outstanding quality on this site and ask yourself "am I in this league right now". I know I'm not, but this is something for us all to aim for. Features are huge huge undertakings, normally with budgets over a million dollars at least. I would focus on improving your skills with a short first to prove your abilities. Then people might listen. Don't give up, of course, but also be honest about your own standard.

Ibeechu
08-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Everyone in this thread is right, OP. A few months ago, I made my first short film, about 10 minutes in length. I did about 97% of it myself, and it killed me to death. Took about a month and a half, and ended up not being very good to boot. EVen for that 10-minute project, with very little character animation, I realize now that it was way too ambitious for one person. In this stage, you're no doubt getting fired up and excited about seeing your finished product and sharing it with everyone, but it's a loooooong road. A feature film? Come on. Certainly not by yourself. It'll take you years and, especially if you've never made any sort of animation before, you'll wholly dislike the quality at the end.

Right now I'm about a third or so through a much less ambitious 2- or 3-minute project, and already it's taking its toll. College is starting in a few days, and I'm wondering when I'll have the time to continue. I would give anything for at least one other person who is as excited about the project as I am to help me with even a few things. Character modelign and rigging. That would take a load off my mind. And this has been a few months already, for a 3-minute project. I suspect that, after I get this final character built and rigged, I can finish before the end of the year. But, again, that's 2- or 3-minutes.

Look at the greats, Pixar for example. They had a team of guys (4, or 5 to start with, I believe) make 5 short films before attempting Toy Story. Now, the technology was slow and clunky to begin with, but still. If you just dive right into this project, ESPECIALLY by yourself, you're going to regret it. It'll eat up all your time, and you won't get 10% into it before you give up. And if, by some miracle, you manage to get through the entire feature and come out alive, you'll abhor the quality. It'll look like Ratatoing or something. But, don't misread that. It's not anything about your talent or ambition. NOBODY would be able to pull off a feature film by themselves for their first try. If they did, and it was good, they'd probably be the love child of Walt Disney and John Lasseter, with a sprinkling of Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas, plus satan.

I'm not trying to discourage you... well, I AM trying to discourage you. But only from wasting your time trying to make a feature by yourself. Get your feet wet, that's my strongest advice. Start with, for example, a ten second animation, or something. Move on to a very short story, maybe 30-seconds or 1-minute in length. Try to get a team together, even if it's just you and one other person. Work on projects that aren't your own, for other people looking for help, etc. But I guarantee that if you go forward with this, you will fail. Not to sound like a jerk, but it's true for anybody.

Soon2bAnimator
08-23-2009, 09:55 PM
thanx for all the discouragement guys really appreciate it....so yea now comes the explainations

Sinbad: so-called animation companies?....plz im not here to impress anyone i know what my strong suit is.....and im not gonna pretend that im the best modeler in the world because im not....but i dont suck at it...i would love to have someone better than me in that area join up but if not...im all i got

Ibeechu: thanx for the input but i really didn't need to co-sign on everyone elses comments...thanx for the story with the best intentions but if i've herd it 3times already a fourth isnt very helpful...again respectfully thank you but i didn't need that

What i've realized
people are so accustom to giving a helping hand for shorts but are terribly afraid to commit to a project longer than 3mins...this industry was built off pioneers who have done things that have never been done before and have sacrificed much more than a few hrs a day to complete a feature film....you have ppl like Walt Disney, UB Iwerks, and the founding members of UPA, to name a few...who took HUGE risks when ppl said they were crazy...and yea sure they failed more than a few times at 1st...but guess what....they made it...and yes the industry IS in shards right now..and no one is handing out jobs...so you know what..its time for a selective few to stand up and make a way...show there love for the medium, step up, and put there money where they're mouth is...you wanna be an animator working on a movie BAM do it...you wanna be a modeler for a movie BAM do it !!...worst case senerio you have an awesome product you can put on your real that you put your heart into...bests case senerio...Fox, HBO, or someone up high wants to market and release your product and you get paid for your hard work......im just looking for THAT group of ppl that are willing to take a small time sacrifice at a chance at greatness...so plz if you dont wanna join up plz no more posts

karabo
08-25-2009, 02:07 AM
Ok, I think a serious reality check is in order here. People have tried to help you and you disregard what they are telling you so here it is:

Simply put, you are not good enough to make a feature length film...period. Your work is of sub-par quality and you would be better served trying to work to improve your artistic skills. Working on short films would definitely be a good way to build towards the ultimate goal of making a feature film. Features take studios like Pixar up to 3 years and they have hundreds of people working for them on a full time basis. In order for you to produce something good with a small handful of artists working for you would take you at least a decade if not more. I'm not saying that you can't ever make a feature, I'm just saying that you need to get better at animation filmmaking before you go trying to tackle a feature length film. How are you gonna feel if you spend ten years on it and it's crap?
The whole idea that you would want to make a feature film when you are so new to the industry and with the quality of work you are producing is laughable if I'm honest. It's good to aim high but you are setting your sights on Pluto and trying to get there on a bicycle. It's just plain silly. Take small steps and eventually you will get where you want to be. It took John Lasseter 20 years to start making feature films at Pixar and now his company makes the best animated feature films in the business. They were just doing tests and making shorts before that. You seem to think that you are above that.
And as for making money, that's probably the silliest part of all. NO-ONE will pay to see a film that looks like the stills you have shown here, except for maybe your mother and a few of her friends. Any one with an ounce of sense would not invest their hard earned money on such a film. I'm just being honest, take it how you will.
Now I have no doubt that you will simply dismiss what I am telling you as you have already done with the people who posted before me even though they are giving you good, solid advice. That's you choice. I don't know why you even put this up here if you weren't going to listen to what people have to say. Clearly you just wanted people to kiss your ass and tell you how awesome your work is...good luck with that...
Oh, and by the way, stop telling people not to post. This is a public forum which means that if you put your work up here, it's up for public scrutiny whether you like it or not. If you don't want people posting, do us all a favor and keep your work to yourself.

Seriously dude.

BOY1DA
08-25-2009, 07:56 AM
With all that has been said above, as long as you are not hurting anybody.
Go for it, "LIVE like you are going to die tomorrow, LEARN like you are going to live for ever" .

It is your journey enjoy it, win lose or draw !

softdistortion
08-25-2009, 12:55 PM
...as long as you are not hurting anybody.
Go for it, "LIVE like you are going to die tomorrow, LEARN like you are going to live for ever" .
It is your journey enjoy it, win lose or draw !

I know what you are saying, it's a nice sentiment, but not sure that makes sense in here...this is a collab forum, so projects are trying to get others to join...They join and things folds after they do a bunch of work...maybe they learn a few things to add to their skill, but they also learn that collabs leave a bad taste...that hurts more than 1 person imo.

Chrisguy
08-25-2009, 02:06 PM
I have to agree with the posts above :( But this thing applies to most people including me.

The only way to get better is to start off small, I didnt ,and it took me years to try and figure out how to best go forward with a solid, quality project. In some ways I still have NO CLUE of what I'm doing, just going off of sparse advice from professionals and picking off articles to lump them all together. It's real hard to get any critiques, in this case your lucky ^^

Its good to have dreams but at the same time get realistic and understand that in order to produce quality work...you have to practice and try it out yourself..."get your feet wet."

The buildings you did for my titans project is great btw! Hopefully we can get this alot more detailed and refined, put tons of care into each piece of work and never rush things. I'll get in contact with you soon about that!

I recommend you check out 3dtotal.com or 3dm3.com because their tutorials are great :D I also recommend looking at the CGtalk articles daily. I wouldnt get to where i am without them ;)

My advice is to keep reading, do research and perfect your modeling!

rjsmal
08-25-2009, 03:08 PM
man all i can say do your thang but there are some things you gotta work on and realize.

1st this is gonna take a long time to do it alone i know im also working on something since 2004.

2nd modeling is not your best skill at the moment try doing some modeling tuto's and read up on anatomy this is very important to any artist but espacially for a 3d artist.

3th and last check your topology/poly flow i didn't see any wires but im just givin you some tips that helped me.

my best wishes and good luck man and dont worry any comments are helpfull even if it doesnt look like it at first.

Soon2bAnimator
08-25-2009, 04:09 PM
ok this is getting a bit redundant...im an "ok" modeler my strong suit is special effects and animation, not modeling (im learning to be better though)...but that's not the point...the point is that im trying to get ppl to join up and help me with a project like everyone else in this forum and all i get is a critique on my MODELING? although helpful these posts are surely discouraging anyone who would consider joining up...plz save the critiques for the WIP thread or just shoot me a PM if you need to tell me something....but dont discourage ppl from a potentially amazing project here !!...either way im sure all you guys ruined any shot i had to recruit ppl on this site to my project so i gues it doesn't matter anymore.......thanx guys

renaissance01
08-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Okay, I think you are taking this way too personally. All of the people commenting and critiqueing are only trying to 'help' you not 'discourage' or 'attack' you. You can't simply blame people who have commented and critiqued on the fact that you can't recruit people.

All they are saying is that the images and scale of the project you have provided are not going to attract people to invest their (valuable) time and effort. Instead people are suggesting that if you do want to attract people to help out, you should work on your skills and present people with a higher quality of work. This may be by either following tutorials, finishing some smaller projects, doing a short film first (I can't stress the short film part enough)etc. I hope you actually take this in, don't take it personally and understand what everyone is trying to say.

Njen
10-30-2009, 02:39 AM
I'm going to chime in here, because it's obvious that the advice people are giving you is worth so much!

Take it from me, in about a weeks time, I will have finished my own first short animated film, 13 minutes in length, that took my wife and I nearly 2 years to make. And that was just for 13 minutes!!!

If you have never made an animation before, start with a short animation first. It will surely open your eyes to how much work that needs to be put in. I mean a good feature length story can take upwards of 6 months with a team of people working on it. And this is before any production has begun whatsoever.

I find it funny that you compare yourself to Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks. First of all, Disney created animation as we know it, a completely new genre and a new way of visualising story...simply a mind blowing feat in itself. Second of all, Disney began first making, yup you guessed it, short animations years before he even attempted to make a feature.

So please, no one in this thread is trying to criticize you, discourage you or put you down for no good reason. So do yourself a favour, and make a short animation first, then come back to these boards with your cool ideas and you will have learned so very much, that I am sure you will eventually make it.

Oh, and if you are serious about forming a well respected animation company that makes shorts and features, drop the name "Hardcore Animation Studios", it screams unprofessionalism.

All the best!

CGTalk Moderation
10-30-2009, 02:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.