PDA

View Full Version : Mathematic Nodes <to> Displacement

Bmoner
08-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Ok to let you know what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to build a Maya Ocean DISPLACEMENT shader from scratch. I knew that to do so I was gonna need some math nodes to do the heavy lifting, so I downloaded some useful nodes from Highend 3D called "Mathematic Nodes 2.0".

Here's the link to the nodes: Mathematic Nodes 2.0 (http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/plugins/rendering/misc/Mathematic-Nodes-4711.html)

I'm trying to find out how to use the math nodes to show up as displacement on a polygon/nurbs surface. Right now I'm working with the Trigonometric node, and am trying to apply the Sin function to the materials displacement channel, but it's not working out.

At the base of EVERY ocean shader is a basic Sin wave, and this is what I'm trying to build off of. I'm trying to use it in a Layered Texture (with other textures/functions) so that I can apply the entire Layered Texture to the displacement channel of a material and have it render out correctly.

Does anyone know how I can get the function to show as displacement on a surface using THESE nodes? Anyone who has the faintest ides of what I'm talking about, your help is needed greatly.

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2009, 08:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.