PDA

View Full Version : rendering using only one core problem

BobProductions
08-19-2009, 06:49 AM
I have a Mac running leopard with a quad core processor. Recently, the computer is rendering using all 4 cores (not in batch render), but then begins to only use one core or 100% (as apposed to 400%) of computational power when it approaches the end of its render. This ends up extending the render time by a tremendous amount. Does anybody know how to correct this?

cgbeige
08-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I see this too but it's normal - there are portions of renderings that aren't multithreaded like post effects like glow that can be slow and use only one cpu.

incidentally, I came back to edit this because I have time because of the same problem. I have a small coconut in my scene that has a lot of displacement, a reflected glow and translucence. This is all complex and because it's small or because of the glow, it's not being split up across cores and it's about 10% of the render time. I need to fix this area and make it less complex or do the glow in post

InfernalDarkness
08-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Sometimes it helps to convert your displaced model directly to polys, but seems like you've probably tried that already? If it is the glow taking so much time (single-threaded), then postwork glow would be an effective way to deal with that I think.

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2009, 06:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.